Purolator fixed the tearing issue!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more Tearolators!!!!!

Purolator Classic L14610
Date code F12F19E3 (December 19, 2014)
used on a 2008 Civic LX, R18A1 engine
6500 miles was the OCI, following the MM at 15%
It was on for about 3 months
Napa Synthetic (Synpower) 0w20 was the oil used

One of the metal end caps came off due to where I cut it.

The ADBV was a bit more firm than usual

New filter is a P1 PL14610
New oil is Mobil Super Synthetic MSS 0w20 (not M1)
It will again be run according to the MM

But the big news is that they fixed the tearing issue

So filters as of December 2014 should be safe to use

19733359995_e550652261_k.jpg

19707148616_1423d1e7da_k.jpg

19546739619_aae4f544f1_k.jpg

19546738759_c9da1b0ad6_k.jpg

19546738009_b7d94ac566_k.jpg

19733355245_243bc59854_k.jpg

19545304968_582d30e919_k.jpg

just cut open a Pure one 1412 3500 miles mobile 5-30, looked fine, no tears valve pliable. While forcing the pleats apart by the seam just to see how much it takes to tear them I see it is possible to cause a teat that looks a lot like the one I have seen posted here. LOL...

Originally Posted By: Skanky
just cut open a Pure one 1412 3500 miles mobile 5-30, looked fine, no tears valve pliable. While forcing the pleats apart by the seam just to see how much it takes to tear them I see it is possible to cause a teat that looks a lot like the one I have seen posted here. LOL...

Do you have the date code?

F08F04E1 This is the 3rd one I have cut open in three years no tears no issues, however the OEM sub leaked from the gasket...

Last edited:
I think you might want to hold off on calling the whole thing fixed. I think you got lucky, by the looks of the filter, your engine is extremely clean so it wasn't as loaded as some others.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think you might want to hold off on calling the whole thing fixed. I think you got lucky, by the looks of the filter, your engine is extremely clean so it wasn't as loaded as some others.

Yeah, somebody just 10 minutes before him posted about a PureOne metal endcap being unglued.

Also OP you drove 6500 miles in 3 months. That type of miles means the engine was getting up to temperature and not leaving a lot of moisture in the oil.

had it been 6500 miles in one year the moisture may have been much harder on the pleating.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Yeah, but it was the longest OCI ever for this car, and I've used two P1's in the past that have torn

F08F04E1 This is the 3rd one I have cut open in three years no tears no issues, however the OEM sub leaked from the gasket...

what does my date code mean?

F (first F) - made in Fayetteville, NC
08 - August
F (second F) - 2014
04 - the 4th day of the month
E - production line E
1 - first shift

Your filter was made on August 4, 2014

I forgot I cut the PL one from my boat also so for me that's 4 in 3 years no tears. I have a few left so I will continue using and cutting until they are gone. Mostly switching because I think the ultra will flow better especially with the heavier oil in the boat and suburban. Also the PL one is only rated at 3K per their website and I want to run 5-6 K and out to 7-8K if Im busy (read forgot) so the ultra fits for me. And if I ever find any issue I will post it but to post no issues wont happen, just see other posts with no issues, looked like that ...

Also just my opinion but any tears that were cut open with tin snips have no merit to me. The can is close and if you catch the pleat it will tear. Like I said before I tore mine on purpose just to see how easy it was and tin snips would easily catch at the pleat by the seam and could tear it.

I'm not the OP and I'm not proclaiming anything either, made me laugh also. Just going to use up my stash and cut them all and move on to the ultra and cut them as well. I would have cut more but until recently didn't have a cutter that would open enough for some of the filters. I do now.

They all didn't tear necessarily. So this means nothing. Only a percentage did tear. We don't know what engineering changes they might have made.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
No more Tearolators!!!!!

So filters as of December 2014 should be safe to use

LOL ... one Purolator that didn't tear and the problem is magically fixed. LoL ... hilarious! Sounds like a shill move.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back