Time for a new shop computer- have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the shop, we've been using an old HP G50-102NR laptop for parts lookup/ordering, shop tickets and storage. I've got Ubuntu 14 on it, which has worked well enough for a while now. Unfortunately, it's been getting quirky- it seems to act up as it gets hotter. It won't print sometimes and is generally becoming a pain.

I'd like to replace it with a tower, but space is pretty tight... but not completely out of the question. Was thinking about an all in one job... But have some concerns. First- how easy are they to clean? Shop is dusty and it will require some periodic blowing out. Second, how would Ubuntu work with one these units? I have ZERO desire to mess with anything Microsoft. Lastly, we don't have any hard wire internet access due our rural location, which means that we are dependant on our mobile phones for their hotspot capabilities. So, would one of these new units have a wireless card?

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
So, would one of these new units have a wireless card?

You can always add a wi-fi card on the outside (plugged into a USB port), if it doesn't already have one on the inside.

Does it need to be powerful? If not, and space is tight, why not just get one of these little guys and install Ubuntu on it? It's got wi-fi built in, and it's fanless, so even if some dust gets into it, it shouldn't matter much. You can add an external USB drive for storage needs.

Personally, I'm not a fan of all-in-ones, because if any one part dies, the whole thing becomes useless. If you don't have a monitor sitting around, you can pick up a used monitor on craigslist for not a lot of money to go with that little HP box I linked to above. It just needs to have an HDMI or DP input.

BTW, that little HP box should be significantly faster than your old laptop with that single core AMD Sempron CPU in it.

In Google, type in system 76 desktop. They specialize in laptops and desktops equipped with factory installed Ubuntu and have been since 2005. They are based in Colorado, where your computer would be assembled.

The HP Stream Mini is a great device, but you will get regular warnings that there is not enough memory, even when only using 50%. Haven't dug into it enough to get rid of the warning.

I use it as my main media device for streaming across my network, Netflix and YouTube to my TV.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
The HP Stream Mini is a great device, but you will get regular warnings that there is not enough memory, even when only using 50%. Haven't dug into it enough to get rid of the warning.

I use it as my main media device for streaming across my network, Netflix and YouTube to my TV.

Is that a Microsoft Windows warning, a Ubuntu warning, or an internal warning?

I am only interested in running a Linux based distribution.

I think that is a Windows 8.1 warning.

How much RAM does your current laptop have? If it has 2GB and Ubuntu runs fine on it, then it'll run fine on this HP box as well. And if you want, you can always throw a larger RAM stick in it.

I do like that MintBox Mini posted above as it already has 4GB and Linux installed on it, and a larger SSD.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

How much RAM does your current laptop have? If it has 2GB and Ubuntu runs fine on it, then it'll run fine on this HP box as well. And if you want, you can always throw a larger RAM stick in it.

I do like that MintBox Mini posted above as it already has 4GB and Linux installed on it, and a larger SSD.

Yeah, it's a Windows warning. I've been meaning to put another 2GB in mine just to get rid of the warning, but haven't got around to it.

Is the software you use web based?

Another turn key solution is chromebox(a tiny box) or a chromebook.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Check out System 76 as mentioned above. https://system76.com/desktops

Also check out the Mintbox (runs Linux Mint) for $295: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/purchasing/order-mintbox/

The Mintbox has wireless, 64GB SSD and 4GB of RAM.

Hey thanks for the link to the System 76 and Mintbox! (You too Quattro Pete- I forgot to quote your post) I always thought that the 76 units were strictly laptops and out of the price range I wanted to spend. Those little fan less units look flipping awesome!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

RAM? This little sucker has.... I dunno 512MB? Not much. Buntu runs on it, but is a bit on the laggy side. Not terrible though.

Originally Posted By: racer12306

Yeah, it's a Windows warning. I've been meaning to put another 2GB in mine just to get rid of the warning, but haven't got around to it.

Thank you for clarifying.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Is the software you use web based?

Another turn key solution is chromebox(a tiny box) or a chromebook.

The parts ordering is all via the internet- no different than ordering anything else online. Our shop tickets are just basic spreadsheet based, using Libre Office. They are then printed and the file saved under the customer's name.

As I'm sure you guys have figured out, our needs are very basic. I want low maintenance and reliability- preferably not in a laptop package.

Is there any reason I couldn't nix Mint and replace with Chrome on the Mintbox? My partner isn't as savvy as me (and I'm not all that savvy), I'd like to avoid any major changes to help him through the transition.

You are welcome!

Is there any reason I couldn't nix Mint and replace with Chrome on the Mintbox? My partner isn't as savvy as me (and I'm not all that savvy), I'd like to avoid any major changes to help him through the transition.

I think that would be pretty hard to do.. Mint is very easy to use though, even easier than Ubuntu in my opinion. If you don't like Mint you could always install Ubuntu instead. But Mint is a lightweight distro compared to Ubuntu.

RAM? This little sucker has.... I dunno 512MB? Not much.

Wow! When I looked up the specs of your laptop on HP's site, it said it came with 2GB and was expandable to 4GB.

...ah, a topic of familiarity.

Unfortunately, it's been getting quirky

Let me ask a question of you. When you're purchasing tools for the shop (hand, power, whatever), do you go out and buy the cheapest thing, or do you invest in quality -- something that you have confidence in to rely upon, and know that it'll perform properly everyday for years?

I'm guessing it's the latter. We're talking about your livelihood after-all, and you need not be hampered by equipment that isn't up to the task.

Unfortunately, the computers we utilize everyday aren't looked at in this same regard, but most certainly should be. A few points:

-Laptops are, IMHO, abysmal in this environment. The small screen real estate makes schematics/diagrams a pain to look at, serviceability stinks, and the compact nature simply is a hindrance to optimal performance unless you absolutely need portability.

-All in ones suffer from the same maladies. Everything stuffed into one chassis = unneeded complexity.

The best luck I've had is with old(er) servers/workstations. These are heavy-duty (and literally heavy!), desktop style units that are engineered to be ran 24/7/365 at full throttle. As such, components are top notch, serviceability is excellent, and with a couple modern add-ons (SSD and graphics card, along with a wireless card for your purposes), performance is absolutely excellent. Place some filtering material in the air openings to keep things clean internally, and worry about other things.

My Precision 490: http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/products/precn/precn_490_uk.pdf
4fQRg1y.png

Municipalities are getting rid of these, and they can be purchased for pennies on the dollar (or they're available on Amazon/Ebay). Whatever you decide, good luck.

I have a ratel from system76; top notch unit.

For that environment get a passively cooled unit. The death of a lot of PCs in a 'non office' environment is [censored] clogging the CPU fan. They might have a thermal protection, but do you really want to disassemble it in the middle of the work day?

FitPCs are passively cooled and have a FIVE YEAR warranty.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
...ah, a topic of familiarity.

Unfortunately, it's been getting quirky

Let me ask a question of you. When you're purchasing tools for the shop (hand, power, whatever), do you go out and buy the cheapest thing, or do you invest in quality -- something that you have confidence in to rely upon, and know that it'll perform properly everyday for years?

I'm guessing it's the latter. We're talking about your livelihood after-all, and you need not be hampered by equipment that isn't up to the task.

Unfortunately, the computers we utilize everyday aren't looked at in this same regard, but most certainly should be. A few points:

-Laptops are, IMHO, abysmal in this environment. The small screen real estate makes schematics/diagrams a pain to look at, serviceability stinks, and the compact nature simply is a hindrance to optimal performance unless you absolutely need portability.

-All in ones suffer from the same maladies. Everything stuffed into one chassis = unneeded complexity.

You're right- it sucks to use, but at the time it was what we had. We were just starting up and not looking to spend a pile of money. It was paid for and it worked... sorta. It had Vista on it. I quickly tired of waiting and waiting and waiting and fussing with anti everything needed to protect a Windows box. Going to Ubuntu gave it a new lease on life and kept us from spending money. We've been running now for a couple of years, so as we get our feet under us, it's time to upgrade some. Which is why I'm here- to ask the people who know better than I, what will suit us.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

The best luck I've had is with old(er) servers/workstations. These are heavy-duty (and literally heavy!), desktop style units that are engineered to be ran 24/7/365 at full throttle. As such, components are top notch, serviceability is excellent, and with a couple modern add-ons (SSD and graphics card, along with a wireless card for your purposes), performance is absolutely excellent. Place some filtering material in the air openings to keep things clean internally, and worry about other things. Municipalities are getting rid of these, and they can be purchased for pennies on the dollar (or they're available on Amazon/Ebay). Whatever you decide, good luck.

While I don't doubt that they work really well, space is at a premium as our "office" shares space with shelving, a dorm fridge and an air compressor. In the future we plan to add on a dedicated office, but for now, we're pretty tight on room. We could make a full size tower work, but it might get stuffed into a really dusty corner. I still haven't ruled it out though.

While I don't doubt that they work really well, space is at a premium as our "office" shares space with shelving, a dorm fridge and an air compressor. In the future we plan to add on a dedicated office, but for now, we're pretty tight on room. We could make a full size tower work, but it might get stuffed into a really dusty corner. I still haven't ruled it out though.

Even being in a "really dusty corner", I wouldn't have any qualms about it. The air intake is the lower half of the front, and it's really easy to put some filtering material in there to keep the case interior clean.

Did a little looking for you:
http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=6907&acctid=2863

If you can work out good pricing with the 3rd party shipping option they provide, that'd be a fantastic package (and huge upgrade over what you have now) with the aforementioned upgrades (SSD, GPU, Wireless Card).

I have a 20" box fan (menards or wal-mart $16 and have taped a high quality furnace filter to the intake side so it makes a good seal. Filter costs $7-25 with the 3M top end $25 20 x 20 filter the best. Laste 3 months, common size, often on sale, run on low speed 24/7, fan will last 2-3 years, really helps! On desktop use used panty hose strips, if you don't have any get from wife or girl friend, super glue over vents, peel off when dirty, whole room keeps clean between the two.
'

Really eyeing the Meerkat from System 76... But also have my eyes on the Mintbox. I really like that System 76 is assembled in Colorado- does anyone know COO on the Mintbox?

Quote:

CompuLab products are manufactured and tested in company’s own ISO9001:2008 certified facilities in Yokneam, Israel. Products are CE certified and RoHS compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back