Fram Ultra XG7317/M1 M1-110 in Subaru 2.5 boxer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NO2

Has anyone had experience using 3rd party filters low pressure valve in a Subaru 2.5 with the high bypass pressure relief valve spec? I understand that some filters like the Fram ultra have additional surface area reducing the bypass pressure requirements, but how have they performed under real world conditions vs Subaru OEM filters?

I would like to start extending the OCI and am not comfortable doing so with the OEM filters.

Originally Posted By: NO2
Has anyone had experience using 3rd party filters low pressure valve in a Subaru 2.5 with the high bypass pressure relief valve spec? I understand that some filters like the Fram ultra have additional surface area reducing the bypass pressure requirements, but how have they performed under real world conditions vs Subaru OEM filters?

I would like to start extending the OCI and am not comfortable doing so with the OEM filters.

Fram Ultra has less surface area. It uses more depth filtering, since it uses a rather unique double layer of synthetic filter media instead of paper like other filters use. Ultra is going to win any comparisons you want to make, flow, filtration, longevity.

Motorking has answered this question including providing flow and delta p data. No problem for the Ultra to handle any flow the boxer can throw at it. I run an Ultra in my Forester with no issues.

You run an ultra in your forester with no problems that you know of yet.
I am running a couple of ultras and so far so good i was always worried about flow in filters that catch such small particles and who knows they could spend most of their time in bypass but so far so good as far as i can see when i get to the 10,000-15,000 mile mark i will get a uoa and cut open the filters very carefully. I will say the ultra seems to be constructed very well. Another filter i see constructed very well is the non e core delco filters, there is a big improvement there also. I lean toward Wix filters but may go to the Fram ultra totally in the future for my families cars and trucks

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I am running a couple of ultras and so far so good i was always worried about flow in filters that catch such small particles and who knows they could spend most of their time in bypass but so far so good as far as i can see when i get to the 10,000-15,000 mile mark i will get a uoa and cut open the filters very carefully. I will say the ultra seems to be constructed very well. Another filter i see constructed very well is the non e core delco filters, there is a big improvement there also. I lean toward Wix filters but may go to the Fram ultra totally in the future for my families cars and trucks

Seriously man stop spreading bad information someone might mistake as true. Fram already quoted their super low pressure drop figures the Ultra flows so well it's likely never in bypass unless super cold.

Wouldn't you need a magic eye into the filter to see? You could use a 50% efficiency Wix with 23 psi in place of the OE but then, why?

Wix 57712/Napa Gold 7712
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Seriously man stop spreading bad information someone might mistake as true. Fram already quoted their super low pressure drop figures the Ultra flows so well it's likely never in bypass unless super cold.

Crazyoildude has a big hang-up over flow ... it's like in every thread! Dude, the flow is gooooood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back