The Honda 2.4 VCT issue.....long term damage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Honda Accord with the K24z3 engine. Unfortunately it suffers from the VCT grind on start up after sitting for long periods. Seems Honda does not have a fix for this issue so I am curious, what kind of long term damage does this have? Also, what is the purpose of this part? Does it mess up the timing chain and tensioner during the grinding, like...it it starving the tensioner and chain of oil/pressure during the grind? Or is the noise just a nuisance? A member on here kindly let me know that you can jump start the engine to avoid the noise, I just think it's silly that on such a new car this is even an issue but thats beside the point..I am just curious what does this part do, and what damage is occuring from the grind. Thanks guys look forward to leaning more about this!

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, I'll have to try and find an animated you tube video....I'm sure they have something on there. Does anyone know what type of damage occurs from this grinding? I know there is some type of pin but I didn't see it in that illustration

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I had my vtc actuator replaced under warranty , started doing the grinding again like 10K miles later

Do do you just live with it? How long has it been grinding, and have there been any issues as a result?

Grinding? Could this be a tct issue? IIRC a VCT problem would be a clattering sound. My 1.5 honda had a mechanical / non-hyd TCT. Does the 2.4 have a hyd cam chain tensioner? Maybe sticking tensioner.

Honda typically comes around if there is a defect that effects longevity of motor. I personally would not worry much. Maybe take it in once during warranty period/when cold and make sure it gets documented by dealer. That way past warranty you have a leg to stand on if you complain of the issue louder or something actually fails.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Grinding? Could this be a tct issue? IIRC a VCT problem would be a clattering sound. My 1.5 honda had a mechanical / non-hyd TCT. Does the 2.4 have a hyd cam chain tensioner? Maybe sticking tensioner.

ARCO....it's a known problem. It's the VCT solenoid that bleeds down over time...supposedly. I just don't understand why it only happens when it's cold. My Accord can sit for 2 months without a start in July and August, and it starts just fine. But over night or longer when it's below freezing, and the noise is scary.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If it keeps you awake at night and you are constantly worried about the failure, which sounds like you are from other threads, I think it's time to trade for something else.

Well I just purchased the car this month so thats not going to happen. I am just curious if anyone knows if this is a non issue or not. I can live with the noise, but if its doing damage then the part needs to be replaced, even if it will only work for a little while.

Honda VCM problems, now Honda VCT problems. Come on Honda, we know you can make good engines. Stop this trend!
wink.gif

Sorry about my useless post. I was under the impresssion that the pre-GDI 2.4 liter 4 cylinder Honda K24 engine was a known good one.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If it keeps you awake at night and you are constantly worried about the failure, which sounds like you are from other threads, I think it's time to trade for something else.

Well I just purchased the car this month so thats not going to happen. I am just curious if anyone knows if this is a non issue or not. I can live with the noise, but if its doing damage then the part needs to be replaced, even if it will only work for a little while.

Honda claims no damage is being done. They are working on a fix, but don't have one currently. In my mind, if it were truly a non-issue, they wouldn't be working on a fix. However, it must not be a very high priority because its hard to believe Honda's excellent engineers can't solve the problem, so maybe its not a serious issue.

If it were mine, I'd get it replaced under warranty, and if it starts up again, I'd get it replaced again. However, CR and other reliability data still indicate excellent reliability for this engine. At the very least get a case number from Honda so its documented and you will be notified if or when they come up with a fix. I would also consider an extended powertrain warranty if it is possible, depending on your level of concern.

According to a CRV board, this problem goes back as far as 2008, so Honda has been "working on a fix" for a long time. I assume you are aware of the "workaround" - turn the key but don't start the car, wait a few seconds, turn it back off, then turn key the whole way to start the car. This seems to remedy the situation, might be a reasonable solution since this apparently only happens in fairly cold weather.

I didn't due an exhaustive search but I haven't heard of any engines grenading from this, but I wouldn't be happy either.

EDIT: I see you're in Florida. Its mid-summer, so you certainly aren't having cold weather. Yours is the first report I've come across of it happening in warm weather. I would absolutely take it to the dealer and get it checked out and definitively diagnosed.

Last edited:
I am not a Honda hater, far from it, Lord knows we have enough of them in the family and have for over 30 years. But quality has been slipping for some time now. Interestingly last year, I saw where two former Honda CEO's went to the current CEO to say that he is not minding the quality issue and it is hurting the "brand".

In Japan, this...is...simply...not...done. And they weren't there to just talk about the Takata airbag issue. Well it seems this has begun a round of musical chairs in the executive suite since then with the latest guy lasting one month before yet another guy has now taken over.

I had always hoped that Honda was "different" and indeed their quality always bore that hope out until lately. These cycles happen from time to time. I recall over ten years ago Toyota went through this "why do we make windshield wiper motors that last 20 years?" phase and then started sweating parts count along with their suppliers. Quality went to pot and it has taken awhile to get back to "normal" (still not as overbuilt as before). Looks like Honda has gone through that cycle and are trying to find their way back now.

This new guy makes nice sounds but it doesn't sound to me as though he is the answer either. Soichiro Honda reportedly said that Honda was an engine company that made cars. And that's where the precision came from for the cars he wrapped around them. They better get in gear because, as a small company, relatively speaking, their reputation for excellence is all that keeps them going. We need look no further than SAAB and Volvo for damaged brands that prove the theory.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20141112...quality-recalls

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150713/OEM02/307139949/ceo-hachigo-taking-honda-back-to-basics

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
I am not a Honda hater, far from it, Lord knows we have enough of them in the family and have for over 30 years. But quality has been slipping for some time now. Interestingly last year, I saw where two former Honda CEO's went to the current CEO to say that he is not minding the quality issue and it is hurting the "brand".

In Japan, this...is...simply...not...done. And they weren't there to just talk about the Takata airbag issue. Well it seems this has begun a round of musical chairs in the executive suite since then with the latest guy lasting one month before yet another guy has now taken over.

I had always hoped that Honda was "different" and indeed their quality always bore that hope out until lately. These cycles happen from time to time. I recall over ten years ago Toyota went through this "why do we make windshield wiper motors that last 20 years?" phase and then started sweating parts count along with their suppliers. Quality went to pot and it has taken awhile to get back to "normal" (still not as overbuilt as before). Looks like Honda has gone through that cycle and are trying to find their way back now.

This new guy makes nice sounds but it doesn't sound to me as though he is the answer either. Soichiro Honda reportedly said that Honda was an engine company that made cars. And that's where the precision came from for the cars he wrapped around them. They better get in gear because, as a small company, relatively speaking, their reputation for excellence is all that keeps them going. We need look no further than SAAB and Volvo for damaged brands that prove the theory.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20141112...quality-recalls

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150713/OEM02/307139949/ceo-hachigo-taking-honda-back-to-basics

Right on, Honda/Acura has been on cruise control for too long, turning a blind eye to quality control and innovation with a "we're still on top" mentality.

If this is caused by the VTC actuation oil pressure bleeding down over time, then why would jump starting or turning the key on and then back off again before starting do anything to affect the condition?

Does anyone know if this impedes oil flow to the mentioned and chain causing slack on start up?

Also, mine isn't as loud as some of the videos you hear on you tube. But it's still there. It is intermitant so hopefully the dealer will hear it and address the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back