STP S-3614XL new (CUT OPEN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised, I decided to buy one of these filters. Not impressed at all also. The debris on the ADBV was there when I cut the filter open. Enjoy the photos and for $8.99 it's not even worth that.

biw5c7.jpg

2jfwvue.jpg

2w56oab.jpg

33mwoas.jpg

2cc7jt.jpg

12131mt.jpg

2m7j6v9.jpg

k50mec.jpg

w1bw42.jpg

iz5edd.jpg

2dazxg3.jpg

qovwqr.jpg

Hey nice job! Thanks for sacrificing a filter for us to oogle over. As we suspected, an Asian import filter. Looks to be decent quality but I am not interested in trying one unless it came on some great oil and filter combo sale.

Thanks for the cut and post!

Yuck, what a cheap filter for the price. Not a deal when you can get a US-made Fram Ultra, made by the same company, for the same price.

They should've just reboxed the Carquest Blue.

Are the regular blue STP cans still US-made?

IMO it doesn't look that bad. It does have some nice features and if it's really 99% efficient >20 microns then that's pretty good.

But for the price, I'd rather use the Ultra. Maybe if this filter was more like $6~7 it might be more attractive.

Car51 ... thanks for the cut & post!
grin.gif

It looks fine to me. With the visual quality of the pleat spacing, silicone and metal end caps coupled with the 99% efficient rating it's certainly not junk. To achieve that kind of rating they need glass blended cellulose media.

I would just mark it down as somewhat over priced, which could be over come if they put it on the oil change special

It's certainly no Champ M1EP or CQ blue. Add to it the COO and the inflated price, nothing spectacular at all. As noted only time I'd be interested is if of a part of super oil/filter promo, which rarely occurs at AZ.

Thanks for the pics and taking one for the board and confirming what the board had already sorted out as chaff.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
..Are the regular blue STP cans still US-made?
Unless they've very recently been off shored, think so.

Guys: definitely not worth the $$. There was a decent bit of few minor shavings when I opened it and this "grayish cr** ". The ADBV was soft also. It was very thin can as took all of 2 minutes to cut it. I'll stick with the MC, Tough Guard and ULTRA in "the stash"

Sayjac: I looked at a STP S-3614 while at Autozone; sadly it's still a ECORE, but said "product of U.S.A." on dome end

Yes the S3614 has been an ecore. Otoh the S2808 is classic construction as is the thimble size S6607. The blue STP skips the 7317 size. Didn't think the coo had changed.

I think it looks pretty decent but agree that the price is high. It actually has a real spring and i dont see the sig fram plastic bypass valve. Dosent look like a typical piece of fram to me.

Yeah, thanks car51-other than the orange ADBV, it looks just like the $1.99 on sale Rural King or Driveworks filters, not worth anywhere near what they're asking!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It looks fine to me. With the visual quality of the pleat spacing, silicone and metal end caps coupled with the 99% efficient rating it's certainly not junk. To achieve that kind of rating they need glass blended cellulose media.

I would just mark it down as somewhat over priced, which could be over come if they put it on the oil change special

Me too. This looks like a very well constructed filter. I've always preferred the true spring design vs the leaf type. I'm also liking that its not cardboard end caps or plastic ribbed. Both of which probably don't make a difference, just a personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back