'15 6.7 Powerstroke UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received my first UOA for my 6.7 Powerstroke;
I bought truck new and have changed per IOLM, no sample sent in on factory fill.
Oil used is Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30, oil and filter was changed at time of sample.
Sample was sent in on 7/29/15
Sample kits through Deere
This truck as my previous is my work/personal truck, it gets driven down the highway, loaded throughout the summer.

total miles on truck: 14,960

miles on sample: 7,840

Fe.....................38

Cr......................3

Ni.....................
Al.....................10

Pb......................1

Cu.....................13

Sn.....................
Ag....................
Ti.....................
Si.....................15

B.....................206

Na.....................12

K.......................3

Mo....................274

P....................1036

Zn...................1249

Ca...................1675

Ba......................1

Viscosity 100C.......11.7

No fuel or water present at the time of sampling.

The truck is completely stock and regeneration takes place approx 450-500 mi. during highway use.

Overall sample looks good, this is my first experience with diesel DPF/regeneration and quite honestly wasn't quite sure what to expect with this UOA using the IOLM, its obviously set conservatively. No TBN test was preformed.

Looks good so far.
Break-in still subsiding I suspect. I expect the Fe and Cu will drop a tad on a per-mile basis as it ages in.

Nothing wrong at all in that report!

How do you like the greater power, quietness, etc over the old 6.0L?

Your enthusiasm and brevity are both duly noted.
grin2.gif

Brevity was due to e-mail that I was waiting on to print had completed.

As you well know both of my 6.0's were very good to me, I put a lot of miles on them and never had an expensive break down, they didn't owe me anything.

This 6.7 is a complete beast, fuel economy is a bit better than the 6.0 and when you decide you need to pass someone it isn't an issue. there isn't a reason to keep all of those horses in the barn all of the time.
It is also very quiet compared to the 6.0.

This sample caught me somewhat off guard, I really didn't know what to expect with all I have heard of fuel dilution and guys changing syn. out early (3,500-5,000 mi.). From what I have read with this sample everyone can just sit back and let the IOLM tell you when service is required.

Yup - the IOLM is going to be conservative to begin with.

A little fuel in the oil, while not desirable, has yet to manifest into horrid results in wear. That is true of not just the diesels, but most DI gasser engines. People freak out seeing the fuel in a 3.5L EB engine, but the wear rates really are not changed much at all.

Seeing up to a few percent points of fuel does not worry me if it's NORMAL for the engine series. Fuel-in-lube is scary when you see it escalate over successive UOAs because it means an injector is leaking. But a consistent point or two of fuel with diesel regens (or gasser DI) is nothing to fret over.

The IOLM is typically set conservative enough that you'll be rid of the fuel (via OCI) long before it ever becomes high enough to be an issue in terms of affecting wear rates.

Glad to see no fuel in your oil. I recently went back a few pages and saw Beercan's samples from his 6.7 and he had plenty of fuel in every sample.

My only experience with dpf/scr and such is with my volvo heavy duty truck. Volvo uses passive regeneration and the only time an active regen (sending fuel downstream through the exhaust) happens is after many hours of idling. Fuel is never a problem due to the emissions system, although I've had injector cup issues with my previous truck that gave me 2% fuel for awhile.

I hope everything keeps working well for your truck. I'm amazed with that particular engine and transmission.

Oh...you left out the magnesium content of your sample
wink.gif

Last edited:
Mg 815

Good catch I didn't realize it wasn't printed from the email.

I'm quite happy with the current sample, as I said earlier I quite didn't know what to expect as this is my first experience with modern emissions systems. I will be happy just letting the IOLM tell me when its time to change.

I have the second UOA from my 6.7.
Oil is John Deere plus 50 II 10w-30
Oil and filter were changed at the time of sample, per IOLM
I have 24,670 mi. total on the truck with 9,710 mi. on this interval.

24,670mi. 14,960mi.

iron....................25.....................38

chromium.................2......................3

nickel..................
aluminum.................7.....................10

lead....................
copper...................3.....................13

tin.....................
silicon.................10.....................15

boron..................183....................206

sodium..................
potassium................1......................3

moly...................268....................274

phos...................882...................1036

zinc..................1038...................1249

calcium...............1294...................1675

magnesium..............805....................815

viscosity @ 100C ....11.4...................11.7

no fuel or water was present in either sample

It appears as my 6.7 is breaking in nicely with wear metals dropping, just wanted to keep everyone updated as this is my first experience with modern emissions diesel engines. No need to fear 10w-30 or trusting the IOLM as this sample was taken at 9,710 mi.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Very nice results. Will you keep using this oil?

Yes its the only oil my mom will let me [url=buyhttp://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/icons/default/laugh.gif][url=buyhttp://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/icons/default/laugh.gif]buyhttp://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/icons/default/laugh.gif[/url][/url]

I am pleased with the results especially after hearing of fuel dilution issues with this engine series, I haven't experienced it and don't forsee it. I have been using this brand of oil for about 25 years in various different diesel applications (10w-30 & 15w-40) without issue.

I had switched to 10w-30 in my 6.0 several years ago and will continue on with the 6.7.

Second UOA only echos the first; excellent wear with a great lube.

Perfect example of how a thin dino is doing what all the other more expensive lubes are doing. And you pull loads in "severe" conditions (as defined as the manual would have us believe ...) I find OEM "severe" service has absolutely no correlation to wear rate changes and these UOAs just prove that point.

I have the third UOA, changed per IOLM
7,493 mi., my winter driving consists of constant short trips
Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30 was used in this run and changed with the same along with a MotorCraft filter. Since it was short-tripped throughout the entire OC there were many unfinished regens, which doesn't appear to have a detrimental effect on the oil in use.

3/30/16 10/8/15 7/29/15

fe..............21..................25................38
chromium.........1...................2.................3
nickel.......... aluminum........ 6...................7................10
lead.............1.................. copper...........3...................3................13
tin..............1.................. silver......... titanium........ silicon.........10..................10................15
boron..........222.................183...............206
sodium.......... potassium........1...................1.................3
moly...........285.................268...............206
phos...........918.................882..............1036
zinc..........1093................1038..............1249
calcium.......1377................1294..............1675
barium.......... magnesium......928.................805...............815

[email protected]
T/S............ There was no fuel or water present in any of the samples

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
There was no fuel or water present in any of the samples
Really strange not to have some fuel there. I have ranged between 2.7% and 3.9% thus far with mixed driving and 5K OCIs. Who is doing your UOAs?

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Oilscan, its a service provided through Deere.
Not too many details on the testing methodology. Are you able to see anything in your account? I would be interested to see how they compare to Polaris/Horizon. I am not saying there is anything wrong, but having no fuel in the oil is suspect considering all of the 6.7L owners I have talked to that have done a UOA report some fuel in the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back