transmission fluid for 1978 Dodge D150 727 tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I really appreciate all the advise on this site. I have a new question for you. I had to add some transmission fluid the other day. Old yeller has a 318 mated with the 727 transmission. I am supposed to use Dex II or III which I couldn't find in the auto parts store. I was told they haven't made that in years. I would like to change the fluid and filter. What do you think I should go with?

I used the +4 in my 77. Been working just fine. But possibly leaking a bit more. But it has been leaking ever since I got her

The 727 isn't that sensitive to the fluid used. That being said Valvoline Maxlife is a very good fluid and is recommended primarily as a Dexron/Mercon replacement. It is marketed as a full synthetic just as is their ATF +4. Valvoline also has a conventional Dexron/Mercon formulation which is less expensive. Unless you use the transmission so that it gets rather hot I would use a standard Dexron/Mercon fluid.

Even the basic Walmart Supertech dex/merc should be great in that thing. The Mobil D/M is one of the best mineral based fluids for DexronIII applications if you shop at target.

419885_x800.jpg

As you can see in the picture of the bottle of Mobil D/M it meets TES-389 which is comparable to the DexronIIIH spec that was discontinued.

The reason you don't see Dex III fluid in stores is because GM will not issue licenses for it. They only issue licenses for Dex VI.

I agree with other posters who use Maxlife. I have used it in numerous cars that originally used Dexron III, and never had any complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back