Honda Drain Plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Looking at some magnetic drain plugs for our Hondas. Why? Why not? Ive used them consistently in my other vehicles, and they do always seem to capture something...

It seems like Honda pretty consistently uses M14-1.5 plugs, but there seem to be a lot of different lengths and some that have 19mm heads and others that have 17mm heads.

My OLMs are at 100% and 90%, so Im not pulling the plugs any time soon. Thing is, if I wait to measure them, it will take another OCI before I get these and install them.

Not the end of the world, but stiill would prefer to do these when I have the chance.

So... Anyone know the length? IIRC from our integra, the head is 17mm. Is there such a thing as too long a plug in an oil pan?

take yours out, pull out your digital caliper and measure that thang.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
take yours out, pull out your digital caliper and measure that thang.

Im not draining the oil for many thousands of miles.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Drain plugs

Not useful. That shows an AP-08 plug, which is a 14mm, but with 19mm head. Ours are 17mm, and Ive read elsewhere that this is too long.

But its lacking detail so that's why Im asking the question.

Sorry, thats the most basic way to deterimine it, and Im only asking because I couldnt find the answer using that or other searches.

Without actually taking out the plug, I'd just estimate. For example, my Element uses part number 90009-PH1-000 drain plug. Searching that I found this image:

V5n5tf4.jpg

Seeing that, I'd aim for a 12mm-14mm or so long plug. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: darryld13
Honda parts catalog gives you factory part numbers and dimensions - mine was located in the "Cylinder Block - Oil Pan" section:
http://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/

Thanks - I was looking under Engine at the Honda E-store and couldnt get a part number... Thanks for the lead!

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Without actually taking out the plug, I'd just estimate. For example, my Element uses part number 90009-PH1-000 drain plug. Searching that I found this image:

V5n5tf4.jpg

Seeing that, I'd aim for a 12mm-14mm or so long plug. Good luck!

Part number was what I needed. Excellent, thanks! Now Ill just x-ref.

Originally Posted By: razel
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Drain plugs

Not useful.

Not nice.

Why not quote my entire comment, since it was substantiated in detail? Using their part finder was the first thing I did, and it wasnt useful.

Originally Posted By: darryld13
Honda parts catalog gives you factory part numbers and dimensions - mine was located in the "Cylinder Block - Oil Pan" section:
http://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/

Which Honda? Weird, they list a length for most other bolts, but the drain plug just lists 14MM, hmm, maybe that IS the length??

I ordered and installed a Gold Plug AP08.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3477899/Magnetic_drain_plugs

I think all late model Hondas use the same drain plug.

The hex head is bigger now so I have to use a 19mm socket instead of a 17mm IIRC.

I carefully installed it to be sure the threads were exact, and they are.

Very strong magnet, it is stainless steel which is nice for people who live in the rust belt.

When I get rid of this car, I'm re-installing the rusty OEM drain plug and keeping the Gold Plug.

Also, it works well with the Honda crush washers.

I really recommend it, I plan on using it to just keep an eye on if the engine starts "making metal" at some point.

I am changing my oil in a month or so, will be curious to see what metal it grabbed.

Originally Posted By: razel
Drain plugs

Not useful.

Not nice.

Why not quote my entire comment, since it was substantiated in detail? Using their part finder was the first thing I did, and it wasnt useful.

how about not being a donkey's posterior?

I had contacted Gold Plug may the same time as my posting, due to the inconsistency in their online system. This AM they got back to me:

Quote:

Thanks for your question!

Yes, both the AP-08 and AP-02 will fit, but the AP-02 has the stock 17mm head size and is shorter. We actually have changed our recommendation to the AP-02 for all Honda's. This will show in our next search engine update.

Both your Honda's use our AP-02 in the engine. As for the transmissions, your odyssey also uses the AP-02. We are not sure on the Hybrid, but most Honda's use the AP-02 in the trans, so peek under the car and compare.

Your MB's:
Both uses our MP-02T. Same threads as the AP-02, but has the smaller 13mm head and longer threads.

Thanks,
Tim

So that answers that!

The Odyssey's transmission drain plug will already have a sizeable magnet on it. I'm surprised that Gold Plugs says that it's the same as the engine oil drain plug -- it's not on any Honda I've owned, but Honda could have changed that.

The engine oil drain plugs have always been 14mm x 1.5 with a 17mm head, and the transmission oil drain plugs have been 18mm (x 1.5 also I think) with a 3/8" square drive.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The Odyssey's transmission drain plug will already have a sizeable magnet on it. I'm surprised that Gold Plugs says that it's the same as the engine oil drain plug -- it's not on any Honda I've owned, but Honda could have changed that.

The engine oil drain plugs have always been 14mm x 1.5 with a 17mm head, and the transmission oil drain plugs have been 18mm (x 1.5 also I think) with a 3/8" square drive.

Thanks, havent gone to look at the at drain... Thats good to know. On a Crosstour forum someone said AP-07 was used on that AT... That is a 20mm thread. AP-05 is an 18mm...

Post 6:

http://www.crosstourownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299

Some pics of a Pilot, which may be similar, is shown here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141114223638/http://www.piloteers.org/forums/18-maintenance/33424-diy-2013-pilot-automatic-transmission-fluid-change-lots-pic.html

I would like one for the Trans now, the factory drain plug magnet isn't very strong.

On the site they post a pic of the iron it should have during a normal OCI.

I like to think of this as the Poor Man's UOA.

Most of the time when I look at UOA's online I mainly look for FE wear, so this is a simple check. I know copper and aluminum etc are important too, but for what it's worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back