Should new cars burn oil? C-R report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. None of my 400,000km+ thrashed and thoroughly shagged out motors have ever burned enough to even warrant topping up between yearly changes (~12,000km or 7,500miles). I'm not sure I could stomach an engine that actually burns enough to need to be topped up between changes.

"you must use this special oil" prices that BMW/Porsche/Audi probably recommend must be high as well.....

I'm at 220k on my CR-V and it only uses about 1/2 quart MAX in a year's OCI. Pilot doesn't use any over 6k runs.

I have told my parents to watch their 2015 Forester.

The Chevy spark is the only domestic on a list of 30 vehicles that are the worst oil consumers according to this "report"

So these import buyers spend extra for something they see as better but in the end they pay more for everything.

I've got work vans with 500k on the odo,with the original gaskets(thanks liqui-moly motor oil saver) and consume no oil between changes.
Who says progress is actually progress.
Propaganda

My old 99 Camry has 120K on the clock and has never burned a drop of oil even while driven hard. My Sonata is coming up on 30k and doesn't use any oil either.

It looks like some automakers just don't care, most people lease their cars or trade them in after a few years so I guess they don't feel it's worth fixing the problem.

Not to mention the average driver almost never checks their oil level between changes, IMO 10% of people actually do.

Heh.... the #30 car on their "Thisty 30" oil burners list was the least expensive car on the ENTIRE list.

Everything else was more expensive (some are 3x and 4x the price of #30).

1) CR are, of course and as always, idiots.

2) Note that the "high consuming" engines tend to be european and performance-oriented. Nature of the beast- looser ring tensions for higher performance + heavier spec'd oils = higher consumption.

Adding a quart between changes shouldn't scare or worry anyone who is running a performance-oriented engine, older big-bore v8, etc. Know the engineering trade-offs before getting all worked up. An economy-oriented v6 that burns a quart between changes and only has a 4-quart sump is something worthy of a lot more worry than a performance-oriented engine with a 7+ quart sump.

There's plenty of Japanese and American performance oriented engines that don't burn oil.

I think it's just an excuse for mediocre engineering.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
1) CR are, of course and as always, idiots.

Great for puppies though.

My 6.1 has never used a visible amount between OCI's, even with track days and 300 degree temps.

Yet many of them are "users".

I blame easy break in...

1 quart per 1000 miles is outrageous in a new car. Performance oriented or not. Really, having to add any oil to a new car is pretty far out there. Maybe if I had a limited run, ultra high performance engine I'd say otherwise, but no run of the mill Subaru, Audi, or BMW should require top-ups.

“Oil consumption is normal on all engines,” BMW spokesman Hector Arellano-Belloc said in an e-mailed statement. “BMW vehicles have long intervals between oil changes (10,000 miles). BMW engines (excluding the BMW M) may consume up to one quart of engine oil per 750 miles under certain driving conditions.” He added that BMW’s M performance models may consume even more oil than that.

I concur that some oil consumption is normal...a quart per 750 miles...or more?!

Last edited:
CRM_Page_63_Thirsty_30_08-15.png

Originally Posted By: Clevy
The Chevy spark is the only domestic on a list of 30 vehicles that are the worst oil consumers according to this "report"

So these import buyers spend extra for something they see as better but in the end they pay more for everything.

I've got work vans with 500k on the odo,with the original gaskets(thanks liqui-moly motor oil saver) and consume no oil between changes.
Who says progress is actually progress.
Propaganda

If it were more American cars that burnt oil, I wonder how CR would have wrote the article.

I agree with that article. Working at several car dealerships, I was able to listen to the B_S stories the techs and service writers told customers who owned oil burners.Some were very creative, but you could see right through them, all it takes is a little common sense. I wouldn't accept a new car oil burner and I'm positive I could have it covered under warranty one way or another.

Darn, I guess I won't be buying that 2010 Panamera that I was eyeing!

The Audi/VW 2.0t was notorious for having ring issues in the first couple of model years, so no surprise that several are on the list.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar

I concur that some oil consumption is normal...a quart per 750 miles...or more?!

I could see a quart in 750 miles if you're running it FLAT OUT. I mean 100% power, and high-G turns really throwing the oil around in the sump... but not in anything less than that.

But a quart in 6000 miles? Who really cares about that? So you're down to the "add" mark when the OLM goes off?

Now granted, I've been utterly impressed that my 6.4 Hemi goes over 7000 miles and doesn't show measurable loss on the dipstick, no matter how I treat it. As does my 4.7, even when towing.xBut I still wouldn't really care if either of them used a quart per oil change, and I wouldn't bother adding any because they have 7-quart sumps. Even the pushing-200,000 miles 1999 4.0 only uses (and drips) half a quart per 6k. I'm not advocating sloppy engines, but all these people getting worked up about a quart per OCI are just off the edge. As is CR.

Again, using thinner oils, you exchange fuel burning, for more oil burning. That's not very smart, IMO. New car specs what? 0w20.

I feel bad for the German car industry. This report was probably final nail in the coffin for them. All those potential buyers of 5 and 7 series will be pushed towards Camry after they read this article.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
. I wouldn't accept a new car oil burner and I'm positive I could have it covered under warranty one way or another.

Blessing in disguise: If you burn at the rate of adding at least 3 quarts of oil between changes, then don't change your oil. Saves you that trouble! Only change the filter every 10k miles or so. Change your oil completely every 3 or 4 years to be sure though.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar

I could see a quart in 750 miles if you're running it FLAT OUT. I mean 100% power, and high-G turns really throwing the oil around in the sump... but not in anything less than that.

But a quart in 6000 miles? Who really cares about that? So you're down to the "add" mark when the OLM goes off?

Now granted, I've been utterly impressed that my 6.4 Hemi goes over 7000 miles and doesn't show measurable loss on the dipstick, no matter how I treat it. As does my 4.7, even when towing.xBut I still wouldn't really care if either of them used a quart per oil change, and I wouldn't bother adding any because they have 7-quart sumps. Even the pushing-200,000 miles 1999 4.0 only uses (and drips) half a quart per 6k. I'm not advocating sloppy engines, but all these people getting worked up about a quart per OCI are just off the edge. As is CR.

The "quart per OCI" argument is valid. I don't sweat that over 6-7k.
But the evidence of a quart per 750 miles is crazy! Who would put up with that around here?

It appears those who either purchase or lease these vehicles and may not be the few BITOG'ers actually paying attention to issues like this put up with it.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Again, using thinner oils, you exchange fuel burning, for more oil burning. That's not very smart, IMO. New car specs what? 0w20.

Look at that list again, you have it backwards. The engines that are reported as burning more oil are European, mostly specifying thicker oils. The thin-oil engines (US and Japan) aren't on the list for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back