Got mice in your mower? Try this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I worked on a riding mower that had a blown head gasket and no spark. Turns out a mouse had made a giant nest inside the cooling shroud which caused the engine to overheat and blow the gasket. It also chewed a bunch of wires for the ignition coil causing a no spark condition.

I've been doing this trick for years and figure I'd mention it:

I buy dryer sheets (the scented ones) and place them on top of the cooling shroud where the air intake is when the machine isn't in use. Mice hate the smell so they stay out of the equipment. I've known some antique car guys who use them in their cars as well to keep mice out of the interiors. Hope this helps someone!

Maybe I should store them near my washing machine; I have found a mouse in the drum on two separate occasions.

Now that I think of it, i hate the smell of them too; good tip, thanks.

Last edited:
I had a mouse nest get my mower so hot it dieseled! I cut off spark, and even knocked the plug wire loose. Still ran till it ran out of gas.

Lucky me though when it cooled down it was business as usual.

Had the presence of mind to run inside and get my cam-corder, dang ol...

This has been posted many times on BITOG about using dryer scented sheets to keep mice away. Maybe getting a cat since they naturally catch mice, so will a Jack Russell Terrier.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I had a mouse nest get my mower so hot it dieseled! I cut off spark, and even knocked the plug wire loose. Still ran till it ran out of gas.

Lucky me though when it cooled down it was business as usual.

Had the presence of mind to run inside and get my cam-corder, dang ol...

That's pretty impressive.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
If you filmed in the dark, I suspect you would see a healthy spark going to that plug.
smile.gif

I've had one or 2 do that . If you get a hot piece of carbon inside the combustion chamber it will ignite the fuel/air mix .

Speaking of mice , I had a 1958 Impala couple I had spent 3 years doing a restoration on and darned if a mouse didn't somehow get into the car and chew a couple small holes in the new headliner !! (I was some upset)
I suspect it came up the steering column , the rubber boot at the firewall had a small gab that I'm sure it could squeeze thru . I used mothballs after that . This was in the late 80's , I don't think the dryer sheets were out yet .

Last edited:
Dryer sheets didn't work against a red squirrel (I think) that kept building nests under the hood of both my cars.

I ended up using peppermint oil on cotton balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back