N63 Powerplant

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the N63 engine, which would you choose

M1 0-40
PUE 5-40

and or the Edge 0-40

I have run PUE (not the newer platinum) on my N62. I tend to favor GC in the 62. There's just something about it.....

I'd use Castrol 0W40. It contains titanium which is a good to have anti-wear additive for anyone who drives hard on a cold engine. It's made in Germany and uses better base oils according to Castrols MSDS vs most other Castrol synthetics.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'd use Castrol 0W40. It contains titanium which is a good to have anti-wear additive for anyone who drives hard on a cold engine. It's made in Germany and uses better base oils according to Castrols MSDS vs most other Castrol synthetics.

I noticed lately from somebody's UOA that Castrol might have cut the amount of titanium way down, from 40 ppm or so, to like 9 ppm now, if I remember correctly. Still useful AW additive though agreed.

I've run plenty of GC in N62. As well as PUE, 1 run of Motul, as well for awhile, that ~oil~ TD was pitching......can't recall the name. I always avoided M1 due to many reports of noise on the forums..

Not sure how the ~new~ Edge 0-40 compares to GC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chefwong
I've run plenty of GC in N62. As well as PUE, 1 run of Motul, as well for awhile, that ~oil~ TD was pitching......can't recall the name. I always avoided M1 due to many reports of noise on the forums..

M1 0w-40 is dead silent in my S62, as was PUE 5w-40.

Was reading an old thread with VOA's on the GC vs. Edge 0w-40, and they are very close to the same

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

M1 0w-40 is dead silent in my S62, as was PUE 5w-40. [/quote]

Hmm. Interesting feedback on M1. Maybe it's just really whatever is the cheapest at big W. I used all sorts of fancy pants oils. Still do, to a degree with my ///M. But for the daily drivers, I've been moving away on spending top $ on boutique oils......

Last edited:

I think difference is in viscosity modifiers. It i bit heavier old GC 0W30.
I used it once, seem smoother in mid range and higher rpm's then M1.
Also, definitely better cold start then M1.
Going back to GC 0W40 in next OCI's in both cars.

Flip a coin...seriously.

Better yet whichever is on sale. Or gasp BMW (Shell GTL) which is usually the cheapest when we're not talking about sales.

Last edited:
I used all sorts of fancy pants oils. Still do, to a degree with my ///M. But for the daily drivers, I've been moving away on spending top $ on boutique oils......

You still have to break out the Castrol TWS for those special M applications.

I feel so decadent pouring it into the oil fill hole in the Z4M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back