Getting started on sport bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get started on sport bikes because reasons. I'm not some kid that just wants a hayabusa and thinks they can handle everything on the road immediately, I want to get started as safely as possible and take some years to learn before I move up.

First question is what's the best way to get started? Is grabbing a 250cc bike from craigslist that someone's dumping to move up to a 600 or whatever an alright idea? Who makes a good, but not super premium (read $$$$$) luxury jacket and helmet that can help with slow lay downs and whatnot?

Second is, other than closed tracks, is there any way to practice riding without the danger of oblivious idiot drivers?

Wait, do you already kbow how to operate a motorcycle and just want to learn sports bikes or you dont kbow motorcycle?

There sre motorcycle classes you take, both for licensing but also adv. skills improvement.
Google motorcycle class or msf+your area.

If you join a clas you can ask the instructor whats the next step.
Otherwise look online to find your local motorcycle riders forum/club and ask there. I think they will have meetups and gettogethets where you can learn to ridr safer with other folks.

Last edited:
Depending on your size, slightly larger bike may work better for both ergonomics and power. A 250, depending on vintage, may not have the performance you would want for freeway riding. Several companies make(made) sportbikes in the 300-500cc range. As far as training, https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ots/mmsc/rider-training/Pages/default.aspx provides a list of places in MN to get training. Any good motorcycle shop will have a decent selection of gear, but LeatherUp.com has an extensive selection of leather and textile riding gear, plus helmets, boots, and gloves at very good prices.

How tall/heavy are you? I agree with the previous poster that unless you're small, a 250cc bike may just be too small, even for starters.

With that said, I did start out on a 250cc bike, because that's what I felt comfortable with in the beginning, and needed to get used to the whole concept of riding. 3 months later I moved up to a 500cc.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Nice, there's a college a few miles from me that does the courses. Thanks.

Take the MSF course, then (If you are a normal sized fella, not a behemoth like me) buy a well used Ninja 250. Ride it for 6 months or a year, until you are bored with it, then move on up. Do NOT run out and buy a new sport bike in the 600CC range. They are fast, and unforgiving of the ham fisted.

By the way, it is the weight as much as the power that creates problems for the inexperienced.

I taught myself, not the best way. An msf course would be better. I used a large church parking lot that did not have that many light poles. Slow speed maneuvering is what takes practice.
I' recommend this book. Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Find a clean SV-650 and respect it.
I agree- this or a Kawasaki Versys 650 would work well, and used ones are available for good prices.

It's all just common sense. Go to a motorcycle shop and test ride a few. If you can ride a bicycle just hop on one and go :^)

A 250 is the smallest you would ever want to go,trust me on this. I had a DT175 and it wasn't near enough power for me. CR500 was perfect for me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How tall/heavy are you? I agree with the previous poster that unless you're small, a 250cc bike may just be too small, even for starters.

With that said, I did start out on a 250cc bike, because that's what I felt comfortable with in the beginning, and needed to get used to the whole concept of riding. 3 months later I moved up to a 500cc.

I'm about 5' 10", 150 pounds. Although I expect to be gaining 15-25 more pounds as muscle when I start working out and doing physical labor soon, since I'm pretty skinny right now.

Not sure what your goal is, size, level of experience, etc is.

I am 5'-10" I have been riding an EX 250 (Ninja) for many years. Can't be beat for dependability.

I learned to ride on an R1. Still ride it. If you are indeed not an idiot, buying 10 bikes and moving up is senseless. I ride my bike like a vespa 90% of time , cruise to work and back. See, but I'm not limited to that, I have a sooper sport on demand.

As far as safe riding, the roads have a trade off, I noticed, between night and day. At night you have less visibility and more drunks/tweakers. During the day you have more people (higher overall probability of becoming a pancake), and the most dangerous critters on the road: soccermoms. Those dont even have to be distracted, they will mow you down on a lane change.
Good luck to you.

I've been riding my GS500 for many years and it's been a great beginner/commuter bike.

What are you looking for in a bike? Why a sport bike in particular? For a starter bike, fairings just get in the way for servicing and are more likely to get damaged when dropped.

An older 250 Ninja is fully faired, but I still wouldn't call it a sport bike. Same with the 2004+ GS500F bikes, fully faired, but not really a sport bike. Both great bikes though.

Honestly, half the reason is that cruisers or whatever you want to call the kind of bikes that includes harleys are extremely ugly to me, and they have an even worse stigma than sport bikes, which people already hate enough. I have no interest in going on long scenic drives and sitting there all relaxed, I'd mostly use it for transport when I don't need to bring anything with me.

Last edited:
Get a Yamaha FZ6R. It's 4cylinder and fuel injected. It's sporty and extremely smooth.

The power is linear, forgiving, and it won't be struggling at interstate speeds like a 250 will.

My good friend just bought a new one and learned to ride on it. He is 5'11, 220lbs and had previously never ridden a motorcycle.

Last edited:
After you ride enough to get familiar with riding and the bike and consider a more capable bike please consider a track day school. No matter how proficient you may be, they'll make you better, and safer.

And repeat the track day schools and track day events. Don't play track day on public roads.

There's a lot to learn about riding a bike and a lot of it has to be learned by doing.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Get a Yamaha FZ6R. It's 4cylinder and fuel injected. It's sporty and extremely smooth.

The power is linear, forgiving, and it won't be struggling at interstate speeds like a 250 will.

My good friend just bought a new one and learned to ride on it. He is 5'11, 220lbs and had previously never ridden a motorcycle.

Looks nice, and a local place has a few for sale. I'll look at it more when I get more into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back