2009 Honda Fit drivers side inner CV popped out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was replacing the suspension on the Fit today when I noticed that the drivers side strut wasn't going together like it should. There's a clean area on the inner part of the axle. The inner CV joint popped out of the cup part of the tripod joint!

I've got the axle lined up, but it just won't go in. I'm trying to force it with my hands, and it just won't. There are BFH's nearby, but this is a precision-ground joint.

Should I attempt to remove the axle in pieces, re-grease, and re-install? That seems to be the most straightforward thing to do at the moment.

Once the tripot joint (inner CV joint) pops out, the only safe/proper way is to undo the entire CV shaft, set it on a clean table, undo the large end of the inner CV boot, and then re-align (and push) the tripot part back into the joint.

No need to regrease it, just push it back, clean the grease from the mating area (boot lip, etc.) and then install a fresh new CV boot band.

Q.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I was replacing the suspension on the Fit today

Never in my life had I had to replace the suspension on a 6 year old car. Is this one of those ricer mobiles with the f.a.r.t. can exhaust and stickers that give an extra 5 hp?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Never in my life had I had to replace the suspension on a 6 year old car. Is this one of those ricer mobiles with the f.a.r.t. can exhaust and stickers that give an extra 5 hp?

Hey BUBBA! are you insinuating me RE: fard cans for additiona 5hp?!!

J/K. I'm going thro mid-life crisis and up and until now I still no need to add fard cans or "bling blings" to my fit to get by...

I guess I'll be just fine....

*smiles*

Q.

Be careful, there are still some 30 y/o who are still in the "The Fast and the Furious" 2001 phase.

I don't know if this is at all related to your issues, but with my Element, I was replacing my compliance bushing and noticed that the inner CV joint had pulled out, extending the boot (but as far as I know, no additional metal was exposed). I was afraid that I pulled the joint apart and needed some intense remanufacturing.

I did a search online and found that I could just rotate the axle while pushing it back in and it would go in. It did.

At least a few hundred miles later, no new noise or issues with the axle.

Are you sure the joint actually came apart? By coming apart, I am picturing that the shaft is hanging off.

I’ve ran across this issue before, actually on a regular basis when replacing struts on a car with a MacPherson style strut suspension. What I think happens is that something seems to bind up in the inner joint, and essentially prevents you from maneuvering the components enough to allow the strut to go back into the knuckle.

What you do is go to the other side (hopefully it’s still together) and just rotate the axle a few times. If the tire is still attached I just spin the tire a few times. This has worked for me in the past.

edit- re-read your post. That stinks, I'd say you'll have to take the shaft apart and re-assemble. Next time, support the knuckle with a jack-stand when the strut is out of the car.

Last edited:

Drive the rural "roads" up here sometime where this car has lived most of its life. Having this stuff called "snow", something you've clearly never heard of, does some horrible things to roads when it melts and re-freezes all winter long.
Then tell me a 6 year old car with 100k miles doesn't need a new suspension.

Looks like I'm finding a way to get this axle out, get the inner part out, and re-do the clamp. Rats.

I cannot get the inner part out for the life of me. I've tried for about 4 hours to get the inner part out. The special tool that fits behind the inner part is too thick, and grinding it didn't help any. There's not much clearance from the top or bottom, either. Fitting a pry bar in there is quite difficult due to the clearance.

Any advice for getting this thing out?

I cannot get the inner part out for the life of me. I've tried for about 4 hours to get the inner part out. The special tool that fits behind the inner part is too thick, and grinding it didn't help any. There's not much clearance from the top or bottom, either. Fitting a pry bar in there is quite difficult due to the clearance.

Any advice for getting this thing out?

It seems like you gave it your best try, I'd have it towed to a shop before you seriously damage anything else.

Got it out, put the axle all back together, and it's driving! It needed a custom ground FWD axle tool, a long extension, and a hammer to pop it out. $20 well spent on the tool. It'll be driven for a few days to make sure it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back