How often do you top off coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
about 8 months ago I topped off my 13 Ford Explorer from bottom of the cold fill line to the middle, I checked this morning and it is back to the bottom of the cold fill line. In that time period I drove about 10000 miles, some of which were through 110 degree Las Vegas weather. Is it normal
To have to top off coolant ? I don't see any indicators of there being a leak, I wanted to do a uoa after this run but I have Napa synthetic in the sump, which has a bunch of sodium. Am I being paranoid, or is topping coolant a normal thing?

once in a blue moon: wifey's 03 camry: maybe couple of oz every 3~4yrs.

my honda fit: a couple of oz during the past8 yrs.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Never, it always stays full...

You can't "loose" coolant without there being an issue, rather big or small.

It depends on whether he is talking about a vacuum sealed recovery system (expansion tank) or unsealed. The sealed system should not lose any coolant you can notice over many years, while if you have a unsealed recovery tank it can and will lose a noticeable amount especially if it the ambient temp is hot and dry.

I did the same thing to my 08 Accord after 6 years so added more coolant to the reservor. Never smell or seen any leakage. I've no idea when it went.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

It depends on whether he is talking about a vacuum sealed recovery system (expansion tank) or unsealed. The sealed system should not lose any coolant you can notice over many years, while if you have a unsealed recovery tank it can and will lose a noticeable amount especially if it the ambient temp is hot and dry.

^^This.^^

But even a sealed expansion tank will SLOWLY lose a little. The pressure cap will vent just a little bit from time to time as the engine heats up and cools down, depending on engine temp and atmospheric pressure. That's enough to gradually lose water vapor. I've to add a cup or so to my Challenger (sealed tank) once in 3 years. The XJ, WK2, and 1500 all have open recovery tanks, and they need that much about once or twice a year to stay between the marks.

Last edited:
I always have a partial gallon of coolant left over after coolant replacement so I empty the overflow tank and fill it with new coolant at every oil change.

I started loseimg a few ounces every month or so and it turned out to be a drip that only occurred while running and it never made it to the ground. It ended up throwing a code for the 4x4 disconnect which ended up leading the shop to the water pump. Then I realized why I was losing coolant.

Coolant can weep out of a tiny leak in the radiator and you will never see the leak.

If there is a leak in the head gasket, it can get into the cylinder and go out with the exhaust.

Seems kind of much to me, check to see if you have a plastic intake manifold, they crack and leak after a time. Mine was just done, about $500. Although really, with a 2013 you sshouldn't have this problem, my Ford is 15 years old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
once in a blue moon: wifey's 03 camry: maybe couple of oz every 3~4yrs.

my honda fit: a couple of oz during the past8 yrs.

Sorry, typo...it's 04 camry, not 03.

2003 Matrix, I top off my coolant reservoir every oil change. Granted I only add maybe 1-2 ounces each time to keep it at the full line and that's only twice a year. It's not a sealed system though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back