2015 Civic CVT sealed system, no maint required??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I purchased a brand new 2015 Honda Civic EX sedan 5 weeks ago. My plan is to keep this car
long term, perhaps 10-12 years. I want to make sure I do all the maintenance at the correct
intervals. I spoke to the dealer's service manager asking about the fluid change interval for
the CVT and was told that the Civic's CVT "is a sealed system and no maintenance is required". You do NOT change the fluid because the system is sealed and the fluid never degrades, like oil, brake fluid, etc.
There seems to be a real confusion about this issue as I read all over to actually change the
fluid at 30K, than others say change at 60K, than others say change at 100K, and now the Honda service manager telling me the fluid is a maintenance free item.

I dont get it!? The is no consistency anywhere about this issue! What EXACTLY is HONDA
offical recommendation on this?

Last edited:
Not sealed.

Honda sells CVTF for it.

If it were mine, I would do an initial drain/refill at 25k and then every 50k. Check the owners manual for maintenance interval and fluid specification required. Check and top off fluid yearly.

If it is mechanical and has lubricant, it requires maintenance.

Originally Posted By: flinter
Hi,

I purchased a brand new 2015 Honda Civic EX sedan 5 weeks ago. My plan is to keep this car
long term, perhaps 10-12 years. I want to make sure I do all the maintenance at the correct
intervals. I spoke to the dealer's service manager asking about the fluid change interval for
the CVT and was told that the Civic's CVT "is a sealed system and no maintenance is required". You do NOT change the fluid because the system is sealed and the fluid never degrades, like oil, brake fluid, etc.
There seems to be a real confusion about this issue as I read all over to actually change the
fluid at 30K, than others say change at 60K, than others say change at 100K, and now the Honda service manager telling me the fluid is a maintenance free item.

I dont get it!? The is no consistency anywhere about this issue! What EXACTLY is HONDA
offical recommendation on this?

Subaru was making similar claims when I bought my Outback in '12. Since then, they have been denying claims for CVT failures, when the fluid was not changed by 60k miles......The maintenance schedule item says to "Check CVT fluid condition" at 60k.....I do not even know what that means.

My personal program is to change the fluid every 30k, starting at 60k.

The Subie CVTs are not failing in large numbers, but the failures seem to be in solenoids, which may operate improperly because of ferrous metal attracted to the electromagnet.

Personally, I do not, and never did, believe in the concept of permanent transmission fluid.

So I am a conservative driver,mostly the suburbs of central nj and
am very easy on car, if I was to do the first fluid change at 30K,
that would be a good routine to follow?

The service manager told me he would do the fluid change if I really want to at 30K, but he says he feels he would be "stealing
my money", because it is not necessary.

Also, if the dealer would to do it reluctantly, how would I really know for sure that they
actually did it unless I am standing right over them?? There is NO dipstick anymore to check, so how can I know its new fluid??

Last edited:
No transmission especially a CVT is going to last 10 to 12 years. But I would change the fluid so often. A manual transmission would have been better if you want to keep it that long.

Last edited:
Your dealer is wrong. Take a look in your Owner's Manual under the "Maintenance" section - code "3" will appear when a transmission fluid change is indicated. Like all Hondas, these numeric maintenance codes will accompany the "A" and "B" oil change/inspection notices.

The manual doesnt give a specific interval but does say the fluid should be changed every 25,000 miles under certain operating conditions.

So your dealer is scarily incompetent. Take your manual in and show it to him. Or maybe he's never seen one before.

Last edited:
If you change it every 25K or so, take a specimen cup and tell the shop you want an oil sample from the drain for testing. You don't have to test it, you can just label and hold the sample. This will make it more difficult for them to ignore really changing the fluid, and you have fluid samples over time, you can always go back to do testing later should it ever be needed.

I inherited my mothers 07 Maxima with CVT. I got it at 92k and the CVT was never changed. It's a simple drain./fill on the Maxima so I did 2 drain/fills over 10k and will continue to do 1 drain/fill each fall or about 20k miles. Amsoil sells 2 gallon jugs of CVT fluid.

I did an analysis at Blackstone on mine. 92k and it was in decent shape. I would at least do it every 30k if I were you. Your dealer or mechanic will simply remove and repair with a NEW unit not fix the old one should it go bad. Not cheap at about $3500.

why don't you contact Honda America directly and get thrir answer, from the source. I would personally go with whatever they claim. Never, ever trust the stealerships. I looked on the web at one locally and they want me chaning my oil every 3750 miles, even tho Honda's MM says 10k.

Last edited:
On these modern CVT's is the factory only interested in the warranty period? Whatever happens after that is not their problem? Is this a get through the EPA certification deal and not worry about the longer term prospects?

Two will solve if it's sealed or not.

1. Look for a dip stick on the CVT

2. Look for a drain plug.

If it's yes, then you change the fluid every 25-30k.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
No transmission especially a CVT is going to last 10 to 12 years. But I would change the fluid so often. A manual transmission would have been better if you want to keep it that long.

Your comment isn't adding any value to the author's post, but my 1999 Chrysler and its original transmission is fine doing 30k pan drops. Ditto for my g35. 145k and 105k, respectively.

CVTs are something I am not familiar with, but I would certainly not skip servicing at regular intervals. I'd stick to every 30k or less. A guy at work has a CVT patriot and has to change the fluid frequently due to fluid degradation. May not be the norm, but indicates to me that these transmissions may lack sufficient sump capacity.

How much fluid does it hold? Is it in a similar model with some running history?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
On these modern CVT's is the factory only interested in the warranty period? Whatever happens after that is not their problem? Is this a get through the EPA certification deal and not worry about the longer term prospects?

I don't think that this is true.....Manufacturers want to sell you your next car, and the one after that. The plan falls through, if they sell unreliable junk.

Honda is not VW.....They have been sold on the basis of long term reliability, for 40 years. Mistakes will be made, but in general, their cars will last just like they always have.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00

I have seen transmissions go 20 years and 200+ thousand miles when you keep them serviced conservatively.

Yea, the guy with the comment about CVT's not lasting 10+ years is
just internet trouble maker, trying to stir up arguments. I am NOT
taking the bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back