difference 46 ISO versus 68 ISO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me the difference between these two classes.

Which one would be best for high temp service?

Thanks, Tom

Tom,
the viscosity of the 46 is 46cst at 40C, the viscosity of the 68 is 68cst at 40C.

at 100C, they are 6.5 and 8.5cst respectively.

If it's purely a hydraulic application, I don't think it will matter that much.

Thanks for the response.

I am having a problem that when my tractor gets hot, the hydraulic lift gets real slow. I have been told I need to use a better grade of fluid. I have been studying up on different oils and all the different specs mean nothing to me and then the lift works good when cold and get slow when hot, I guess maybe my pump is getting worn out.

Tom

This viscosity chart will help decipher the various ways viscosity is labeled.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

ISO is the most straightforward because it corresponds to the actual viscosity. SAE is the least straightforward because each "grade" is a range of viscosity and the numbers don't directly corespond to a viscosity measurement. Also, motor oil and gear oil use different numbering systems that correspond to the same viscosity, i.e SAE 80w gear oil is the same viscosity as SAE 20 motor oil.

Originally Posted By: gozapper
Thanks for the response.

I am having a problem that when my tractor gets hot, the hydraulic lift gets real slow. I have been told I need to use a better grade of fluid. I have been studying up on different oils and all the different specs mean nothing to me and then the lift works good when cold and get slow when hot, I guess maybe my pump is getting worn out.

Tom

Ahhh, any chance of getting a line pressure when it's doing that ?

It does sound like the pump internal leakage is too much when hot. If it's cylinder leakage, you'll have movement when in a stopped position.

68 might buy you some time, but will feed through spools slower when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back