Amsoil EFM 5w-40, 12,974 mi., 2003 Jetta High Pb

Status
Not open for further replies.
03_JETTA_071115_Page_1.jpg

The oil in this report is Amsoil EFM full-SAPS 5w-40. Filter was a Mahle OX143D cartridge.

First thing that jumps out is the lead spike that I thought was resolved is back and bigger than ever. Other than that, wear metals, viscosity and TBN look OK.

For reference, the oils in the earlier reports are as follows:

03-12-15 HDD 5w-30
11-01-14 Rotella T6
07-20-14 Rotella T6 (beginning of first Pb spike)
03-09-14 HDD 5w-30
10-06-13 Rotella T6

So the high Pb first appeared in two back to back runs of Rotella T6, decreased to 3 ppm in the last interval of HDD 5w-30 and is back in this run of EFM 5w-40.

I'm going to take Blackstone's advice and do a short 8k interval on the current oil. I understand Pb is trending in the wrong direction and is elevated above average values, but how significant/critical is 19 ppm? Comments/suggestions are welcome.

Seems like your best results are from the HDD 5w-30, I'd just go back to that. 19 ppm is of concern, not catastrophic by any means. Maybe the engine is just getting long in the tooth or was worked a little harder this run. As [censored] said, just watch the OP and keep checking. Try to be easy on the engine when possible, don't lug it - downshift for hills if heavily loaded.

i WAS an amsoil user for years BUT it seems they are following others with the use of good but cheaper group III base oils. notice they don't blow the PAO horn anymore, lots of $$$$ advertising as well. with the exception of high TBN you may as well use any of the cheaper group III synthetics. i will be switching to mobil I extended performance said to use some PAO, "spiking" it with some costly Redline with esters superb protection. the newer pennzoil from GTL is lookin good as well. dino oils with a wide numeral spread are not as good as say a 10-30, my choice unless your in a very cold climate. with my high mile 2001 turbo jetta i went to a 10-40 from a 10-30 signature series, later adding redline as consumption increased

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I've seen some oils contain lead in the VOA. Pretty sure Amsoil doesn't, but it wouldn't hurt to check...

Thanks for trying to look on the bright side. There was a VOA of EFM on here a while ago, and as you guessed it did not contain lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back