driving on a bad carrier bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm currently in Toronto, I drove from Philly a few days ago and about 3/4 into the drive a low groan starts. It increases with speed and at 35+ mph. I had the drive side bearing replaced with oem, but an autozone reman axle. Other side still has factory axle/bearing. 00 celica gts at 115k. When the driver side bearing went bad, it made a distinctly different noise. I'm suspecting carrier bearing from searching symptoms and youtube videos.

I have to drive back to Philly tomorrow. Will it be ok to drive 450 miles at 65mph in the meantime?

Edit. It basically sounds like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siH5rBI6DeE

Last edited:
Sorry to say but that distance is too far to expect a trouble free trip, I'd look into getting it taken care of now, I assume you are visiting friends or family, ask around and find a decent independent shop one that they themselves go to, it will keep the place honest if they want to keep the local a customer.

I drove it to a 24/7 shop near Pearson intl and holy cra it sounded terrible. At 50mph it vibrates that even the key in the ignition rattled. Picked up a $40 CAD rental though, so only $33 for me.

Carrier bearing is a relatively easy repair for most shops. No more than an hour or two labor, even for the heavy commercial trucks I operate. I would get it fixed, pronto. You will not like the results if it totally fails and the housing breaks. Then we are talking a LOT of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back