Bravo 3 Outdrive Gear Oil Failure, and Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out for a nice ocean cruise in my SeaRay Sundancer 290, with single Mercruiser 454 Magnum and Bravo 3 outdrive, yesterday. All was well during my ocean run. She cleaved the waves easily at 32-35 mph @ 3600 rpm, and made good time from Fort Lauderdale to downtown Miami.

Later that day, as I made my way up the Intracoastal back to Fort Lauderdale, the engine suddenly and mysteriously shut down. I attempted to restart, but the starter was unable to move the engine. I know from experience what a seized engine sounds like, and I raised my engine hatches to investigate. I immediately noticed the engine bay was completely covered in what was obviously gear oil. That stink is unmistakable. The Mercruiser High Performance Gear Oil, that had been ejected was not its usual snot green, but a disgusting black. That alone told me it was not my engine oil, which stays clear for the entire OCI. I looked over to the previously full drive oil reservoir to find it empty and ruptured. I knew at that point that it was not my engine that was seized, but rather the outdrive it is connected to.

I was not exactly shocked or amazed at this. The Mercruiser Bravo 3 is one of the hottest running outdrives in the business; well known to exceed 300°F oil temps during operation. In spite of this, most do run correctly for their lives. However, a great many, especially those under the greatest load, do not. A Bravo 3 pushing a heavy load (like an 11,000 lb. Cruiser) places incredible thermal load on the little bit of gear oil (3 quarts) held inside the drive. The worst spot is the upper gear case, which runs completely out of the water when a boat is on plane, leaving it with zero water cooling.

Does not really matter what gear oil you use. At 350°+, things aren't going to survive for long.

Solutions? There are two. The hard way, or the easy way. The hard way is by a company has actually put together a drive oil cooler that uses a 12v pump that circulates the drive oil into a raw water cooled heat exchanger. Addition of a filter, magnet, and temperature probe are options available. Fluid condition can be monitored at the circulating reservoir (overheated drive oil blackens within a couple of hours of an event). This is the most effective solution, proven to bring drive oil temps town by 100-140°. Cons? Expensive, more holes need to be permanently drilled into the hull, more stuff to go wrong, more stuff to look after.

The easy way is the tried and true drive shower. This consists of external piping bolted to the outside of the outdrive that has pickups down on the cavatation plate that face forward into the water stream and direct that water up toward the upper gear case, where it is directed at the upper gear case, showering it with raw water. Requires absolutely no drilling, and has no moving or electronic parts to fail. Costs 1/5 of the gear oil cooler. Cons? It's like any water intake. It can become clogged. The same sea life that attacks anything else in the water will also bond to the stainless drive shower. Gear oil temp reductions are 45-60° at best.

Fortunately my outdrive supplier is honoring their warranty on my drive. It was only 58 hours old when it self-destructed. We also had a long conversation about their previous assurances that a 45mph cruiser would not need any drive cooling.

I've decided to go with drive showers, and add temp probes and gauges to my Sundancer and my Nova's outdrives. The showers should stabilize things, but if they do not, then I'll have to look into the drive oil cooler.

I've also gotten their blessing to convert the next outdrive to Amsoil gear oil, as opposed to the semi-syn MHPGO. I should be back on the water next week.
cool.gif

Nice simple solution or at least a band aid. Temp probes sound like a great way to know instead of guess whats happening.

I'd appreciate a follow up on the temp readings when you get it back together...

After a tree crushed his Mercruiser powered Penn-Yann, My BIL re placed it with an outboard powered boat. The out drive was a constant problem. Holding only 3 qts of lube. I can see why.

We had good luck with the Simrek drive shower on our 4.3/Alpha 1 drive. Granted it's not as hot running a Bravo 3, but we no longer get the white chalk residue after a day of skiing and tubing so it's definitely running cooler.

I have read about the drive showers but have not seen one. You have a big boat with a single outdrive. Most boats that size would have twin engines. My brother's 32' Sundancer has twin inboards.

My Alpha 1 is less of a performance drive being connected to a GM 5.7L engine.

Well, I actually decided to put together my own drive oil cooling system. Besides temp probe and bypass filter, I'm going to use a circulating reservoir that will add a total of 4 quarts to the system. I'm using a fatter heat exchanger than any of the kits, so there shouldn't be any issues from here on out.

I will definitely be documenting temps, UOA's, FCI'S, the whole package. I want to see if I can end up extending the OCI'S. I boat enough that changing the drive oil every 75 hours has become a PITA. I can haul my boat a lot less if it works.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Well, I actually decided to put together my own drive oil cooling system. Besides temp probe and bypass filter, I'm going to use a circulating reservoir that will add a total of 4 quarts to the system. I'm using a fatter heat exchanger than any of the kits, so there shouldn't be any issues from here on out.

I will definitely be documenting temps, UOA's, FCI'S, the whole package. I want to see if I can end up extending the OCI'S. I boat enough that changing the drive oil every 75 hours has become a PITA. I can haul my boat a lot less if it works.

Couldn't you use some of the engine cooling water to cool the drive? You would still need a heat exchanger but it could eliminate some holes in the hull.

I already have a thru - hull pickup for the engine's raw water pump, which simultaneously pulls water from the factory transom inlet. I'm going to divide the paths and use the transom inlet to pull the raw water for the heat exchanger.

I have closed cooled engine and manifolds. That's an incredible thermal load. I don't want to bypass anything from the engine's heat exchanger. I'm going to have to cut a new hole for the water dump. That I can't avoid. I'm going to use an electric pump drawing through a strainer, so clogging should be very unlikely.

That boat should have twin engines, your asking for all that single out drive can give.

That's the biggest problem, manufactures put these drives on big boats and they are simple not beefy enough to handle it.

The guy behind me at my dock has a 34ft Formula with twin Bravo 3's and has had constant issues with them, since new. Several new drives and thousands upon thousands in warrantied repairs. Same with the IPS drives, lots of warranty issues.

Last edited:
This is worth getting into because if it is as successful at the other nearly extinct kits out there, this will be duplicated for alot of others who have had Bravo detonations. Most either end up getting different drives at serious expense, or dump their boat. This can be very lucrative for me. A new, stronger drive is $9,000+. This system will cost a LOT less than that for my clients.

If it doesn't help the drive, so be it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The strength of the drive is not an issue. It has balls for days, but the oil temps are ridiculous. I spent hours just finding a constant duty gear oil circulating pump that has the temp capacity to take that kind of abuse. With the cooling going on, it should never hit that temp, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

The Turbowerx pump I'm going to use is designed and proven to pull enough hot oil to evacuate 2 large turbcohargers simultaneously.

Of all the posts I've ran across on here, this is the one that leaves me absolutely perplexed. Seriously.

You seem like a smart and intelligent guy, DoubleWasp. I have no reasonable answer as to how someone with your knowledge couldn't have prevented this high speed come-apart from occurring in the first place.

I mean, were you secretly hoping this drive would grenade as you see some $$$ in a homebrewed solution?

If nothing else, maybe this'll answer it for me: Why are you replacing it with another Bravo Three, a drive that Mercury explicitly doesn't recommend for this application?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Of all the posts I've ran across on here, this is the one that leaves me absolutely perplexed. Seriously.

You seem like a smart and intelligent guy, DoubleWasp. I have no reasonable answer as to how someone with your knowledge couldn't have prevented this high speed come-apart from occurring in the first place.

I mean, were you secretly hoping this drive would grenade as you see some $$$ in a homebrewed solution?

If nothing else, maybe this'll answer it for me: Why are you replacing it with another Bravo Three, a drive that Mercury explicitly doesn't recommend for this application?

I have 3 choices:

1. Another Bravo 3 under warranty, wait for next explosion

2. Invest significantly more money into a new drive system

3. Another Bravo 3 under warranty with something to resolve the heat issue for less than $600

4. Another Bravo 3 under warranty, try to sell the boat without using it in the mean time.

4 sounds pretty good, but I can do that anyway with option 3. If it doesn't work out, I had some fun, tried something new, and go my separate way. It's not my only boat.

Sounds to me that the drive is under-designed as far as cooling. I don't see how a larger sump would do much to fix this. I would either switch to OB's or install a cooler. One poster says that is too much power being put thru that drive. Maybe so, but again, sounds like a design issue with Mercruiser, not mis-application by the owner.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
That boat should have twin engines, your asking for all that single out drive can give.

That's the biggest problem, manufactures put these drives on big boats and they are simple not beefy enough to handle it.

The guy behind me at my dock has a 34ft Formula with twin Bravo 3's and has had constant issues with them, since new. Several new drives and thousands upon thousands in warrantied repairs. Same with the IPS drives, lots of warranty issues.

Twin engines does not solve the fact that this drive is under-sized or under cooled for the engine it is mated with. To be honest, I am NOT impressed with Mercruiser. They remind me of the GM/Ford of the late 70's. They put out old, technically obsolete junk that also happens to weigh a ton....and this is from the owner of a boat with a Mercruiser drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back