Moving to the country

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
We've owned our current house for about ten years now. The location, when we bought, was part of the "old town", was in a good neighbourhood, generally the neighbours were doctors, teachers....etc. We had a few elderly folks that had been here since the dawn of time, but we liked where we were.

Fast forward a few years and some of the older folks have died and their places have turned into duplexes/triplexes/rentals which has changed the demographic of the neighbourhood. Despite having surveillance on my deck, we've had bikes stolen, chairs stolen and most recently one of the trees out front vandalized.

We are rather sick of what has changed around us and are subsequently considering moving to the boonies.

Now, I have an obsession (gee, that's shocking
smirk.gif
) with older homes. Our current place is around 106 years old and a couple of the places we've looked at have been built in the mid to late 1800's. One, which is a bit more than I'd like to spend, has been completely redone, and would need absolutely zero work for the next 20+ years.

However, it is small.

Which brings me to the place we are currently thinking about which is a bit of a project. It is an old farm house in the middle of nowhere. Heat is propane, has two wells, dirt floor basement, but all insulated, new cement piers, supports, furnace (heat pump), water tank, wiring...etc and is quite large in size (probably 3500-4000sq ft). The basement is setup for the most part to have a poured concrete floor, it looks like it was just never completed. There are other things around the house which are also in need of completion. It is on a roughly 1.5 acre lot with the nearest neighbour over 1/2 a mile away and surrounded by farm land.

The items that need completion will roughly cost around $50K, that's new windows, a new door for both the upper and lower level for the deck and mud room access, and the roof on the back section re-done (main house already has a new steel roof). We LOVE the lay of the land, the location is very good and we really like the house, which is open concept (they've removed a number of walls) with functional fireplaces and low utility costs.

My problem is that generally I'm very slow to complete house projects due to time constraints and the like (work), and these items would, IMHO, need attention before winter, which means a contractor taking care of them. My wife loves the place (and she hasn't loved many of the places we've looked at) and the price is right, as we'd be able to do a sidestep on the mortgage, as the place would be about the same as what our current house is valued at.

It means a longer commute for both of us, as it is around 20Km out of town. Not a huge deal, but something that needs to be considered. But I'm more concerned about buying somebody else's project, since it is obvious that while there has been some SERIOUS money put into this house to get it to its current state, there is still plenty more money that will need to be spent.

It checks pretty much all the boxes for us minus the fact that it is a project. And as I said, the price is right. Am I nuts to consider buying something like this, which I know needs work and that I'll have to have somebody else complete?

Thoughts appreciated.

Same thing happened to me, my neighborhood was fine until rif raf moved in, and had cots set up in the garage for extra tenants. I moved 50 miles away where that will never happen again, and it's worth every mile. Lifes great still nine years later. Go ahead, finish the house off and be happy. Work where you have to, live where you want to.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
We've owned our current house for about ten years now. The location, when we bought, was part of the "old town", was in a good neighbourhood, generally the neighbours were doctors, teachers....etc. We had a few elderly folks that had been here since the dawn of time, but we liked where we were.

Fast forward a few years and some of the older folks have died and their places have turned into duplexes/triplexes/rentals which has changed the demographic of the neighbourhood. Despite having surveillance on my deck, we've had bikes stolen, chairs stolen and most recently one of the trees out front vandalized.

We are rather sick of what has changed around us and are subsequently considering moving to the boonies.

Now, I have an obsession (gee, that's shocking
smirk.gif
) with older homes. Our current place is around 106 years old and a couple of the places we've looked at have been built in the mid to late 1800's. One, which is a bit more than I'd like to spend, has been completely redone, and would need absolutely zero work for the next 20+ years.

However, it is small.

Which brings me to the place we are currently thinking about which is a bit of a project. It is an old farm house in the middle of nowhere. Heat is propane, has two wells, dirt floor basement, but all insulated, new cement piers, supports, furnace (heat pump), water tank, wiring...etc and is quite large in size (probably 3500-4000sq ft). The basement is setup for the most part to have a poured concrete floor, it looks like it was just never completed. There are other things around the house which are also in need of completion. It is on a roughly 1.5 acre lot with the nearest neighbour over 1/2 a mile away and surrounded by farm land.

The items that need completion will roughly cost around $50K, that's new windows, a new door for both the upper and lower level for the deck and mud room access, and the roof on the back section re-done (main house already has a new steel roof). We LOVE the lay of the land, the location is very good and we really like the house, which is open concept (they've removed a number of walls) with functional fireplaces and low utility costs.

My problem is that generally I'm very slow to complete house projects due to time constraints and the like (work), and these items would, IMHO, need attention before winter, which means a contractor taking care of them. My wife loves the place (and she hasn't loved many of the places we've looked at) and the price is right, as we'd be able to do a sidestep on the mortgage, as the place would be about the same as what our current house is valued at.

It means a longer commute for both of us, as it is around 20Km out of town. Not a huge deal, but something that needs to be considered. But I'm more concerned about buying somebody else's project, since it is obvious that while there has been some SERIOUS money put into this house to get it to its current state, there is still plenty more money that will need to be spent.

It checks pretty much all the boxes for us minus the fact that it is a project. And as I said, the price is right. Am I nuts to consider buying something like this, which I know needs work and that I'll have to have somebody else complete?

Thoughts appreciated.

Yep,that's exactly what happens here too. All the older people die off,and the properties turn into rentals. Section 8,HUD,and fourplexes will turn the nicest neighborhoods into ghettos. Time to haul [censored] away from there!!

You could do target shooting in your back yard in that place if its that far away from other houses! Can't beat rural living, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
You could do target shooting in your back yard in that place if its that far away from other houses! Can't beat rural living, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yup, that was another consideration, we could readily fire the .22's in the backyard without issue, which the boys would love.

I agree it's time to move, but 20 km is a long way from work. If the 20 km trip replaces a short car trip, it could be a lot better for your car, letting it warm up properly in the winter.

I'm fortunate in being able to cycle to work three seasons and run or walk in the winter.

What part of Ontario are you in? It's sad to hear that there's so much crime in your area.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
I agree it's time to move, but 20 km is a long way from work. If the 20 km trip replaces a short car trip, it could be a lot better for your car, letting it warm up properly in the winter.

I'm fortunate in being able to cycle to work three seasons and run or walk in the winter.

What part of Ontario are you in? It's sad to hear that there's so much crime in your area.

Kawartha lakes area, about an hour from the GTA.

Yeah, the drive would probably be better for the car for sure. The road is gravel for a section (and probably isn't plowed overly soon in the winter) but we have the Expedition, which is exceedingly capable in snow, so I'm not concerned on that front.

20km is not far from work at all. Many people, including my other half drive 80 to 100kms one way to work.

Old farm house + 3500-4000SF + propane is expensive to heat vs city utilities. Have you peeked into what owneewr states is heating bills?

You mention kids so schools how are they locally. Also decent sports if there thing? Driving far (I know folks who drove far to my area) for what I drive in 5-15mins.

I grew up rural and found it too isolating so never again for me.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Old farm house + 3500-4000SF + propane is expensive to heat vs city utilities. Have you peeked into what owneewr states is heating bills?

You mention kids so schools how are they locally. Also decent sports if there thing? Driving far (I know folks who drove far to my area) for what I drive in 5-15mins.

I grew up rural and found it too isolating so never again for me.

I lived rural when I was in my teens and enjoyed the heck out of it (shooting random junk on the back of one of the dykes), but good points. School, the kids would be changing schools and bussing. They are at a good school, not sure as to how "good" the school they would be going to is in comparison. They aren't into sports, so that's not much of an issue, they'd rather plink and play catch with each other as well as bike, all of which they could do there.

The bills, I'm waiting to hear back from the realtor for that. Supposedly, with the new furnace and the wood heat, it isn't bad but I'd like some real numbers.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

20km is not far from work at all. Many people, including my other half drive 80 to 100kms one way to work.

Wow, that's a long way! I'd better quit whining about life in the 'Peg. I'm 13 minutes from work by bike, 25 minutes running, and just under 40 walking. Driving would be 10-20 minutes depending on traffic.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
....... places have turned into duplexes/triplexes/rentals which has changed the demographic of the neighbourhood. Despite having surveillance on my deck, we've had bikes stolen, chairs stolen and most recently one of the trees out front vandalized.

I've personally seen this, and worse, happen in more places than I care to count. It's happening now in the neighborhood where my mother and my sister and her family live. The house has been in my family since the 1920s, and they are making plans to leave in the next few years because of the influx of "troublemakers" (too kind of a term for them). I'm sorry to hear the same thing is happening in your area too.

It sounds like you are keen on the new place and the challenges it presents. The fact that your missus loves it too is a huge positive. My advice is live where you are happy, and where your kids can grow up in relative peace. The renovations and upkeep are a secondary consideration, you'll take care of them in good time.

In a house that old, my first concern would be heating bills and insulation. Since it's probably 2X4 construction even if you are able to reinsulate it (or it has already been insulated) you may well be looking at some substantial heating bills during Canadian winters.

That being said, for those that understand and are willing to embrace the lifestyle, there's nothing better than rural living. It's a lot of hard work and there are things you'll learn to do without, but the peace and solitude is well worth it.

If the house is structurally solid and you're able to invest the money into it to bring it up to your standards, and if you really understand what living "in the country" entails, then I wouldn't hesitate to move.

Wow, that's a long way! I'd better quit whining about life in the 'Peg. I'm 13 minutes from work by bike, 25 minutes running, and just under 40 walking. Driving would be 10-20 minutes depending on traffic.

We've never lived closer than 35 miles to our respective workplaces when we were working full-time. Even now that we're somewhat retired, I live 30 miles from the winery (I'm part owner) and 34 miles from the county courthouse (I'm a county supervisor). I can't imagine living any closer, and I enjoy the drive on rural roads where I see more cattle than cars.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
In a house that old, my first concern would be heating bills and insulation. Since it's probably 2X4 construction even if you are able to reinsulate it (or it has already been insulated) you may well be looking at some substantial heating bills during Canadian winters.

Insulation is all R50, updated in 2011. The house is double brick and the walls are quite thick. External walls on my house (to which these are similar) are roughly 10" thick. My concern is the windows, which are original vintage and a number of the storms are missing, which means they would need to be addressed basically immediately (before winter).

That being said, for those that understand and are willing to embrace the lifestyle, there's nothing better than rural living. It's a lot of hard work and there are things you'll learn to do without, but the peace and solitude is well worth it.

I spent from 1994 through to 2000 living in rural New Brunswick, my parents had a decent spread (5 acres) in a house comparable in size (around 4,000 sq. ft) that was "cape cod" construction, former life as a gallery for the builder who made it, had 7 fireplaces and three different heat sources, LOL!

I loved the house and land. Wasn't that fond of living in New Brunswick however.

If the house is structurally solid and you're able to invest the money into it to bring it up to your standards, and if you really understand what living "in the country" entails, then I wouldn't hesitate to move.

Yes, house is extremely solid, the foundation is fantastic and as I noted all the piers are new, updated supports, basement shows no signs of rot. The addition has a new poured cement foundation (with basement) as part of it. The floor needs to be finished however.

The money earmarked for the "need to be done now" renovations would be part of our negotiation process as we'd want these things done immediately after purchase.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Buy land, build new house.

No way I would buy an old house and spend $$$$ trying to make it moder.

As I said in the OP, I love old houses, it is sort of a personal hang-up. My buddy wants me to do exactly what you've suggested but I don't like "new" houses, I have an infatuation with old ones and it is something my wife entertains (though she would prefer new as well).

I grew up in a house built in the late 1880's. Our cottage, which was my grandparents retirement home was built in the 1860's. I love the smell, the charm, the character, that an old home has. You can't build that into a new home.

I didn't say it was rational or logical, but it is "me". My grandfather had an obsession with antique boats (he had around 45 of them) for many of the same reasons. You can't have the same character in "tupperware" (as he called it) as you got in a woodie, which explained his fleet of Chris-Craft boats, many of which had modern upgrades such as a 425HP Ford V8 in one of them in particular (my favourite).

I come from a somewhat eccentric family, it is what it is.

I agree. Most people underestimate the cost of their commute.

What value do you put on security and privacy. 20kms isn't a big deal as long as the road is plowed.
And if you have a good contractor who can finish in a timely manner renovations aren't that painful.

I've got a coupe of very good contractors out of wasaga beach. If you'd like I can give them a holler. I'm sure they will treat you right.
And if you can get the work done prior to move in the whole operation would be painless.
I loved small town life. Kids were safe and worry free. I never had my guns loaded.
Now I'm in the city and the safety is off,but unchambered. Kids are with their mom still in the small rural town. No way would I agree to them moving. Too many pros to them being out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back