Oil for 2006 Jeep 4.0L I-6 Rubicon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously owned a 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L I6 whereby I ran 10W30 Pennzoil High Mileage oil with nice results - quiet too ! ... Although my (new to me) 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4.0L I6 engine is 12 years newer and with 92K miles - would 10W30 PYB or 10W30 Pennzoil High Mileage still fit the bill ? This Rubicon is very clean , one owner , no leaks , etc. I'm tempted to treat myself to Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic - however I don't want to tempt fate ! Your thoughts ? As I understand it - 2006 was the last year for the 4.0L I6 so I want to shower this engine with love !

If there are no leaks and no burning oil, then no need for a HM oil. It will have seal swellers which you do not need.

The 4.0 engine was a good engine except for the cracked piston skirt problem and cracked #331 head issue.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Any 10w30 is fine. Are you aware of the cam sensor failures that eat the cam in the 05 and 06 engines?

My parents have an 05 and im not aware. Can you give me info or should I just google?

I find it amazing that Jeep could screw up a good engine in so many ways year by year. Cracked piston skirts, cracked #331 head, cam sensor.

And thats just the engine!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Any 10w30 is fine. Are you aware of the cam sensor failures that eat the cam in the 05 and 06 engines?

My parents have an 05 and im not aware. Can you give me info or should I just google?

04/05/06 have an issue with the "camshaft synchronizer" mechanism.

On the older 4.0Ls that used a distributor, you had the distributor driven off of the camshaft, which, in turn, drove the oil pump.

When they added the distributorless ignition around the turn of the century, they still needed to drive the oil pump off of the cam shaft. So there is an OPDA (oil pump drive assembly), which runs the oil pump off of the camshaft.

For 04, 05 and 06, the gear on this OPDA that runs off of the camshaft wears. A lot of times it will chew up the gears and you may not notice it. it may end up with significantly retarded timing. Other ones will have the "monkey" noise from it squealing from lack of lubrication. Or, in some cases, it will just snap and stop driving the oil pump.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I find it amazing that Jeep could screw up a good engine in so many ways year by year. Cracked piston skirts, cracked #331 head, cam sensor.

And thats just the engine!!

Benz era Chrysler. What more do you expect from them?

Like miller88 said. 05 and 06 jeep 4.0's have a different style of opda. It tends to chew the cam gear up. Sometimes you can get lucky and only have to pull the head and replace the cam,lifters and opda with the upgraded aftermarket part.

If you have bad luck plan on a long block. IMO the last good 4.0 was built in 04. I would not want an 05 or 06.

According to the Amsoil application software, the 1995 Cherokee 4.0L and the 2006 Wrangler Rubicon 4.0L both require 10W-30 above zero F. I'd say you're clear to use your beloved Pennzoil HM 10W-30.
smile.gif

Thanks Chris142 & Donald - Got the Cam Sensor thing down , what do I need to know about the cracked piston skirts and cracked #331 Head issues ? Are they specific concerns for the 2006 model 4.0L ?

The cracked heads affected late 99 00 01 and maybe some 02's. Im stuck with a cracked head on a 00 grand cherokee. Sadly jeep wont do anything to help the many owners that this affected.

I am gonna go out on a limb here and recommend QSGB 5w30 as I think I read here that Chris142 had some of his best UOA's on his Jeep usin QSGB stuff. My 2 cents

I had the same Rubicon.

I ran many different oils till I landed on Amsoil XL with Wix filter. I ran the XL and not the SS as I has an extended warranty.

I got great UOA's with it even after 4 wheeling.

I ram Amsoil serer gear in the diffs and it also held up well.

Did you do the mod where you can run the lockers in 4hi?

* Read where cracked piston skirts were more of a '00 - '02 4.0L problem .

* Have no idea what a cracked ##31 head is - nothing comes up in search for '06 4.0L ?

* No , do not know about the mod for running lockers in 4hi ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

* Have no idea what a cracked ##31 head is - nothing comes up in search for '06 4.0L ?

The 0331 cylinder heads that tended to crack should have been fixed way before the '05 or '06 year...although they screwed a few other things up on it by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back