I want to protect my car that sits outside all day

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best for protecting the finish of a car? I'm not even concerned about best shine. I just want the most durable and long lasting protectant for my paint since it sits outside 24/7. Would a sealant be an option? Thanks

I currently use NXT Generation Tech wax 2.0. I'm told this stuff sucks? Help.....

After a full clean, clay and polish, a synthetic sealant would be a good choice for something that will last long enough that you're not redoing it every couple of weeks.
If you wanted to be more OCD about it have the full car wrapped in clear vinyl.

NOAH car cover, in addition to a quality wax or sealant.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
What is the best for protecting the finish of a car? I'm not even concerned about best shine. I just want the most durable and long lasting protectant for my paint since it sits outside 24/7. Would a sealant be an option? Thanks

I currently use NXT Generation Tech wax 2.0. I'm told this stuff sucks? Help.....

Last edited:
It's gonna take some work. If you want to wax it every 2 months, use a wax.

If you want to do it every 4-6 months, use a sealant.

I highly regard these sealants based on experience: Menzerna Power Lock, ReJex, FK1000P, Sonax Net Shield. In no particular order.

On my wife's Subaru, that sits outside 24/7, I washed layered ReJex on top of Sonax Net Shield. That was almost 2 months ago. Car still looks great. This weekend I might layer some FK1000P over it next.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3752301/Sonax_Polymer_Net_Shield

I will use one of the recommended sealants.

So....

1. Opimum No Rinse
2. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
3. Sealant

Last edited:
My two year old truck sits out all year in Seattle marine weather.
I use a fine nano skin (like clay bar) twice a year followed by a Duragloss 105/601 mix. I refresh every couple of months with Optmum spray way, and it still looks better than new. Not a hard process, just be determined (OCD) to follow it.

FK1000P is good stuff that is said to last in extreme heat. I use it and it gives a really nice finish. It is
easy to apply and remove if put on thin and let to dry properly. 303 on the interior is the best your can use!

Last edited:
Meguiar's NXT 2.0 doesn't suck. Don't listen anymore to the person that told you. It is one of the easier/easiest products to use and hides lightest scratches easily, but it's downfall is at least, in three cars I used it in, it doesn't last very long. Meguair's Ultimate Wax is also just a few dollars more and is better overall. So there's no need good reason to buy NXT 2.0 when Ultimate Wax is right next to it.

However, I do enjoy and miss how easy it was to use and how very little you need. .5 oz to 1 oz depending on your car.

Any synthetic wax that requires time to cross-link is a sealant. For your situation with cars parked in the sun, I get 1 year protection using Armor's All Extreme Shield Wax. However, that Wax is so easy to apply. You just wet your paint with it and wipe with the other hand holding a small microfiber cloth. After a panel or two your cloth will be soaked enough that you use it to apply/wipe. You can apply it to your car for 15mins after every wash if you like, but there's no need. I have used it nearly 3 years across 4 cars in different settings (2 parked outside, 1 garaged nightly, 1 garaged nightly + parked inside a structure)and it's averaging 11 months... pretty much 1 year.

I suppose if you wanted a yearly detail regimine:

1) clay-bar
2) Meguair's #7 glaze (re-condition your sun dry paint, leave light scratches alone)
or
Mother's California Gold Pure Polish – Step 1 paint cleaner (clean paint, scuff off edges of lightest scratches)
3) Armor-All Extreme Shield Wax or Meguair's Ultimate Wax (just to complete the Meguairs line of products :))
4) relax with alcohol.

Anytime you wash, use wax-as-u-dry.

Last edited:
As for protecting the interior and keeping it cooler in the hot months, invest in a legal window tint. A reflective sun shade, or two (one in front and one in the back, if possible) is good as well, especially if you leave the car out in the sun most of the day.

Razel wrote regarding once-a-year detailing:

"1) clay-bar
"2) Meguair's #7 glaze (re-condition your sun dry paint, leave light scratches alone)
"or
"Mother's California Gold Pure Polish – Step 1 paint cleaner (clean paint, scuff off edges of lightest scratches)
"3) Armor-All Extreme Shield Wax or Meguair's Ultimate Wax (just to complete the Meguairs line of products :))
". . . Anytime you wash, use wax-as-u-dry."

This is pretty much what I do. I'd do it twice a year, or even 3 times, but it's so hot here for so much of the 12 months that I'd probably pass out. Any time December-March is about right. For Indiana, I dunno, April or May?

I think the NXT you are using is fine, if you keep up on it. There are longer lasting products out there. (I like Collinite 476) Keep up on keeping the paint clean, and use something UV resistive on the plastic and rubber (like 303).

As has been stated already NXT Gen Tech Wax 2.0 does not suck. I use it myself, and have been pretty happy with it. It doesn't last as long as some others, but it's slick, shiny, EEEASY on and off, and holds up pretty well with proper maintenance...

I live in Phoenix, where we get nonstop sun, and my car is parked outside every day, even in the blistering summer sun and 110+ degree heat.

I use NXT as a base wax, and reapply every few months. In between, I wash it with a good quality wash (Turtle Wax Ice) and finish EVERY wash with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, which is basically a quick spray sealant. This helps maintain the underlying sealant. I've had excellent luck with it.

Here's a recent pic, so you can see how well it protects the paint and enhances the shine:

28rmmw7.jpg

NXT looks great on my 71 Skylark and I have been using it for years but it does not last long when compared to other newer synthetic waxes even if the car is stored indoors. ANY carnauba based wax, and I have tried them all, regardless of how they first look, will break down in a hot climate! In FL that means no more than 2-3 months. Synthetics last almost twice as long but in my opinion don't have the wet look or depth of natural waxed based products. You can always do a synthetic first then top coat it with carnauba but that takes time which many people don't have!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 007
You can always do a synthetic first then top coat it with carnauba but that takes time which many people don't have!

Correct -- Synthetic Sealant first, then a quality Caranuba wax.

Too bad people don't "make the time"; everyone has 24 hours in a day!
wink.gif

So I could put on some Mazerna Power Lock and then when that is done, top it off with collinite 476?

Does 476 hold up that much better than 845?

476 Double Coat..... does that mean it has to be applied in two coats?

Last edited:
Two "sealants" I can personally recommend:
Collinite 845 approx $17
Meguiar's Paint Protect 365 approx $9

But there are other numerous good ones others have had good results with.

845 is considered a sealant?

It is considered a wax/sealant hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back