PP EURO LX 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Platinum EURO LX SAE 0W30 can be used for modern European Diesel Engines with particulate filters as well as modern European gasoline engines.

(This is not an ESSO Oil as listed in the VOA shown below).

The VI index implied by the #s is 200 which is quite close to the official TDS of 204.

TDS for PP 0W30 EURO

The TBN seems to be quite low...lower than the "Pennzoil Team" has posted elsewhere on-line.

Last edited:
Doug, thanks again for getting a VOA on this new interesting oil. Yes I know I dug up the Lab (ALS) to use in my home town that could provide a reasonable price including KV40 and TBN but you mailed in the sample and paid for the analysis.

The viscosity measures are very close to the published PDS figures although both are a bit lower particularly the KV100 value hence the marginally lower calculated VI of 200 vs 204.
Assuming the lab's figures are spot on then this oil has been slightly under additized in terms of VIIs.
Regardless, it's now confirmed PP Euro LX 0W-30 is the only 200 VI commercially available 30 grade motor oil.

I had hoped the Phos' level of 719 ppm would have come in closer to the 800 ppm limit being a diesel oil but is typical of a fuel conserving SN 30 grade.

Nice to see the high 383 Boron level.

Looking forward to the first UOA to see how it holds up in service.

Yes, the boron level is GREAT, but then I guess it needs something to make up for the lack of moly.

I am also interested in it's TBN retention, for IF it is decent (despite the low starting TBN), I would also go through the effort to find/purchase this product, and use it for the winter OCI.
wink.gif

Just my opinion of course, but having boron in an oil isn't such a good thing. As often as not, the boron comes from boric acid which is used in the of post-treatment of ashless dispersants to make them more seal friendly. Sadly, it makes the dispersants less good at at carrying out their primary function. A lot of boron probably means a lot of ashless which is also a double edged sword.

Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy
Just my opinion of course, but having boron in an oil isn't such a good thing. As often as not, the boron comes from boric acid which is used in the of post-treatment of ashless dispersants to make them more seal friendly. Sadly, it makes the dispersants less good at at carrying out their primary function. A lot of boron probably means a lot of ashless which is also a double edged sword.

Unaware of 'ill' effects of high Boron , though .
confused.gif

Note:I know it's an old thread.

Last edited:
As they claim C2/C3, and the fuel economy of the oil, it would have to be as close to 3.5 as makes no difference.

According to member bobbydavro here, in the 5W40 Castrol thread

it can't be much more than 3.5.

A couple of 5W30s as examples
* Edge 5W30 A3/B4 claims 3.6
* Nulon with their Euro 5W30 claimed ACEA A3/B4, and A5/B5, and that by formulating to "exactly" 3.5 they got both.

Chevron 15W30 is 3.7, which would IMO set an upper bound for the oil in question.

And the 0W40s are 3.7-3.8 typically.

So we can confidently set the lower bound at 3.5, and predict that it's not going to be 3.7 or above.

I'm narrowing it to 3.5-3.6, erring on the short end.

I know it's not the number, but if they aren't telling fibs, logic would dictate that it's barely over 3.5.

Yes, I should have known it would be that high, being labelled as a 'Euro' oil, and having to meet said specs.
frown.gif

May have to re-think using this as a winter OCI oil, as I would prefer something in the 3.0-3.3 HTHSV range.

Give it a crack, I reckon.

I assume it's replacing your blend, so doing the mixing calculator, the KV's comparable to what you are running, and the high VI will probably make it a wash, or give the Pennz a (tiny) KV edge at cold temps.

I reckon that it won't take long for the HTHS to be at 3.3.
smile.gif

Yeah, IF I can get Summit Racing to start carrying this stuff (or can find it anywhere closer than 100 miles away at a SOPUS distributor), I might just do that, since the only other straight, no mix/blend, decent VI, 0W-30 I wanted to try, (the RLI product) has an even higher yet HTHSV; I think it might even be a 3.8!?
eek.gif

(Even though the RLI spec sheet only states the SAE mandated > 2.9, could it even possibly be that high {3.8}, IF the claimed cSt @ 100*C is only 11.3??)

RLI Biosyn Extra ?

Doing some rudimentary math...
Using the Operational Viscosity Calculator...KV150 would be 5cst.
Using the density calculator, p@150 would be 784Kg/m^3.

IF it were Newtonian, the HTHS would be .785*5, or 3.9cst.

Straight Vege oils can be ridiculously high VI, and Newtonian.

It's cold behaviour doesn't look newtonian, so something has likely been lost/added in the "stablilisation"

If you assume the 80% shear stability of the ultra high VI 0W20s, you get an HTHS of 3.1...but I doubt that's the case.

Assume 90% SSI, yo get 3.5.

I'm betting, not promising, that the RLI is probably at least 3.5 as well, and possibly a bit higher.

Again, just mathwork, and not a promise.

Thanks Shannow.
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, 3.9 cSt (or even just over 3.5) with minimal possibility of shear is just too thick for my app in the winter here, as I might as well just use one of the thinner, 3.7-3.8 cSt (and more readily available) 0W-40s instead.

I am going to try and get a hold of this PennzPlat Euro LX 0W-30.

To bump this thread...in Canada, Canadian Tire now carries this oil in 1-liter bottles for $10.49 each.

i read that if an oil has a high VI but average or less HTHS it uses a LOT of viscosity improvers! i read + continue to learn, but so much info is outdated quickly

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Canadian Tire now carries this oil in 1-liter bottles for $10.49 each.

Checked yesterday and not in "my" CT. Still must be rolling it out as it doesnt seem to be listed on their site.

Last edited:
Advanced auto parts in york pa carries this oil-but found they have it stores in the back. One store allowed me to get the five quart deal on pennzoil platinum-the other said the oil did not qualify for discount. Was about nine dollars a quart regular pricing-six dollars with pennzoil promotion good to the end of the month.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Yes, the boron level is GREAT, but then I guess it needs something to make up for the lack of moly....

And the lack of detergents (ie calcium). Apparently the 800-1000 ppm decrease in Ca from PP....is made up by the extra 200-300 ppm of Boron.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Canadian Tire now carries this oil in 1-liter bottles for $10.49 each.

Checked yesterday and not in "my" CT. Still must be rolling it out as it doesnt seem to be listed on their site.

Saw it in my local Cdn Tire yesterday.
They are also carrying PP Euro L 5W-30 and PP Euro 5W-40 for the same $10.49 price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back