A polymer from a plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
These plants produce a polymer in cells known as, "articulated lacitifers," and may grow up to 5 feet tall, but more commonly are only 4 to 8 inches tall.

These polymers are used in various vehicle components, either by themselves or mixed with their synthesized counterparts. These vehicle components are the only components that may touch the road.

What is 1.) this polymer's common name, 2.) what plant as described produces this polymer?

Guidelines for the Question of the Day:

1. No Piston Cup Lapel Pin will be awarded to the same person within 14 days of a previous award.

2. Please respond with a complete sentence or explanation.

3. Please do not post links. If a question arises as to the need for clarification, then sources and links may be requested.

4. Please, no off topic posts.

Last edited:
You find them most notably in things we call latex. A lot of different plants produce these even the lowly banana tree. In car's I would imagine it is used in the manufacture of tires and other products we call "rubber".

1.Latex,Rubber

2. Rubber Tree like Castilla elastica

Originally Posted By: JFK
You find them most notably in things we call latex. A lot of different plants produce these even the lowly banana tree. In car's I would imagine it is used in the manufacture of tires and other products we call "rubber".

1.Latex,Rubber

2. Rubber Tree like Castilla elastica

Rubber = Latex (a polymer), and the application would be tires, hoses, mounts, etc. Tires are the only vehicle components that normally touch the road, unless you drive my S-10.
smile.gif

What is the plant in question?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The Hevea or Para rubber tree?

Sorry, not the plant,
smile.gif
but keep going.

Quote:
...and may grow up to 5 feet tall, but more commonly are only 4 to 8 inches tall.

Last edited:
As I said, Rubber Tree or Seringueira (Hevea brasiliensis). Brasil was the widest supplier in the world. You scratch the skin cauleum of it and fill a vessel with its white juice (sap).

Actually, No, they are huge Trees, not a few feet high...

So, it is the Parthenium argentatimi (guayule).

Last edited:
The polymer is natural latex.

About 17,000 trees, shrubs, and plants produce natural latex.

The plant in question is the common dandelion.

The Russian dandelion can grow up to 5 feet tall, but most "yard weed" variety dandelion plants grow only to 8 inches tall.

The guayule,

http://cals.arizona.edu/fps/sites/cals.arizona.edu.fps/files/cotw/Guayule.pdf

has been targeted as another source of latex, along with the "lowly" dandelion,

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131028114547.htm .

http://www.continentaltires.com/www/tires_de_en/themes/news/dandelion_en/ ,

Yield and quality of latex from any plant determines the amount of interest in that plant as a source of natural latex.

Tire and Vehicle Dynamics, Third Edition, (2012). Hans Pacejka and Igo Besselink, Elsevier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
No points for naming the dandelion?

The question asked to provide two answers simultaneously.

However, as consolation prizes, OEJ and JFK will receive the silver "piston" from the Piston Cup Lapel Pin. Makes a great "keyring."
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
No points for naming the dandelion?

The question asked to provide two answers simultaneously.

However, as consolation prizes, OEJ and JFK will receive the silver "piston" from the Piston Cup Lapel Pin. Makes a great "keyring."
cool.gif

Sorry, I didn't think I had to repeat a correct answer already given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back