2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 w/ Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading about the member here who owns a tow company and he sold all his diesels in favour of v-10 gassers I'd never buy a diesel anything.
Cost per mile is cheaper with the gas engines and cheaper to fix.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Use the ATF+4 for your power steering too. Leave the Supertech PS fluid on the shelf.

Consider the LF9028 Stratapore Filter.

Will do with the ATF+4 in the PS pump. I've used both in my other Dodge with no ill effects.

And I have considered the Stratapore...that's all I used to run in my 12V. That was until they came out with the Fram Ultra. Filter efficiency is supposedly slightly higher, and they are much easier to get ahold of. No driving to Cummins Southern Plains, or having to order online.

Originally Posted By: CT Rob
Fleetguard or Donaldson oil filters.No Fram google it.

"August 2002 TECHNICAL INFORMATION

It has been brought to our attention that a few DaimlerChrysler service technicians are recommending that the FRAM PH3976 filter not be used on Daimler Chrysler vehicles withthe Cummins 5. 9L Turbo Diesel engine and that use of these filters can cause damage to the engine. Daimler Chrysler has informed us that they released a Technical Service Bulletin to their dealerships communicating a potential contamination issue and recommending the use of Fleetguard manufactured filters.

FRAM has been selling PH3976 filter for this engine application since the engine platform launch and it has maintained an extremely reliable service record. Late in 2000, Cummins and Daimler Chrysler brought to our attention a low incidence failure mode in their Cummins 5. 9L Turbo Diesel engine of the piston cooling nozzle plugging, resulting in engine failure. The plugging was caused by contaminates lodging in the nozzle. The contaminants included metal chips, calcium carbonate, polyethylene, and styrene butadiene that are not associated with filter manufacture, and a neoprene compound, which is used as a sealant on the tapping plate of the filter. There were also several other engine warranty issues determined unrelated to the piston cooling nozzle plugging that were part of the engine failure sample. A small amount of neoprene rubber was used in the FRAM filter as a sealant.

Throughout our investigation with Cummins & DaimlerChrysler on various engine failures, no conclusive evidence was found to assign cause to filters or other contamination sources. However, driven to satisfy our customers, the FRAM engineering team made modifications to the design eliminating the neoprene and expedited development and manufacturing to release a revised filter model number to PH3976A. With the design change on the PH3976A completely removing the use of neoprene, there is absolutely no validity in comments that the Fram filter should not be used for this application or that it may cause engine failures associated with plugged nozzles.

The Honeywell Consumer Products Group warranty policy also protects the consumer if it is determined that a FRAM filter is responsible for damage to an engine due to defects in design or workmanship. This information should be openly conveyed to our customers if they have any concerns or apprehension about using a FRAM filter for this application."

Been using a Fram Ultra in the 12V for the last 50,000+ miles.

Oh yeah and if you ever read a cummins forum the headgasket will blow anytime if you dont have ARP studs.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Oh yeah and if you ever read a cummins forum the headgasket will blow anytime if you dont have ARP studs.
smirk.gif

Haha right! I've been a Cummins Forum member for several years...and while there is a lot of knowledge to be found...just like anywhere, there are a lot of idiots as well.

Originally Posted By: clintonhutson
Use the ATF+4 for your power steering too. Leave the Supertech PS fluid on the shelf.

Will do with the ATF+4 in the PS pump. I've used both in my other Dodge with no ill effects.

And I have considered the Stratapore...that's all I used to run in my 12V. That was until they came out with the Fram Ultra. Filter efficiency is supposedly slightly higher, and they are much easier to get ahold of. No driving to Cummins Southern Plains, or having to order online.

This is very true, but I've been using the Stratapore with the built in bypass filter. It takes out things that even my beloved FU can't touch.
wink.gif

The FU is a great deal though. $12 locally, where the Purolator Synthetic is literally double the price.

Originally Posted By: clintonhutson

This is very true, but I've been using the Stratapore with the built in bypass filter. It takes out things that even my beloved FU can't touch.
wink.gif

The FU is a great deal though. $12 locally, where the Purolator Synthetic is literally double the price.

I have used the Fleetgaurd Venturi LF9028 (pretty sure that's the correct #) in my 12V in the past. But with the OCI I am currently using in that rig, I couldn't justify the price bump.

Oh and I do have a question for you 6.7 owners. Do you tow anything with the truck? If so, how do you like it? One of the real reasons I went with it over the 5.9 was for the 68RFE, the bigger motor, and the exhaust brake.

While I don't tote a gooseneck around nearly as often as I used to, I do have a camper (Jayco 38BHDS) that I use a least once a month. She's a 40' Bumper Pull, and tips the scale right at 10,900 loaded with gear. Needless to say, I can pull it with the 12V no problem, but I really don't like doing so anymore. With a big injectors, a larger set of twins, and a loose torque converter...she get's smoky on the bottom end. And I'd rather not be the guy smoking out the state every time I take off from a stop light.

And the Hemi (overloaded I know, as I've only pulled the TT with it twice) hates all the time. The only time it does ok is downhill, with a good wind behind you.
crazy2.gif

So with that being said, how do you like the towing capabilities of your truck? I picked the truck up on Sunday, and I think if I can get everything together...will be taking the camper, a truck load of buddies, and some beer out this weekend.
cheers3.gif

I love towing with it so much more than my old 5.9 CRD, even when stock. There's just a mountain of torque down low,,probably because of the VGT turbo and higher displacement. Exhaust brake is helpful and effective.

My boats are heavier than your trailer, and no problem. You'll enjoy it. Hemi doesn't hold a candle.

I love towing with it so much more than my old 5.9 CRD, even when stock. There's just a mountain of torque down low,,probably because of the VGT turbo and higher displacement. Exhaust brake is helpful and effective.

My boats are heavier than your trailer, and no problem. You'll enjoy it. Hemi doesn't hold a candle.

Oh I hated towing anything above a couple thousand pounds with the Hemi! And thanks for the input. That's great to hear!

Also I do tow heavier than the camper (JD 410B Backhoe on a 28' PJ...around 22K). But the camper is just what I tow regularly, and really the only one I tow a good distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back