Worn Kohler CV15S oil recommendatio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 6-year old John Deere LT150 with a Kohler 15hp (CV15S). The previous owner used a higher vis. oil (20-50 perhaps) because it smoked and used a lot of oil. (He mowed some pretty steep hills.)

When I got the mower a month ago, I changed the oil and put in Super Tech 10W-30, mainly because it's what I had on hand. To my surprise, there was little smoke and little oil consumption. Life, if not perfect, was a little better.

Now after maybe 15 hours of operation, it's smoking a lot more and using a lot of oil. Oil level on the dipstick goes from full to add in an hour or hour and a half.

My question is: why didn't it burn oil at the beginning? Did the ST 10W-30 break down? And the all important question... is there an oil I can use that will work better for me?

You probably hit the nail on the head. Sounds like the 10W-30 sheared down and now out of the engine. I have a Craftsman w/19.5hp single-cylinder B&S. Bought it from the outlet used. Since I've had it I run any 15W40 that I have laying around, and the engine just runs and runs. As you will find out, most here agree that it's very difficult to kill a diesel-rated oil. Another way to help your engine and save some money is to find the auto engine oil filter that will fit your engine. The name brand OPE filters are $10, and the larger auto filter is $4-6. You save some $ and increase the size of the sump by 10-15% More oil spreads the cooling load, and greater volume holds more contaminants and has more add-pack.

Last edited:
I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but if there IS a good use for a product like STP, it's for an engine like this.
Or, you could just hone and re-ring the engine?

Originally Posted By: expat
I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but if there IS a good use for a product like STP, it's for an engine like this.
Or, you could just hone and re-ring the engine?

+1 On the STP... I use it in my 20+ year old 3 1/2 hp B&S edger. The oil used to thin to water like consistency in a couple of hours of use. It seems to hold up much better now. I only add an ounce or two. To the 20 oz fill.

I have both Rotella 15w40 and some Mobil 1 10w30 on hand. Any reason to think that synthetic would do better than the diesel oil?

For those suggesting STP, is it a one time treatment or do you use some with every oil change? Thanks.

Last edited:
Yup, I know it's four years old.

I just picked up a Toro with a well used CV15S so am curious what you found out worked best for your (bmiszuk) engine ??
What filter do you use ??

Last edited:
Maybe sticking rings? Could try a heavy synthetic like Mobil 1 20W-50 v-twin oil. It's designed for sloppy air cooled engines......

Originally Posted By: Kiss4aFrog
Yup, I know it's four years old.

I just picked up a Toro with a well used CV15S so am curious what you found out worked best for your (bmiszuk) engine ??
What filter do you use ??
use whatever you wish but if it starts consuming heavily use a single weight to see if that helps.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Is the head gasket blown/leaking? That's a lot of consumption.
old thread
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Maybe sticking rings? Could try a heavy synthetic like Mobil 1 20W-50 v-twin oil. It's designed for sloppy air cooled engines......
old thread

Used a fresh Fram and some 15W40 Delvac. I'm not that worried just wondering what holds up best as this machine is getting rebuilt and I'll be using it for mowing, snow blowing and tilling. I normally run the European 0W40 Mobil 1 in my snowblowers but I'm thinking this thing will get a ton more hours so the oil breaking down on a hot day mowing or tilling is a concern.

The oil is not breaking down on a hot day mowing. You need to mow for years and years and have lots of fuel dilution before you start to see engine oil break down. If you are changing it yearly, it definitely is not breaking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back