Films that reflect America's essence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree as posted previously (aside from all the murdering and mayhem) that American Psycho summed up the '80s for the U.S. and Canada.

The way everyone dressed, made good money, well done.

When I was a small kid, I have to say Top Gun summed up the States in the Reagan years near the end of the Cold War.

I still remember camping near the Plattsburgh Airforce Base when they were running their night missions.

I'd pass small stores and the Grand Union and they'd have
PAFB #1 signs in the windows.

I remember the U.S. back then the people were very patriotic and friendly, and it was a very nice place to visit.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I tend to be offended by most movies and the people who make them.

Agree

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Koz1
[
LOL!!!!
You clearly dont Understand the Name of your Country.

Glad you do as it won't be long before we make you state 51.

Highly doubtful, that sounds like some of the unfortunately typical threatening/chest thumping that has resulted in Canadians being liked far more all over the world than Americans. Mexico would be closer to becoming the 51st state than Canada ever would. Heck, they even speak your second official language
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
IDIOCRACY

A closing piece might be Eisenhower's farewell address warning us about the MIC. Not a movie but very real and very relevant.
The question was about movies...never miss a chance, do ya.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Where is Idiocracy. I make reference to that movie daily whether is it news or people doing things in front of me.

Yup! LOL! Represents the North American "essence" we are seeing currently quite aptly
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
One of the Detroit News columnists put together a list of 10 films that "reflect America's essence". His list:

Patriot acts: Ten films that reflect America's essence

All the President's Men
Apollo 13
Born on the Fourth of July
Captain America: The First Avenger
Forrest Gump
McFarland, USA
Rocky
Saving Private Ryan
Selma
World Trade Center

Some are based on true stories. Some are based on real events, but fictional. Some are simply fiction.

This is only a list of ten, so it's pretty limited. There are so many more that could be added.

What's on your list?
Went to see Private Ryan in a theater with a good sound system. Mistake. I had to leave. The rattle of musketry was too accurate for someone with the T shirt.

To complicate things more, I am an American, but not a Murican. There use to be a term in the past: South America, but nowadays, there's only "Americas", to differentiate from America, Murica. But I've seen and like all those movies.
Ok, I'm a Verspucian then ...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Highly doubtful, that sounds like some of the unfortunately typical threatening/chest thumping that has resulted in Canadians being liked far more all over the world than Americans. Mexico would be closer to becoming the 51st state than Canada ever would. Heck, they even speak your second official language
wink.gif

We like you better, so you're 51 and mexico is 52.

And you're worried about being liked? People like golden retrievers too.

When a destabilized and mad Russia comes walking in, we'll discuss again.

wink.gif

Didn't say we were worried about being liked, just pointing out the fact that some of you guys (not all) could tone down the bravado a touch and this is reflected in how you are perceived, and subsequently treated, abroad.

With respect to Russia, they have to worry about Germany first. We in the GWN are far away and of little consequence to Putin. He'd be launching nukes your way far before he even considered lobbing something at beaver land.

I don't think there can be one film, or even ten, that reflect the essence of America. (We kind of have to use "America" as shorthand for "United States of America." Otherwise, in the possessive, we'd have to say "the United States's," and that would be much more awkward than saying "America's." Yeah, okay, we could say "the USA's," huh?)

As for the essence, we've had many very different time periods in our history, even in the lifespan of people living now. A film like "Gone With the Wind" might sum up the Civil War and its aftermath; "How the West Was Won," "High Noon," or "The Searchers" might reflect the frontier era. "Saving Private Ryan" or "Run Silent Run Deep" for the World War II era; "The Apartment" for the early Sixties; "All the President's Men" or "Saturday Night Fever" for the Seventies; and so on.

If you insist on one film for all of America? I suggest Ron Howard's "Apollo 13," or "The Spirit of St. Louis," with James Stewart, written and directed by Billy Wilder. Their essence: One man or a small group of men, going someplace to do something dangerous and daring that no one had done before, and that everybody had concluded was impossible.

I was also going to suggest "Idiocracy" as the film that comes closest to depicting the current population in the USA.

However, I withdraw my suggestion and instead suggest the "Atlas Shrugged series", as we are about there.

The United States is still chock-a-block full of capable individuals. It's just that they've been hammered-down a bit too much lately.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Brazilians are American, its nice to know your inclusive of all the Western Hemisphere.
But then those movies only represent the USA.

Brazilians are Brazilians...they live in "The Americas". If you don't understand the difference perhaps a class in geography would help you understand better. Check on coursera.org for free on line classes and you may find a geography class.

LOL!!!!
You clearly dont Understand the Name of your Country. Seriously Hilarious.
United States Of America.
United States is the name of your Country, LOL!!!!! Of America means your in the Americas LOL!!!

No, the formal name of the country is "United States of America", just as China is actually "The People's Republic of China", and Kazakhstan is "Republic of Kazakhstan". Our country's name is "America", we are constituted of 50 united states, and we are referred to as "American". I am a "United Statesian" just as much as a citizen of the People's Republic of China is a "People's Republican".

wink.gif

Didn't say we were worried about being liked, just pointing out the fact that some of you guys (not all) could tone down the bravado a touch and this is reflected in how you are perceived, and subsequently treated, abroad.

With respect to Russia, they have to worry about Germany first. We in the GWN are far away and of little consequence to Putin. He'd be launching nukes your way far before he even considered lobbing something at beaver land.

True. But they'll be flying over beaver land. And if any go off high enough, the EMP won't care about the border.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: Doog
Brazilians are American, its nice to know your inclusive of all the Western Hemisphere.
But then those movies only represent the USA.

Brazilians are Brazilians...they live in "The Americas". If you don't understand the difference perhaps a class in geography would help you understand better. Check on coursera.org for free on line classes and you may find a geography class.

LOL!!!!
You clearly dont Understand the Name of your Country. Seriously Hilarious.
United States Of America.
United States is the name of your Country, LOL!!!!! Of America means your in the Americas LOL!!!

No, the formal name of the country is "United States of America", just as China is actually "The People's Republic of China", and Kazakhstan is "Republic of Kazakhstan". Our country's name is "America", we are constituted of 50 united states, and we are referred to as "American". I am a "United Statesian" just as much as a citizen of the People's Republic of China is a "People's Republican".

OK, but China is part of a continent called Asia, not China. You are part of a continent called North America, which is one of the Americas, not quite the same thing. People from Asia are Asian, people from the Americas are American. Subsequently Canadians and Mexicans are "American". The same goes for Europe and things/people being "European".

China has always been China. Canada was upper/lower Canada before it was the entire landmass we are now. Confederation joined the provinces together as a country. Canada is the name of the country, not the continent. The confusion with the USA is that the continent the country occupies is of the Americas and unless it went by "America" as a country before the states were united, it is likely a continental reference.

An interesting topic though.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

wink.gif

True. But they'll be flying over beaver land. And if any go off high enough, the EMP won't care about the border.

Guess we'll be hoping they hit California, LOL!!!
grin.gif

Ok I have not been there yet...

But from what we can see here via TV (Oprah...Jerry Springer...even more "serious" shows on NGC and DC...)....and American turists here...

I would say...America....is...The big Lebowski (movie)
smile.gif

We in the GWN are far away and of little consequence to Putin.

Seriously? Don't sell yourself short. Putin's quite interested in the entirety of the "GWN", and Canada and the Nordic nations of Europe know it.

He'd be launching nukes your way far before he even considered lobbing something at beaver land.

If he launched them our way it would be of little consolation to you.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

The United States is still chock-a-block full of capable individuals. It's just that they've been hammered-down a bit too much lately.

+1

Originally Posted By: R80RS

We in the GWN are far away and of little consequence to Putin.

Seriously? Don't sell yourself short. Putin's quite interested in the entirety of the "GWN", and Canada and the Nordic nations of Europe know it.

He'd be launching nukes your way far before he even considered lobbing something at beaver land.

If he launched them our way it would be of little consolation to you.

Certainly, I'm not saying it would be "good news, they nuked the states not us!" time up here, simply that we would not be the likely target of aggression IMHO.

He's quite interested in the NWT and what that represents (and the soviets before him) but the rest of Canada, I doubt as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back