How to paint a light bulb blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I have a couple wall sconces installed in my hallways that I think would look really good if they emitted a blue light. I am not looking for these to add light to the hallway, but more accent/guide lighting. Currently I have LED bulbs installed. Is there a plastidip or paint that I can use to turn the light blue?

Paints are opaque barriers, you're going to want a dye. You could try food coloring. I'm not sure how that would work. Otherwise I'm sure you can find some translucent blue plastic film somewhere.

I use the erasable white board markers to color light bulbs.

My kitchen cabinet lighting has one end that requires a small, unmatched bulb. Since it's a different color, I use a blue marker to color it. Works perfectly to match the "cool white" fluorescent lamps I have in the rest of the kitchen under cabinet lighting.

Tamyia makes translucent model paint which I use on standard filament bulbs fitted to elecronic gear. Heat doesn't bother it. Of course you need to have a bulb which produces blue light as part of it's output because such films work as a filter, and if there's no blue to pass you won't get any output. . Try any good hobby shop.

Easy. Forget paint. Look up a theatrical lighting shop in your area that sells colored gels (plastic colored filters) used in stage lighting. Hundreds of colors available.

I use red ones a lot for astronomy use. Very durable and won't melt.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Easy. Forget paint. Look up a theatrical lighting shop in your area that sells colored gels (plastic colored filters) used in stage lighting. Hundreds of colors available.

I use red ones a lot for astronomy use. Very durable and won't melt.

Yep, the gels are great for this purpose, I used to work on independent films and they fit the bill perfectly.

Remember dyes fade, and stuff like magic marker will fade in a week. The theatre dye gels are your best bet next to getting LEDs that are "naturally blue".

You could figure out whatever they dip the 9004 headlight bulbs in to make them UBER 9000K SUPERBLOO on the shelves at pep boys...

There is heat resistant and lightfast glass paint in many colors. The best way is to dip the bulb into the paint for a perfect coating.

I ended up finding a pair of blue LED bulbs for $6 shipped, so it made sense just to replace them. Worked out perfect, I achieved what I was looking for.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I ended up finding a pair of blue LED bulbs for $6 shipped, so it made sense just to replace them. Worked out perfect, I achieved what I was looking for.

Store link please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back