Who Makes Oil Filters With The Hex Nut OnThe End??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it Wix, or some other brand? I just did my first oil change on my new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 HEMI in it. The oil filter is a PITA to get a standard strap wrench around. I can and will get a end cap style wrench, but I feel more comfortable installing a filter with the hex nut welded on the end. The cap style wrenches can strip the end of the filter if it should get stuck.

I was wondering if anyone knew the brand of spin on oil filter that will fit the 2015, Jeep 5.7 Hemi V-8 that has the nut? Thanks in advance.

This might be BITOG blasphemy, but I'd see if there are shorter filters for your vehicle. I have a buddy that complained about oil changes on his wife's Jeep and I referred him to Motorcraft FL400s after cross referencing the filter and it has been a much better experience changing oil ever since.

Any filter with a metal end cap + some nuts + a welder will do the trick too! Kidding... K&N uses the nut on the end.

I think it's mostly application specific, not by maker.

E.g. - the Mahle I buy for an Audi is always that way, but not all Mahles are made with an end nut.

I have one vehicle that is also hard to access the filter. This
heavy duty" type makes it easy, you can attach an 3/8" extension and ratchet and get good torque on it. Something like this may work for you:

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-2321-Heavy-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000JFN9MM

K&N is the only one I know of, but since they changed manufacturers for their oil filters their reputation has gone in the toilet.

If you can get the factory filter tightened by the assembly-line gorilla off that very first time, you really won't have to worry about it again. Just use a quality filter with a silicone gasket and always remember to coat the gasket with clean engine oil before installing the filter. Oh, and obviously don't tighten it like the factory gorilla did. Use an end-cap wrench with confidence.

In thinking about this more. The thing with the cap filter wrench is that you have to ensure that it is a PERFECT fit and not a CLOSE ENOUGH fit.

Take my Hyundai for instance. I found an 80mm/15 flute cap from the auto parts store that was a close enough fit and people on the Hyundai forum said that it was the one, but being unsatisfied with the fitment I returned it and searched for a 79mm/15 flute cap and that was an absolute perfect fit.

As far as the filter becoming stripped, as long as you're using a quality filter, this will be a non issue.

As someone above mentioned, the factory filter is normally installed by a Gorilla (so it seems) and is a one time deal.

That makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Is it Wix, or some other brand? I just did my first oil change on my new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 HEMI in it. The oil filter is a PITA to get a standard strap wrench around. I can and will get a end cap style wrench, but I feel more comfortable installing a filter with the hex nut welded on the end. The cap style wrenches can strip the end of the filter if it should get stuck.

I was wondering if anyone knew the brand of spin on oil filter that will fit the 2015, Jeep 5.7 Hemi V-8 that has the nut? Thanks in advance.

no nut on it, but my brother has been using motorcraft FL-820s's on his '13 Challenger with the 5.7 Hemi.

I don't have the answer to your specific question, but my recommendation is for you to get the OE filter and hand tighten and hand loosen with a bit of course grit sandpaper.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=hp-2010

I found these on Amazon, and ordered 4 of them for just $10.47 each with free shipping. I'll have them by the 27th. I'll pick up a end cap wrench so I can get the Fram Extra Guard filter I put on this morning, off when the time comes. After that I'll just use the K&N filters with the nut.

I don't drive many miles, so I just change oil every 6 months. 4 filters will provide me with at least 2 years of driving. It took 7-1/2 quarts to bring up the oil to the "Full" line with a new filter. So that works out pretty well. I can get 2 oil changes out of 3, 5 quart jugs. I get the Pennzoil 5W-20 Full Synthetic at Wal-Mart for just $25.17 a 5 qt.jug.

A lot of guys with the 5.7 HEMI have said the same thing. The manual lists the capacity at 7 quarts, but it takes 7-1/2 to bring it up to "Full".

The K&N filters are good, but their value is low. They are approximately 85% efficient at 20 microns yet typically cost more than a Fram Ultra. The Fram Ultras are over 99% efficient at 20 microns and have a much greater flow rate and holding capacity due to the dual layered microglass media.

If you must have it for the nut it's worth it to you.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I think it's mostly application specific, not by maker.

E.g. - the Mahle I buy for an Audi is always that way, but not all Mahles are made with an end nut.

I have one vehicle that is also hard to access the filter. This
heavy duty" type makes it easy, you can attach an 3/8" extension and ratchet and get good torque on it. Something like this may work for you:

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-2321-Heavy-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000JFN9MM

I have that exact wrench. It worked, but I still had some interference issues. Which is why I want to go to the K&N filter with the nut, and get a end cap type. Both are driven from the center, not from the side.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
K&N, but I've heard the quality is way down now that they're made in Mexico.

So are some Fords. I really don't think where they're made is much of an issue. Especially today.

Originally Posted By: billt460

k?n dose and wix actually makes some filters with a nut on end cap

I used a K&N with the end nut (HP1008) the first time I changed my oil and it leaked just a tiny bit at the edge of the nut. I know it wasn't dripping down from the gasket because the filter sits with the nut up in my Subaru.
Since the filter was so easy to access in my car sitting upright at the top of the engine, the nut actually did nothing for me. I still have a K&N sitting on the shelf, didn't bother to return it and it's there just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back