AT Tires with mountain/snowflake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some AT tires that are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol for fall and winter rubber on my F150.

So far I have found:

BF Goodrich AT KO2
General Grabber AT/2

Any more out there I should be considering.

Last edited:
I'll cast my vote for the BFG KO2's, I bought a set for my f250 from Tread Depot not long after they were released. I've put about 8k miles on them and I'm very pleased so far. I live in south Louisiana so I'll likely never know how they perform in the snow. Ive been using the truck lately driving to and from work and they seem to be holding up well on highway. Slightly loader than the Michelins that came on it but on a 3/4 diesel that's not a concern.
My other consideration was the Toyo AT2's, I'm not sure if they have the snowflake or not.
I also considered the Cooper st maxx's but the speed rating wasn't high enough and should I need to warranty the tire I didn't want that to become an issue.

Last edited:
Im running the Coopers on my Jeep. No snow here but they run very smooth and quiet. I have run a lot of different AT tires and am impressed with these.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Looking for some AT tires that are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol for fall and winter rubber on my F150.

So far I have found:

BF Goodrich AT KO2
General Grabber AT/2

What size?

Size is a good question. The Cooper A/TW only comes in LT load range E if I recall correctly. Not sure I'd want E's on a 1/2 ton.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog

So far I have found:

BF Goodrich AT KO2
General Grabber AT/2

What size?

Currently running 275/55/20's....but want to downsize to 275/65/18 for the AT tires.

I use UniRoyal M/S Plus on my winter wheels, and I've driven the Scirocco over Wood Head and Snakes Pass in inches of snow in the winter.
I was passing stranded AWD road cars like X5s and TTs, also saw two stranded articulated lorries, a Police Ford Transit on its side, and various others in ditches and hedgerows.
My Scirocco is NOT an off road car, lowered and corner weighted on coilovers with chassis bracing and very nice paint, it's really not the car to take it in a snow storm.
Unless I drive on ice like Stig Blomvquist (I really don't) then it has to be down to the tyres getting me through conditions that had amateur and professional drivers in 2 and 4 wheel drives crashed or stranded.

I won't be doing it again unless I really have to, but it was the first time I'd needed winters in years and years, and I wanted to see how they performed.
In this case they were surreally capable.

The AT/2 is a very well proven tire for snow conditions. The Discoverer AT/3 is not a snowflake symbol, but does excellent - I can only imagine the Discoverer AT-W would be better.

BFG AT KO2 are nice tires, but expensive.

I don't have any experience with AT tires, but these new "All Weather" tires (all seasons with Mountain Snowflake) have intrigued me.

Goodyear makes the Wrangler SilentArmor:
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-silentarmor

Nokian has the Rotiiva AT:
http://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at-plus/

Kumho makes the Road Venture SAT:
http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/category/truck-suv/C205BDE8-F7FF-4E90-82F1-4B22403CF2EB

Poster above is correct about the Cooper A/TW:
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-A-TW.aspx

BTW, I believe that it is up to the manufacturer to have the Mountain Snowflake symbol. A lot of other tires may pass the requirements, but they choose to leave it off (possibly to avoid killing the snow tire market). I also understand that the requirements are quite outdated, which is why many new all season tires could also pass.

I assume in your area in Canada, though, that you're required to have a tire with the mountain snowflake on it during the winter months, so I understand your search and your needs for a tire that actually has the mountain snowflake.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
Maybe the Cooper A/TW: http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-A-TW.aspx

I just installed the A/T3s on my truck and they are very smooth and quiet...and I just took off Michelin A/S tires! They have almost the same tread pattern.

I would have high expectations of the A/TW based on my experience with A/T3's as well. They have been fantastic through two very harsh winters for me in west Michigan.

That aside, do you require the Severe Service symbol to fulfill legal requirements? If not, the plain AT/3 might be a good choice, also.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I assume in your area in Canada, though, that you're required to have a tire with the mountain snowflake on it during the winter months, so I understand your search and your needs for a tire that actually has the mountain snowflake.

Yes I'm in Canada, but in Ontario it isn't law to run winter rated tires in winter. It is in Quebec.

Looking for a good AT tire to handle duty from October to March/April to cover hunting season and winter....Hit two birds with one stone. Good looks on the truck is also a bonus

The Pirelli Scorpion ATR's on now are not bad. They are classified as an AT tire, but in reality they are more of a HWY tire with some AT looks. They are in good shape so I will run these during the summer.

Last edited:
I had Goodyear Wrangler silent armor's on my F150 for the last 3 winters. They had the mountain/snowflake and were great in snow. I don't know how the new all terrain adventures would compare but of course Goodyear says they are an improvement. I went with General Grabber AT2's this time around due to looks, pricing and available rebates.

Last edited:
I've owned 6 sets of E load range Duratracs, two sets of General Grabbers, two sets of Michelin LTX AT2, a set of LTX MS2, a set of Cooper AT3's and now the KO2's. I find the KO2's far superior to all of the above listed. So much so, that I have switched out a set of Grabbers, purchased another set for the T4R and have convinced numerous friends to run the BFG. Amazing tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb_13
I had Goodyear Wrangler silent armor's on my F150 for the last 3 winters. They had the mountain/snowflake and were great in snow. I don't know how the new all terrain adventures would compare but of course Goodyear says they are an improvement. I went with General Grabber AT2's this time around due to looks, pricing and available rebates.

They have softened the compound and the sidewall for a better ride. Also seems to be a lower mileage compound than Silent Armors which were lasting over 70k in many instances. All Terrains are rated for 60k and last that long with regular rotation and alignment. Slightly lower than Silent Armors in price too. Same/Similar traction as Silent Armors. Have an extra center rib over the Armors too.

My bud has 20s with the snowflake. Goodyear something or other. Very expensive and they are wearing pretty fast. We go to the Rockies riding snowmobiles a lot and if you are pulling a trailer in a storm DOT makes you chain up, unless you have the snowflake tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back