Installing an inline ATF filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering installing an inline ATF filter in my 05 Tacoma and wife's 14 Rav4. I plan on performing a full ATF flush as well as replacing the OEM filter on my 05 Tacoma @ 135k. Flushed at 68k but did not drop the pan. Which ATF cooler line (flow to or flow from) should an ATF inline filter be installed? Any other advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Put it on the return line. Start the engine cold, put the tranny in drive and hold your foot on the brake for a few seconds. Put it back in park, turn if off, and feel the tranny lines. The cooler one is the return line.

According to Magnefine, the only reason they suggest the return is after a trans failure when there might be debris in the cooler. Otherwise either line is fine. I would suggest looking at each line and seeing which would be a better/easier mount.

I have a Magnefine in pickup and Jeep, the Jeep is in the return and the pickup in the supply.

If you email Magnefine they will tell you hose size, but most are 3/8".

Originally Posted By: Donald
According to Magnefine, the only reason they suggest the return is after a trans failure when there might be debris in the cooler. Otherwise either line is fine. I would suggest looking at each line and seeing which would be a better/easier mount.

I have a Magnefine in pickup and Jeep, the Jeep is in the return and the pickup in the supply.

I'd think this would be a reason to put it in the feed to the cooler, so that any debris didn't get into the cooler...

I just finished installing an External HD Transmission cooler and a remote spin-on transmission filter. I mounted the spin on filter to the bottom of the battery plate/stand using some galvanized steel angle iron plates with pre-drilled holes.

My remote spin-on filter setup is from B&M while my cooler is from Hayden. The transmission fluid is filtered from the transmission before it enters the remote transmission cooler. With this setup, I can change the "oil filter" easily by just spinning on another filter....anytime. Thus, with removing the cooling lines to the bottom of the radiator, I have eliminated the possibility of the "strawberry milkshake". The radiator and transmission fluids mixing due to failure of the transmission lines/radiator cooling lines, OEM setup, was a weak point in my 3rd generation 4Runner, SR5

The cooler is mounted in the front of the radiator, attached to the frame at a 60-degree angle so air can flow over, under, around and through the cooler. I passed on the "plate and fin" model since it would restrict air flow through the cooler. Instead, I opted for the tube and fin cooler model in a serpentine design

The angle of the cooler is not pretty....but IMO.....more efficient rather than having it mounted flush to the radiator. I used spring clamps for all of my connections rather than the "screw down" type. These will expand and contract automatically with heating and cooling of the hose lines.

Next, on my projects list, will be to remount the oil filter assembly to the inside of engine compartment using the hydrolic hoses, fitting and a remote spin on filter setup from Hayden. This will make changing the OF easy like changing the external transmission OF.

I'm using an oversized Mobil 1 EP, OF on the remote transmission mount. IMO....Any filter is better than no filter.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Maddeningly, there's some 11/32" out there. Folks just put on a couple clamps, real tight.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I just finished installing an External HD Transmission cooler and a remote spin-on transmission filter. I mounted the spin on filter to the bottom of the battery plate/stand using some galvanized steel angle iron plates with pre-drilled holes.

My remote spin-on filter setup is from B&M while my cooler is from Hayden. The transmission fluid is filtered from the transmission before it enters the remote transmission cooler. With this setup, I can change the "oil filter" easily by just spinning on another filter....anytime. Thus, with removing the cooling lines to the bottom of the radiator, I have eliminated the possibility of the "strawberry milkshake". The radiator and transmission fluids mixing due to failure of the transmission lines/radiator cooling lines, OEM setup, was a weak point in my 3rd generation 4Runner, SR5

The cooler is mounted in the front of the radiator, attached to the frame at a 60-degree angle so air can flow over, under, around and through the cooler. I passed on the "plate and fin" model since it would restrict air flow through the cooler. Instead, I opted for the tube and fin cooler model in a serpentine design

The angle of the cooler is not pretty....but IMO.....more efficient rather than having it mounted flush to the radiator. I used spring clamps for all of my connections rather than the "screw down" type. These will expand and contract automatically with heating and cooling of the hose lines.

Next, on my projects list, will be to remount the oil filter assembly to the inside of engine compartment using the hydrolic hoses, fitting and a remote spin on filter setup from Hayden. This will make changing the OF easy like changing the external transmission OF.

I'm using an oversized Mobil 1 EP, OF on the remote transmission mount. IMO....Any filter is better than no filter.

This is the way to go is you have $$, time and space under the hood.

If you only have 15 minutes and under $20, then a Magnefine is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: mongo161

I would like to know what you find in the filter if it was cut apart. The only thing I see (with my eyes, not a microscope) in the Magnefine is a lot of steel paste covering the magnet. Almost nothing in the actual filter media. Now the Magnefine filter media is 30 microns and your filter is maybe 15, and its possible there are many very fine particles stuck in the media of the Magnefine (too small for me to see). But I think the magnet does remove stuff as the ATF is forced past the magnet. This observation is from 3 or 4 Magnefine filters I have opened up.

I should note that in all these cases, I have been using Amsoil ATF, so maybe I should not expect much to be caught in the filter as there is not much to be caught.

I forgot to mention that I'm using a "Filter Mag" on this external spin on Mobil 1 filter just like the "Filter Mag" on my oversized M1 oil filter. Both filters are the same size for more filter media and added fluids.

IMO...these "Filter Mags" help catch any steel or iron particulate matter from re-circulating in the engine....and now the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back