Going Fully-Synthetic in my 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am looking to switch my truck's factory oil to full-synthetic. The truck has 7,000 miles on it so it will be the first oil change. I was just looking for recommendations on brands that would work well with my motor. it is the 5.7L HEMI motor
smile.gif

I was thinking of Redline, Royal Purple and Pennzoil.

Thank you all and have a great day.

Originally Posted By: kahlman79
Hello. I am looking to switch my truck's factory oil to full-synthetic. The truck has 7,000 miles on it so it will be the first oil change. I was just looking for recommendations on brands that would work well with my motor. it is the 5.7L HEMI motor
smile.gif

I ran Royal Purple API SN in a 2012 Ram and it did well. I also Ran Amsoil OE, and MSS before i sold the truck with a low 17k miles on it.

Redline will not meet your warranty requirements. MS-6395 is the spec.

Pennzoil platinum and ultra platinum are great as well.

Factory fill was likely PYB or a semi-syn Sopus product. The Hemi engine is easy on oil

Last edited:
Thank you for the fast response. I read that some motors work better with certain oils, so I was just checking. I completely forgot about Amsoil too. I will probably choose between the Royal Purple API and the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

Thanks again.

What weight oil does the manufacturer suggest ?

Going from Conventional or Semi-syn to a full synthetic of the same brand and weight as the FF is never a bad idea.

Keeping it similar but stepping it up a notch.

Quote:
Going from Conventional or Semi-syn to a full synthetic of the same brand and weight as the FF is never a bad idea.

All API oils are compatible and you can switch brands as often as you would like without issue. I would recommend the OP stick to 5w20 tho!

Last edited:
I used mobile 1 syn in my Honda 70 when i was 13 ...i'm over 50 now and never a failure on anything I bought new.

I would also do the Diff as well. I did my 96 4x4 ranger @6 months old and the lube was contaminated with what i think was water (milky white).

I am settled on the motor oil. Now I need to decide on the filter. I realize that this is not a huge deal, but when some brands are made by other brands... I like to get good opinions on a solid product.

In your opinion, what is a solid oil filter brand that you can't go wrong with?

Last edited:
smile.gif

PU 5W-20 and the OEM filter. Changed out the factory fill with mine at 1,700 miles. Truck has been flawless so far.

M1 ep 0w20 in mine with fram ultra. 6500 miles so far so good this oci.

I wouldn't go out of your way to find the PU.

I'm only running what I am because I got it for $1 a quart. I'd happily run just about any namebrand oil in this thing.

Don't be scared of loading up on pyb or vwb.

Just pick a namebrand 5w20 or 0w20 and you'll be good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Quote:

All API oils are compatible and you can switch brands as often as you would like without issue. I would recommend the OP stick to 5w20 tho!

Yes they are, I fully agree.

I just offered it as one way forward if undecided on which brand to use. Another way forward is to see what name brand oil is on sale at your local auto store (given suitable weight and rating). Or start reading UOAs. Many ways forward.

Here it is not uncommon to inherit your oils down your paternal blood line, "my dad always used ..."

Quote:
I am settled on the motor oil.

Which one!? This Is BITOG, we have to know!

I have chosen the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Now to decide on whether I use the OEM filter from Mopar, or an aftermarket brand. So many decisions.

Quote:

I have chosen the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Now to decide on whether I use the OEM filter from Mopar, or an aftermarket brand. So many decisions.
I will be using the Mopar filter on mine, one less thing for them to whine about if warranty work needs done.

Quote:

I honestly feel you would save money with pp or shopping for what's on sale.

Check the sales section on here.

$4 back on pp with the ibotta app on your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back