BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
TR posted up some new UHP all-season tire tests recently. Looks like BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S came out on top in this round.
Not as good as Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 though, that they tested earlier.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=200

Also, judging by the tread pattern, these BFG tires would be fairly useless in snow, but the same can be said for just about all tires in the UHP A/S category.

I put a set of BFG G-force Sport Comp2's on my SRT when the original Eagle F1's went gripless (which was about 10k miles...). I'm very curious as to whether the A/S version overcomes what I felt were the weaknesses of the Sport tire.

I generally liked the road feel and grip, dry weather handling was great. But they were noisy from day one, and the wet grip deteriorated much faster than the dry grip. At first they were about as good as your average all-season tire in the wet. By the end of a year, they were really a 3-season tire because if the temp dropped into the 40s AND it rained, they were very squirrely. Replaced with Michelin Pilot Sports- much better all-around although the dry/hot grip is probably a little less. They're much quieter, and they're lasting FAR better than either the F1s or the BFGs did, too.

Since they are owned by Michelin, is it ANY surprise that they would not allow the BFG product from being as good as (let alone better than) their higher cost own name premium product??

Same goes for the Sport Comp 2 summers I have on the car now, as to the summer Pilot Sports.
wink.gif

Save for wishing that they would have built them with a lower tread wear rating than 340/stickier compound, and the tread pattern, I am VERY happy with these (yes, even in DEEP water).
smile.gif

I am pleasantly surprised that they make this (Comp 2 A/S) tire in my size, and will probably replace my 'winter' tires (currently the BFG Super Sport A/S, which I take for granted these are replacing?) with these.

440: The newest gen Pilot SS are amazing. I have never had any tire last much over 20k miles on my sig car, and some far less. Your car being slightly more powerful and a bit heavier just means your appetite for tires should be bigger! I also found they ride much better overall.

DD: I agree there is no way that Michelin would let the BFG's beat their premiere line. But the sizing issue is a real one, as I had to get a much lower profile tire is the PSS's (35 versus 45 stock)...

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I put a set of BFG G-force Sport Comp2's on my SRT when the original Eagle F1's went gripless (which was about 10k miles...). I'm very curious as to whether the A/S version overcomes what I felt were the weaknesses of the Sport tire.

I generally liked the road feel and grip, dry weather handling was great. But they were noisy from day one, and the wet grip deteriorated much faster than the dry grip. At first they were about as good as your average all-season tire in the wet. By the end of a year, they were really a 3-season tire because if the temp dropped into the 40s AND it rained, they were very squirrely. Replaced with Michelin Pilot Sports- much better all-around although the dry/hot grip is probably a little less. They're much quieter, and they're lasting FAR better than either the F1s or the BFGs did, too.

Aren't BFG G-force Sport Comp2 summer tires?
If temerature drops to 40s you are not supposed to use summer tires.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Since they are owned by Michelin, is it ANY surprise that they would not allow the BFG product from being as good as (let alone better than) their higher cost own name premium product??

Good point. Totally forgot who owns them.

Thanks for posting!

I've been a BF fan for a long time...oddly enough neither of my vehicles are wearing BF's at this point in time.

Interestingly, I am running the General G-MAX AS-03's on my VW that are included in the test. So far after about 18-20 months with them on I've been pleased. Wear has been outstanding, dry handling good, exceptional wet handling and surprisingly they are actually ok in the snow! I don't bother with winter rubber on this car, if it gets bad out there we have a truck, so no worries. The price for these was very competitive which sealed the deal. If I had a complaint, it is as the test indicated they are a little noisy, but that is to be expected with the aggressive looking tread pattern. At the price point I paid, I would buy these again in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

I've actually been quite impressed with what Michelin "lets" the BFG division do. There are some really amazingly good tires in the BFG lineup. What I've noticed is that they're positioned as slightly lower cost, and slightly lower "creature comforts." Michelin equivalents may only perform a few percent better, but they'll be quieter and probably have a longer tread life. The G-force compared to the Pilot is one example. The BFG Long Trail compared to the LTX M/S2 is similar- the Long Trail does the job just as well, but the LTX is far quieter and more refined, more suitable to a "luxury" truck or SUV whereas the Long Trail is great for an older truck or SUV that works just as hard, but is already noiser and rougher anyway.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Aren't BFG G-force Sport Comp2 summer tires?
If temerature drops to 40s you are not supposed to use summer tires.

Krzys

They are, and the first winter (I bought them in about September as I recall) they were perfectly reasonable. Yes, there was a definite fall-off when the temperature got below 40, but even in the wet the car handled and stuck about as safely as an ordinary car with all-season tires. You just had to remember NOT to drive it like a muscle car in cold/wet conditions, and I was fine with that and in fact it was what I expected from the tires. It was the fall-off with age that was alarming. By the following winter, the dry grip hadn't changed at all but when it would get wet... WOW. The change in character when rain came along was really scary- to the point that I didn't want to be caught in a cold rain in that car at all. And this was with 50% tread life remaining.

And that was another factor- I bought the car to enjoy... a LOT. Its not a weekend warrior/garage queen, its a daily driver. Financially, I really want a tire that would last more than 1-2 years and the Pilot's seem to be doing fantastic in that regard. They're expensive, but still cheaper over their life cycle than the BFGs and WAY cheaper than the OEM Eagle F-1 Supercar tires would be, since they were about as expensive as the Pilots but didn't even maintain performance with mileage as well as the BFGs.

Last edited:
they tested it against 3 aging mediocre tires..

Where is the Conti dws06, bridgestone re970as, michelin pilot sport as/3 and other class leading tires

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They need to test it against the Falken Ziex Ze950
smile.gif

While Technically rated as a UHP tire
The ziex ze950 A/S is more of a grand touring tire such as the kumho escta 4x, or org conti DWS.

It is actually one of the best falken tires. If you are looking for a performance oriented budget tire its a good value but middle of the pack as far as overall performance.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Good point. Totally forgot who owns them.

Yes, and as good as these BFGs are, IF Michelin cared enough to make either their Pilot Sports, or Pilot Sport All Seasons in MY sizes, they would be on the car/wheels as we speak.
frown.gif

IF I want a very sticky, performance summer tire, I have to go to a insanely quick wearing, gumball, 'semi-R' compound, 100 treadwear tire, like the Toyo R888s, or RA1, and I doubt that even these will be made for much longer in my NOT-'rubber band profile' size.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back