What is so special about Honda DW-1 fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend of mine that owns a shop. He absolutely refuses to use anything buy Honda fluids in Honda power steering and automatic transmissions.

I asked him and he said that he has used other fluids that say they meet the Honda spec, but the transmissions and power steering pumps gave him big problems. He switched to using Honda branded fluids and has had no more issues with his customer's cars. He said it costs more but is worth it to have less headaches.

I am pretty sure Honda doe not make ATF and Power Steering Fluid that they put into their cars, so what is so magical about their elixir?

Honda doesn't run the price of the fluids "up a flag pole" and they tell you your automobile is sensitive to using any other fluids besides their own. Why mess with it? Pay about the same and put a "general application" fluid in if that makes you feel like you are bucking the system.

Transmissions are more complicated than engines. I especially wouldn't play roulette with my transmission.

That's me. Do what makes you feel best and good luck.

Last edited:
Since power steering fluid and ATF are changed at around 30-50k miles, a few dollars extra for OEM fluid over that long period amounts to less than a penny a hundred mile.

No, Honda doesn't product their own fluid, company makes these fluid according to Honda spec.

As you see most car manufactures have their own ATF fluid, but some universal fluid such as Maxlife ATF can be used in some applications.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I have a friend of mine that owns a shop. He absolutely refuses to use anything buy Honda fluids in Honda power steering and automatic transmissions....

If it's an indy shop (which it seems) I'll say it's as much about CYA as anything else. Any come backs and he refers to the invoice showing use of Honda fluids.

I've maintained an 01 Civic AT since new and now with 220+k miles on the clock. I've used MaxLife for the Z1 spec'd vehicle and also first Bardahl PSF and now Prestone PSF both labeled specifically for Honda applications. Both power steering pump and AT are original equipment. As an aside, as far as shear stabilty, Z1 was nothing special, sheared quickly.

Also using the ML and Prestone Honda PSF on a newer Accord, also no issues.

But cheap insurance using Honda fluids for an indy shop owner servicing Honda. And if the Honda is still under factory warranty, really a no brainer for him.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
+1 for 2civics

Your friend is correct.

+2. My independent shop will generally put in whatever a customer brings him, but he always strongly recommends OEM Honda fluids for automoatics. Is it expensive? Yes, but way less than rebuilt or replaced transmissions.

There are aftermarket fluids which can surpass the oem fluid but also plenty of fluids that aren't as good as oem. If he used a cheap mineral based dex/merc instead of the Honda fluid he would have problems, but Maxlife, Amsoil, Mobil 1 all make fine multi vehicle atfs.

DW1 is synthetic Z1. People over estimate Honda's quality, seriously theyre not that great. Better than Toyota and GM stuff, but thats it.

Added benefits of synth plus a better additive pack for oxidation thats it.

I would take any full synth over honda stuff.

Well, the DW-1 ATF does indeed have a somewhat unique formulation. This is most evident in a simple virgin oil analysis by looking at zinc -- DW-1 has 300-400 PPM of zinc whereas most transmission fluids don't have zinc at all. I'm sure that zinc is the not the only difference; it's probably the one visible component of an additive package that differs from other fluids.

I will say that I've used Valvoline MaxLife, Valvoline IMV, and Castrol Transmax IMV, and none of them were as smooth in our cars as the Honda fluid. Our Acura's transmission seemed to tolerate the aftermarket fluids better (it didn't become quite as notchy as the Honda), but there was still a difference. The transmission just didn't feel as smooth...like a juggler who may keep all the balls in the air, but chases them around as he's doing it. Does that zinc matter? I don't know. Is DW-1 an objectively more robust fluid than the others? Again, I don't know. It doesn't really matter to me, either. It works the best, so it's what I use.

I don't know what is special about Honda's power steering fluid, though I admit to using it as well. It's used in such a small quantity, and relatively infrequently, that I just don't see the value in experimenting with other fluids. So it costs me an extra $20 in power steering fluid over the life of a car...

It will be interesting to see what Honda specifies for transmission fluid on models that share a transmission with other makes, such as their models that will utilize the ZF 9HP transmission. I'm sure they'll recommend whatever ZF recommends...would be interesting if they continued recommending DW-1 for these...

Pretty good policy of a shop to use OEM Honda fluids. Creates trust and also he won't have to do the work again for a disgruntled customer that is not happy with shift performance, since he is, in fact, using OEM Honda recommended fluid.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
DW1 is synthetic Z1. People over estimate Honda's quality, seriously theyre not that great. Better than Toyota and GM stuff, but thats it.

Added benefits of synth plus a better additive pack for oxidation thats it.

I would take any full synth over honda stuff.

DW1 is not synthetic in the U.S....that's it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

It will be interesting to see what Honda specifies for transmission fluid on models that share a transmission with other makes, such as their models that will utilize the ZF 9HP transmission. I'm sure they'll recommend whatever ZF recommends...would be interesting if they continued recommending DW-1 for these...

these 9 and 8 speed transmission each get their own fluid. i think it's call Acura type 2.0 for 8speed, and acura type 3.0 for 9 speed.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There are aftermarket fluids which can surpass the oem fluid but also plenty of fluids that aren't as good as oem. If he used a cheap mineral based dex/merc instead of the Honda fluid he would have problems, but Maxlife, Amsoil, Mobil 1 all make fine multi vehicle atfs.

For ATF Z1 MaxLife should be okay or at least it says so on the bottle.
However ATF DW-1 is differnet. It does not say that on the MaxLife Bottle.

The only ATF that says DW-`1 is the Honda DW-1 and the Castrol Multi Import ATF says
Recommended HONDA / ACURA ATF-Z1, ATF DW-1

I dunno why one would say recommended and the other says suitable.

even in my owners manual it says its suitable to use 10W30 Oil in the trans fluid.

and the Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF says Suitable for ATF-Z1, ATF DW-1,

Personally I say go with the REAL GENUINE HONDA APPROVED DW-1 even if your Honda was a around before DW-1 was around.

The owner of the shop is correct.

also power sterring ... I have heard that you can use the prestone stuff but it depends on your climate.. I have read very hot or very cold areas the Prestone Powersterring Fluid can give problem.

Even Advanced Auto has there own house brand of Honda / Acura Power Sterring Fluid and I dont use it.

I just drive to the Honda dealer and buy it.

I know some people get lucky with with MaxLife ATF...

however untill I see a car come from the factory that says prefill with Valvoline ATF / MaxLIFE ATF

I dont see why they wouldnt do it.... I mean GM puts Factory pre-filled with Mobil 1 on Corvettes and I know other cars say Factory pre filled with Castol Edge Syn got Engine Oil. So if aftermarket brands are so good how come they do use it?

Reason::: as one person said a transmission is different then a engine...
They Factory does all kinds of tests and simulations to figure out what ATF is the best and then they use that one...

Find 1 new car that says Factory fill Tranmission with any after market Trans Fluid.

I bet you cant find 1.

Last edited:
One thing I learned about Honda and Toyota dealers and fluids. The price they quote to you over the phone is list. Often when you get to the shop you'll find the actual price is lower. They won't bargain over the phone in case you're corporate.

PITA I know, but it is what it is.

I have basically just relied on anecdotal evidence.

On my 2007 Camry, I use MaxLife. Around the internet but especially on toyotanation.com there are a lot of supporters for its replacement of Toyota T-IV and WS ATF (and quite a fair number of detractors of Toyota WS, too).

On my 2012 Civic I only use Honda DW-1. Maybe it is just superstition, but there are countless claims that anything other than Honda ATF (especially DW-1) can lead to problems. Power steering fluid and brake fluid, too. At $25 total for three quarts of ATF from my local dealership, for a drain and refill I would just rather not risk it. The extra couple of bucks spent helps me sleep better and is one less thing to worry about.

Originally Posted By: skaughtz
...On my 2012 Civic I only use Honda DW-1. Maybe it is just superstition, but there are countless claims that anything other than Honda ATF (especially DW-1) can lead to problems. .

I did that too with Z1 on the 01 Civic I referenced earlier for ~165k miles until Z1 was discontinued. Only did single d&f's too every 25-30k mi too. But when Honda dropped Z1, I went another route, MaxLife, on two Hondas and haven't looked back. 220k+ miles on the Civic is a substantial anecdote I'd say, especially considering Car Complaints AT rating on that year model. Having read this board regarding Z1 found it wasn't very special. Last time I tried Castrol IMV on the Civic and it too seems to be doing fine.

That said, I've got no problem with those that use and find peace of mind with DW1. And if I owned a Honda under manufacturers warranty I'd use it too, just so all the i's were dotted with any possible AT issue.

But I don't buy into the princess', use only Honda parts and fluids always as espoused on Honda specific forum(s) either. And why I take what's said in those with a grain of salt. My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back