Goodyear Viva 3 or Yokohama AVID Touring - S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Getting some cheap tires for my Camry. Just gonna get 2 for now. Walmart has Goodyear Viva 3 for $64 each on rollback and I called Discount Tire and they said the comparable tire they can price match to $64 each are the Yokohama AVID Touring - S.

So which ones would you get? I have no experience with either one.

Size 205/65-15

I've owned two sets of Yoko Avid Touring S purchased from DT, 195/60-15 on a Civic. Very good value tire that I got 60-65k miles on both sets before replacement not quite to wear bars. Decent ride and handling. Off my experience, I'd have no reservations recommending them.

Can't speak to the Viva as never owned. Just me but all things being equal or close, I'd much rather purchase from DT.

Replaced last Avids recently with Cooper CS5 Grand Touring using an excellent $195 back in rebates on set of four at DT July 4th promo. Too good to pass on.

Most tires from the Viva line haven't been terribly impressive, but the new Viva 3 looks decent. It has a ton of siping and should do well in foul weather.

0069766212496_500X500.jpg

Being in Phoenix, foul weather traction probably doesn't appeal to you all that much. And tread compound is likely more influential in dry and wet traction (vs aquaplane resistance, etc) than tread shape is.

Of the 2 sellers DT is much better than WM.

Of the 2 tires I have good experience with Yokohama AVID Touring-S on my LS400.

DT with Yoko wins 2 out of 2.

Had Viva 2 on my dad's civic briefly for 1 week, didn't work out (there was a shimmying issue during high speed that WM couldn't resolve)

Per WM manager's recommendation: submit the price difference and then upgraded to GY Viva Touring and no problem since. Ride was smooth and very predictable...

Looking @ Viva 3 at this moment for I shall need to get rid of my worn Optimo 4S soon (next spring).

Q.

I've never had any good experiences with Goodyear tires. Even the set on my Ram are terrible. Yokohama on the other hand have been great. Lasted a long time and did well in the winter even on the RWD grand marquis. The cooper CS5 is even better.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Most tires from the Viva line haven't been terribly impressive, but the new Viva 3 looks decent. It has a ton of siping and should do well in foul weather.

They might only sipe them halfway. I see a lot of walmart tread designs that get "boring" at 4-5/32 to shame you into buying another set.

EG just circumferential tread grooves that look like a bread van.
wink.gif

FWIW, I used to work at a Wal-Mart TLE when I got out of high school. I can't speak for the Viva 3s, but I always saw Viva 2s come back WAY before their mileage warranty, and were spent. I saw several bubbles in sidewalls, blowouts, and heard lots of complaints of poor overall traction. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the tires are 100% at fault. Not everybody takes care of them, and strange things do happen. But considering how few Yokos came back (to another business I worked at) compared to the number of Vivas that came back, I feel the Yokos were the better tire. Who knows, perhaps things have changed over time, but I won't buy a Viva.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I've never had any good experiences with Goodyear tires. Even the set on my Ram are terrible. Yokohama on the other hand have been great. Lasted a long time and did well in the winter even on the RWD grand marquis. The cooper CS5 is even better.

Agree.

Cooper CS5 is better than Yokohama AVID Touring-S.

If Nick can wait until Labor Day Weekend (2 1/2 weeks) DT may have good sale/rebate for a set of 4. But he needs only 2 tires.

Labor Day is just around the corner.
The cheapies won't get any more costly and you can probably get something better than either of these for less coin.
Maybe even put four matching new shoes on the Camry.

Yeah I'll probably wait until the Labor Day sale. It has usable tires on it, but they have no siping and are loud. I'd like to just get a pair and pick the best 2 for the rear
27.gif
and get 2 new ones.

It depends on the deals, but I'm 90% sure I'm getting 4 new ones

I posted the Discount Tire Labor Day Sale in the Products, Rebates, & Promotions section.

With the Yokohamas marked down to $64 each, with installation, fees, and tax it should be $353.75 and after the $75 rebate for "Better" tires and $60 for using the Discount Tire credit card it will be $218.75 out the door for 4 brand new tires. Not too shabby!

Out of those two, the Yokos.

But I'd take the Kumho Solus TA71, which has a $100 rebate, and the pre-rebate price isn't too bad, either.

Another good tire is the Falken Ziex ZE950.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They might only sipe them halfway. I see a lot of walmart tread designs that get "boring" at 4-5/32 to shame you into buying another set.

I think they've finally gotten the Viva line right with the Viva 3. The Viva 2 was certainly as you describe -- precious few sipes that weren't full depth. But having inspected the Viva 3 up close, I'd say that most of the siping is truly full depth siping.

Again, not pushing anyone into the Viva 3 (I certainly don't have experience with it). But it does seem to be a departure in a positive direction from what Viva tires used to be.

Would you consider General RT43s? They are probably in the price range and I feel is a better tire than both of your options.

Generally speaking, I like Goodyears and Yokohamas, but if that Goodyear tire in question is a WalMart only tire, then I would avoid it. You need to check that type of thing when buying any car tire at WalMart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back