Coke can for brake disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coke cans for Brake Disks.

Not actually AS brake disks, but to clean them up a bit.

Exhibit A : Drivers side front hub and brakes.

I put the foil on the hub a couple of years ago to stop the wheels rusting on. Seems to have worked, but of course the remains look messy. The rusted remains of a shim have displaced and are stuck against the disk boss. The brakes don't squeal and I probably wouldn't care much if they did, so I probably don't need shims.

Exhibit B : During cleanup.

Other wheel is chocked and the engine run in second gear. (higher gear might have been better but wasn't sure the diff would like it.) Coke (or beer) can top/bottom (or whole thing crushed) is forced against the disc rim. Whole can crushed has more material but is a bit grabby and top or bottom is probably safer. You could easily get your hand mangled doing this, and it might have been smarter to hold the can section with mole grips.

I wore eye protection but no breathing or hearing protection, both of which would probably have been a good idea. Stray dogs cleared the area as soon as I started.

Exhibit C: Disk after cleanup (this is actually the other side)

Exhibit D: "Tools"

The bits of TV ariel were used for the side of disk boss, You CAN get a can in there but it feels too risky.

Exhibit E : Caliper guide pin before cleanup.

Exhibit F : Caliper parts after cleanup

I don't know if the "shinyness" on the disk edge is clean steel or adherent aluminium. The latter would be better from a corrosion reistance perspective but I'd guess its a bit of both.

Clearly the steel is still pitted, and it would take a very long time to remove the pits. I'm not using any binder for the aluminium here, because I'm concerned about contaminating the pad surfaces, but that would probably help fill the pits and I might try it. Superglue would probably be safest in this application, but it'll likely burn off, as would anything else I can think of except maybe ceramics.

I've tried various tricks to clean up brake disks for the UK MOT (annual anal vehicle inspection). None of them worked, and this probably wouldn't either, but it looks more promising than anything else I've tried. Electrolysis would probably be better but I don't have to pass an MOT any more so I havn't bothered to set that up.

(There were traces of what was probably very old hardened copaslip on the stainless slides, the pad backs, and perhaps some contamination of the pads. I cleaned this off (initially under water) with coke can, foil, scraped the pads with a razor blade, boiled them, dried them off, and then used brake cleaner on them, and they look a lot better, but of course you cant really get all that stuff off.)

A good reason to use coated rotors like Centric Premium and VGX Platinum
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Not worth the risk of getting tangled up in the spinning rotor. Get a wire brush or wire wheel on a drill or air gun.

Thanks for your reply. Re wire wheel, tried it many years ago. Didn't seem to work as well, and didn't work well enough to pass a British MOT (though this might not either).

Plus its not easy to get power to the car here.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Is that Teflon tape on the wheel studs? 3rd pic. Why is that on there?

I use Teflon tape as an anti-seize substitute. Its also visible on the threaded end of the caliper pins.

In this case I also had used a cats cradle of it between the studs, to hold some aluminium foil in place on the hub, since I've had the wheels rust on. This seems to stop them doing that.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

You can't readily buy anything automotive here EXCEPT bling. Those sound like they might be bling, so you MIGHT be able buy them, but they won't be free.

Coke cans, OTOH...

This is an inspirational thread.

Using whatever resources you have available to fix your car instead of buying fancy products or new parts.

I usually use sandpaper for sliding pins but it's not good for a large surface like a wheel hub.

Did you season the parts in oil to prevent further rust?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
smile.gif

You can't readily buy anything automotive here EXCEPT bling. Those sound like they might be bling, so you MIGHT be able buy them, but they won't be free.

Coke cans, OTOH...

Is this in Taiwan?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Using whatever resources you have available to fix your car instead of buying fancy products or new parts.

I usually use sandpaper for sliding pins but it's not good for a large surface like a wheel hub.

smile.gif

Coke cans, OTOH...

Is this in Taiwan?

+1 Ducked is top five poster on this board for me. If the world ever ends and I am even close to Taiwan, I am going to find him and we will rebuild civilization one coke can at a time.

Hey Ducked, could you please post a picture of your car? I've always wanted to see that heap.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Depernds what you mean by "oil". You have to be careful with mineral oil cos its fairly mobile and could contaminate friction services, plus it attacks rubber. On non sliding surfaces I rub with aluminium foil with sunflower or linseed oil as a binder and then leave them in the sun for a while. Its an effective anti-corrosion treatment/paint but its also a pretty effective glue so you have to be sparing with it and watch where you put it.

Guide pins got cleaned with aluminium (MUCH better than sandpaper) then wrapped with PTFE tape on silicon grease. Not sure about the tape in that location tyhough since if it gets really hot it could cook flourine out of it, which is nasty stuff.

Theres a "Coke Can for Brake Drums" thread which updates this a bit with some attemps to treat the disk rims with superglue and sunflower oil.

smile.gif

Coke cans, OTOH...

Is this in Taiwan? [/quote]

Yes.

Thread tape on wheel studs ? Captive rotors, these days it's not worth replacing them...we throw the car away at that point.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Thread tape on wheel studs ?

These days I use polythene from plastic bags, though if Taiwan gets environmentally minded about plastic I might have to stop that, or start stashing plastic.

Captive rotors, these days it's not worth replacing them...we throw the car away at that point.

Not sure what a captive rotor is (rotors are for helicopters?) but if I ever have to replace one I suppose I'll be able to find out.

One of the nice things about Taiwan is that the inspection regime means you generally don't have to throw a car away if you don't want to (though the Taiwanese definately DO want to).

This was not the case in the famously anal UK.

Captive means it's bolted to the inside of the drive flange, so the hub has to be disassenbled to remove the disc rotor...that means the wheel bearing is split, putting it together it will often have wheelbearing noises, so wheel bearing replacement is often part of the job. Not worth the expense on an old car. I have just picked up a nice 1995 Ford Laser Lynx for free - it was off the system, and needs a really tough test to get back on the road. Of course they don't want a car that old and dangerous (no ABS or airbags)going back in the system, so they come up with a huge list of minor (and expensive)things to fix.

Captive means it's bolted to the inside of the drive flange, so the hub has to be disassenbled to remove the disc rotor...that means the wheel bearing is split, putting it together it will often have wheelbearing noises, so wheel bearing replacement is often part of the job. Not worth the expense on an old car. I have just picked up a nice 1995 Ford Laser Lynx for free - it was off the system, and needs a really tough test to get back on the road. Of course they don't want a car that old and dangerous (no ABS or airbags)going back in the system, so they come up with a huge list of minor (and expensive)things to fix.

2-tier system here. Maintain private inspections and its easy to stay nominally legal.

Miss an inspection and you have to re-inspect at a Govt test centre and they are likely to be unaccomodating. Been through that once and it was touch and go. Doubt I could pass it again since the carb has deteriorated and I seem to have lost the back seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back