2002 Honda accord slow 1-2 shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I was going to change the transmission fluid in my 2002 accord with honda atf. The transmission has a slow 1-2 shift and recently its been getting worse. It takes literally 1-1.5 second to shift and it seems to have a slight flare before it gets into second. The rest of the gears feel fine going up or down. I am concerned the transmission is on its way out. It has 150,000 miles and its backed by the 4cyl. These honda transmissions are not known to be good. Anyway The honda fluid it kind of expensive and if i want to do a couple drain and refills i was looking for something cheaper. My concern is everyone says to only use honda atf. Does anyone use something other than honda atf? Have you experienced better shift quality? How long have you been using non honda atf? Thanks

With a manual, YOU decide when to shift and YOU decide exactly how long it takes. What were your reasons for buying an automatic, especially when you admit that they're known to be no good?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
With a manual, YOU decide when to shift and YOU decide exactly how long it takes. What were your reasons for buying an automatic, especially when you admit that they're known to be no good?

That was helpful
confused.gif

welcome2.gif
to America! We have mostly automatics here in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

That was helpful
confused.gif

welcome2.gif
to America! We have mostly automatics here in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave
happy2.gif

Certainly helpful, if a little blunt.
OP buys a car with known g/box issues and then complains about the g/box and seeks a solution.
Time and cost to have a shop pull, rebuild and refit is equal to, if not more than, sourcing and fitting a manual box which will eliminate the problem from ever recurring.
Then when It comes time to purchase a newer vehicle, remember how many complaints there are about bad shifting on here and how much more control over shift timing, speed, and characteristics you have with a proper box.

I doubt my mission will be successful, but I want to convert as many Muricans as possible to thinking more about their driving, and enjoying it more at the same time..

Triple drain and fill with Maxlife and replace the two pressure switches which control the shifting; switches are cheap and easy to replace.

Making the OP feel bad about his purchase wont help. OP, personally I only use Honda ATF DW-1 in my Hondas. Use whatever your owners manual states, I am pretty sure it says to use only Honda ATF with Dex III as a short term sub, but to change it back to Honda ATF ASAP to avoid damage.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Making the OP feel bad about his purchase wont help. OP, personally I only use Honda ATF DW-1 in my Hondas. Use whatever your owners manual states, I am pretty sure it says to use only Honda ATF with Dex III as a short term sub, but to change it back to Honda ATF ASAP to avoid damage.

It's not about making anyone feel anything, it's about identifying a long lasting solution and seeking more information with regards to reasoning..

I hate to say it, but the tranny may not be long for this world. Those trannys are garbage and it's a feat that your's lasted so long. My Accord's one took a dump after only 7 yrs.

Still try out 3 drain & fills. Also toss in a bottle of Lubegard Red. Z1 was the factory fill for 02s so MaxLife is spec'd for it. I'm a proponent of using Honda ATF in Hondas but since you may very well be needing a new tranny in the future anyway, use the MaxLife.

What were your reasons for buying an automatic, especially when you admit that they're known to be no good?

IDK about Europe (probably not an issue with your love of MT), but over here HoA has done everything possible to sweep these issues under the rug. Most people are still happy to get 100kmi out of their cars without major repairs. Then they dump it for a shiny new one.

The OP may not have known just how widespread these issues really are. I didn't when I bought my Ody. Whoops, my mistake. It happens. They didn't come here to be judged, they came here to abate the issue if possible. I'm with you on MT though. My CR-V with the 5MT was a fun little box and I'm still waiting on a MT minivan (like that will happen).

OP, I don't trust DW-1 as I didn't trust Z1 which was [censored]. Others have had good luck and I congratulate them. I encourage you to read on Red Line D4 and Maxlife as there are many pleased Honda owners running them. Also consider the pressure switch swap as mentioned and adding an inline trans filter. Good luck.

I once had a slow 1-2 shift on a non-Honda and it was a weak spring in the valve body that was replaced with the installation of a shift kit. The Honda trans may be completely different but I thought to throw that out there in case it would help.

And...

Hail to Europe, where you can still get a manual transmission if you want, in just about everything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B20z
What were your reasons for buying an automatic, especially when you admit that they're known to be no good?

IDK about Europe (probably not an issue with your love of MT), but over here HoA has done everything possible to sweep these issues under the rug. Most people are still happy to get 100kmi out of their cars without major repairs. Then they dump it for a shiny new one.

The OP may not have known just how widespread these issues really are. I didn't when I bought my Ody. Whoops, my mistake. It happens. They didn't come here to be judged, they came here to abate the issue if possible. I'm with you on MT though. My CR-V with the 5MT was a fun little box and I'm still waiting on a MT minivan (like that will happen).

OP, I don't trust DW-1 as I didn't trust Z1 which was [censored]. Others have had good luck and I congratulate them. I encourage you to read on Red Line D4 and Maxlife as there are many pleased Honda owners running them. Also consider the pressure switch swap as mentioned and adding an inline trans filter. Good luck.

If its true about them hiding the issue there should be recalls and a class action law suit to rectify the loss of time and money suffered by the people effected.
Another comment kinda supports the idea of researching the purchase befor you blow all those thousands you worked so hard for.
There's no judgement happening, only re asserting the fact that manuals are better in every way.

I thought this was put under the atf section not the here is my opinion on what's better section. Maybe I am missing a leg and need an automatic.

Originally Posted By: B20z

If its true about them hiding the issue there should be recalls and a class action law suit to rectify the loss of time and money suffered by the people effected.
Another comment kinda supports the idea of researching the purchase befor you blow all those thousands you worked so hard for.
There's no judgement happening, only re asserting the fact that manuals are better in every way.

many times you cant get a manual with options you want.
I think the MT take rate is under 10% now for non sports cars.

Many MT are only available in the base package.

Olas your version of help is basically saying "you shouldn't have bought that lottery ticket its a loser" after the fact.

No one has 20/20 hindsight and how is telling someone they should have bought a MT that may or may not have even been available many years before helpful?

Maybe they dont drive MT? maybe their significant other doesnt... etc.

Personally I do like MT 4 of my last 5 cars have been MT
and the one that wasnt... I couldnt wait 6 weeks to special order after someone wrecked my previous car.

My last 2 subarus.. my 2011 I literally bought 1 of 2 available in the midwest US.

My 2015 I had to special order. None were available or going to be available.

My Dad's 2013 6mt outback was purchased sight unseen 2 weeks before it arrived.. the only one available without 6 week special order.

The availability of MT in cars you want is very low in the USA.. even lower than Canada for some reason.

Flare and a slow shift from 1 to 2 is not a good sign on a Honda of that era (former '01 Odyssey owner). A full fluid exchange and swapping the pressure switches may be enough to keep it going, but prepare for a rebuild.

You're already on borrowed time. Either have it rebuilt, buy a rebuilt one, or sell the car and buy something else.

Some great recommendations already. I would go with drain/fills with maxlife and then add a bottle of Lubegard Platinum or Lubegard HFMF (highly friction modified fluid). See how that goes as maxlife and Lubegard are very good at cleaning anything that may be sticking or gunked up.
Honestly, I thought that it was the auto transmissions with the 6cyl Honda engines that were a problem that year, not the 4cyl.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Some great recommendations already. I would go with drain/fills with maxlife and then add a bottle of Lubegard Platinum or Lubegard HFMF (highly friction modified fluid). See how that goes as maxlife and Lubegard are very good at cleaning anything that may be sticking or gunked up.
Honestly, I thought that it was the auto transmissions with the 6cyl Honda engines that were a problem that year, not the 4cyl.

It's both that are effected, although V6s fail sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back