I ran 20 year old oil in my car...here's the UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were even too early for the Pennzane days!
Aw, Pennzane, whatever the hades that stuff was, it was worthy of something.

Do you have any pics of the old bottles? I'd love to see what the labels look like. Looks like Pennzoil has always been the best of the best.

Very interesting, especially the 45 Boron measurement analyzed. I was not aware that Boron was used in additive packs back in those days of the late 1980's and early 1990's.

Originally Posted By: webfors

Now back to the regular scheduled & boring 2015 expensive syn UOAs run for 5k miles
grin.gif

Ain't that the truth!
crazy.gif

Many years ago when my grandfather passed my father and I were cleaning out his barn and we found many cases of old oil some of it was real old cans of "Oilzum" motor oil. my father ran it all in his Jeep Liberty for several years with no issues. He sold the Jeep about a year ago with over 200,000 miles. So much for bad oil oil I guess.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Many years ago when my grandfather passed my father and I were cleaning out his barn and we found many cases of old oil some of it was real old cans of "Oilzum" motor oil. my father ran it all in his Jeep Liberty for several years with no issues. He sold the Jeep about a year ago with over 200,000 miles. So much for bad oil oil I guess.

Thats astonishing. How old do you think the Oilzum was? Castrol bought them in the early 70's but that Oilzum name as persisted. Was that SE oil, which came out in 1971? Or before? SE I could see maybe not harming a modern engine, but, not a good idea. Yet it made it many miles.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Thats astonishing. How old do you think the Oilzum was? Castrol bought them in the early 70's but that Oilzum name as persisted. Was that SE oil, which came out in 1971? Or before? SE I could see maybe not harming a modern engine, but, not a good idea. Yet it made it many miles.

I wish I knew how old it was it was before I started to hang out here so I never bothered to look if it was SE or older. He asked me at the time if I wanted any but I declined and said dad why would you run that old stuff it's probably no good? His reply.... "I'm cheep and I won't need to buy oil for three plus years" funny he has also only used the Fram Orange can cheep oil filters for as long as I can remember and never a motor problem with any car he has owned.

I would believe this report would support that oil does not spoil sitting in one's stash.An interesting report.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dorcheat
Very interesting, especially the 45 Boron measurement analyzed. I was not aware that Boron was used in additive packs back in those days of the late 1980's and early 1990's.

Before running this SH Performax I ran an OCI of Mobil 1 5w20 SM and before that some older SJ/SL (mixed) Valvoline synthetic so possibly the Boron is residual...

As far as posting pictures...I'll try to get my daughter to do it but it's out of my technical abilities to do so. I do have some interesting older synthetics to post pics of...

Here's a picture of some of the vintage synthetics in my 'collection'....the Pennzoil Performax is on the upper left. The bottom photo shows the back of the bottle.

YN2InV.jpg

p5oDac.jpg

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

yeah, obviously it wasn't a good idea.

Originally Posted By: stchman
To the OP:

What prompted you to run oil that has been sitting around for 20+ years on a shelf in your car?

SH rated oil was late 80s, early 90s.

How clean is it keeping the engine?

API SH does not have the advanced detergents we have today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
stchman said:
To the OP:

I bought this 08' Elantra in August 2012 with 28K on the clock.
Apparently it had been used mostly as a station car (short tripped to and from the train station). It had some varnish on the baffle (it's hard to see anything beyond that) so I added a bottle of AutoRX (because I had it). I ran a few short OCI's of Pennzoil dino and then started running synthetic with this 7700 mile OCI being the longest. The varnish on the baffle is nearly completely gone. I would guess the syn. oil combined with several 5+ hour drives have helped.

My feeling is that this Hyundai Beta engine was designed when these oils (SH, SJ etc...) were prevalent and that many of them have gone 200K+ on such oils so I'm not too worried. This particular engine uses virtually no oil in 6 to 7K which makes it ideal for these older (higher cat killing phosphorus) oils. It seems to like them.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: stchman
To the OP:

What prompted you to run oil that has been sitting around for 20+ years on a shelf in your car?

SH rated oil was late 80s, early 90s.

Yeah, it makes me wonder how engines from the 80's and 90's ever made it. I mean the oil being so horrible and all.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I think this UOA proves that oil doesn't 'go bad'....it just goes out of spec...

I don't know if you could say its "out of spec" even though it is SH rated, the readings look similiar to SN. I wonder if the bottles or cans were shaken up before dumping in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back