New STP XL extended life filters spotted @Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in Autozone and spotted these. I am going to ask Jay to give me some information but I am assuming they are a spin off of the new CARQUEST blue filters which are very nice.

The box states 99% efficient at >20 microns iso 4548-12.

They appear to have silicon anti drain back valves and also the can was very sturdy, I was not able to squeeze it like other filters.

Here is the link to the CARQUEST Red and Blue filters thread with video.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3563707/CARQUEST_Red_and_Blue_filters_

And here are some pictures I snapped.

With these specs they are comparable to Mobil 1 and Fram Tough Guards as well as CARQUEST Blue I mentioned.

2zf2yqo.jpg

2zi1zj9.jpg

25z1lcn.jpg

3502xcz.jpg

2rhs2o0.jpg

Like the plastic seal. Phone number on the box takes you to Champ Labs...buy one and cut it open!

I saw these last night. I am going to change my oil this weekend and will try one. They're $8.99 at my store, made in Korea, and look/feel very sturdy.

Teflon coated base gasket, or maybe even silicone? Nice touch.

Yeah man.. Maybe at a level of quality between the Fram tough guard and Ultra?? If its equivalent to the tough guard than is it worth the 8.99?? I know my Autozone does not carry the TG but they do carry the extra guard.

They might be good, and will probably be part of oil change specials. I'd give them a try.

I've been sealing the filters in my stash like that for years.

Engineered to last 10,000 miles? The oil life monitor on my car will often let me go 12,000 miles. I guess I'm supposed to stop at 10,000 miles and change just the filter. In the fine print, it will say it meets OEM specs.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Why are these sealed on the end? Not even Mobil 1 does that.

It keeps dampness, etc. out, which is a good thing for people who stash filters.

Finally an Asian filter with an efficiency rating. Greater than 20, finally someone else says it. Made in Korea, no thanks. The ADBV looks off center in the picture? By a lot it looks to me. Asian made products will take the extra steps to make it well wrapped and nice. We need people here going to work making filters. No more Denso for me either unless it states made in USA which some does.

This looks like a Rural King or similar, with a (possibly) better ADBV, at almost as much as an Ultra?? Doesn't even look like a Fram baseplate-I'll pass, overpriced like most of AZ-although I was able to get 2 Ultras to fit a Powerstroke 7.3 ('00 F-250, XG3786) that I'm buying for only $9.99 each, as opposed to WM's $14.99 price.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It keeps dampness, etc. out, which is a good thing for people who stash filters.

I don't see this as a problem, unless you store your filters OUSIDE in the rain! A cardboard box is good enough, unless the filter is old stock sitting for 20 years.....

I agree, i usually never stash filters as my garage is humid. but if these were on sale i might stash a few ! I'd like to see inside one first though. I'm wondering if they are toughguards on the inside.

Real good ADBV, looks like it could bypass oil on one side. At first look, thought it was the angle of the picture, but no, the ADBV is way off center. That's a fail as I see it. No thanks.

I don't see this as a problem, unless you store your filters OUSIDE in the rain! A cardboard box is good enough, unless the filter is old stock sitting for 20 years.....

Over the years I have seen flash rust on the base plate from time to time. When I put the plastic on mine it eliminated it. I live on Long Island so salt air and humidity can be an issue depending on how close you are to the ocean or sound.

Odd 'looking' adbv. From exterior view, doesn't look to be sealing the inlet holes completely. Dissection might give a better indication of what the deal is.

Be curious to see if it's metal endcap construction same as the CQ. 'If' so, would be another example of metal endcaps NOT going away in the filter industry as was asserted HERE.

Price point similar to/same as regular price of easily found WM FU. Meh.

Edit. On closer inspection of baseplate design and configuration, I'm not certain this STP is a Fram filtration/Rank product?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back