0w30 vs 5w30 vs 10w30 vs 0w40 vs 5w40 vs 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which weight would you recommend for a 2000 Dodge Stratus?I am thinking since it has 200,000 miles, and likely has some wear, Mobil 1 0w-40 would be a good choice. I am thinking it would get to the engine quickly when cold, and will also be thick enough when hot to hold good oil pressure. The owners manual says 5w-30 for below 38 degrees and 10w-30 for above -18 degrees. I am a believer in using what the engineers said to, they likely know their engines better than I do. However, using synthetic 10w-30, the oil pressure light stays on for 5 or so seconds after a cold start. Scary. I am thinking if I use an oil that is thinner when cold, it will reach the engine quicker and if thicker hot when hot, it will hold oil pressure well. What would you use? I am thinking Mobil 1 European 0w-40. What do you think?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Mobil 1 10W40 HM.
Would that not get to the engine just as slow or slower than Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 and make the oil light stay on longer on a cold start?

The manufacturer recommends 5W-30 on all engine sizes for that year. I have a few questions first.

1. What brand/viscosity do you currently use?
2. Does the car leak?
3. If the car does not leak does it burn or consume oil?
4. What part of the USA do you live in?

Originally Posted By: stchman
The manufacturer recommends 5W-30 on all engine sizes for that year. I have a few questions first.

2. Does the car leak?

1.-Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30
2. no it does not
3.not a drop between oil changes
4. I live in Western North Carolina

Most 0w40 are just a tid high, than a SAE 30 when warm. And they shear down fairly quick to a 30. Why pay premium for a quasi 30?

Originally Posted By: Avery4
Originally Posted By: stchman

2. Does the car leak?

1.-Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30
2. no it does not
3.not a drop between oil changes
4. I live in Western North Carolina

Since the car is not using any oil between oil changes and you live in a warm climate, I would continue to use what you are using.

Since I am a Mobil 1 kind of a guy, I would use Mobil 1 over Pennzoil Platinum, but that is just me.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the differences are how long it takes for you to be banned.

whistle.gif
grin.gif

I only suggested the M1 10W40 over the 0W40 because it seemed you were only interested in M1 oils for your car and that would be my choice.

If I were to recommend ANY oil for it,I'd just use a mineral 10W30 in your fave brand. If there's any leaks,usage,etc,use that brand's high mileage version.

Which weight would you recommend for a 2000 Dodge Stratus?I am thinking since it has 200,000 miles, and likely has some wear, Mobil 1 0w-40 would be a good choice. I am thinking it would get to the engine quickly when cold, and will also be thick enough when hot to hold good oil pressure. The owners manual says 5w-30 for below 38 degrees and 10w-30 for above -18 degrees. I am a believer in using what the engineers said to, they likely know their engines better than I do. However, using synthetic 10w-30, the oil pressure light stays on for 5 or so seconds after a cold start. Scary. I am thinking if I use an oil that is thinner when cold, it will reach the engine quicker and if thicker hot when hot, it will hold oil pressure well. What would you use? I am thinking Mobil 1 European 0w-40. What do you think?
A jug of that oil is worth more than your car.

On paper maybe it's not worth much, but he may like the car and it's worth somtehing to him

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Mobil 1 0w-40 would be a good choice.

The owners manual says 5w-30 // and 10w-30

I am a believer in using what the engineers said to, they likely know their engines better than I do.

A good
Trolling.gif
must be consistent to get a
hooked.gif
, grasshopper.

However, using synthetic 10w-30, the oil pressure light stays on for 5 or so seconds after a cold start. Scary.

That 5 second oil pressure light could be caused by a restrictive oil filter.

We have been using 5w30/10w30 Maxlife in our 180k Sebring (basically the same car) for several years and it runs great. I really don't think you need to go any thicker, though it won't likely hurt anything either.

what is with all of the rude responses? wow
guy is asking an honest question cmon

to answer the question I would use a syn high mileage oil, such as M1 5w30HM

Last edited:
I am a believer in using what the engineers said to, they likely know their engines better than I do.

I doubt that very much.
You seem very bright.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

what is with all of the rude responses? wow

I can only assume there is a history we're not aware of.

I would also assume there is a mechanical reason the oil pressure light is staying on longer than usual. I'd correct the source of that instead of changing oil viscosity.

M1 0w-40 would be perfect for that car. 2nd choice not far behind, would be to put in 5w-30 Mobil1 HighMileage full syn or Valvoline MaxLife 5w-30, since seal conditioning in a car that old might be a thing you should be doing.
If you go with the M1 0w-40, you could drop in a bottle of LiquiMoly Motor Saver, which has seal conditioners in it.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
.what is with all of the rude responses? wow

People just walk around angry, simple as that.
Yep, the M1 highMileage oil might be a great choice for this, agreed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back