BEST DOT 4 BRAKE FLUID ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robb.
Whats the top 3 brake fluids on the "easy to get" market ?
I heard ATE, AP racing and Amosil ?

https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-fluid-comparison-chart.cfm

Are you plan to use DOT-4 in your Civic's ? Are you track one or all yours ?

For normal daily driving DOT-4 isn't needed. Most European cars recommends DOT-4 with 2 year change interval, most Japanese cars use DOT-3 with 3 years change interval, even the higher performance S2000 recommends DOT-3.

I use generic DOT-3 in my E430 for almost 10 years now without any problem, the braking distance is about the same, only better performance tire would yield a shorter braking distance in panic stop from 60-70 MPH, which is rarely happen(once a year, may be) if you pay attention to surrounding traffic when you drive.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: MCompact
I wish the US Safety Nazis hadn't outlawed Super Blue; when you alternated it with Type 200 it made it easy to tell when the fluid was changed out.

First of all, FMVSS 116 predates Super Blue by decades. The law was passed in 1972.

Second, the can said DOT 4 even though it didn't meet the standards (due to the color). Companies are NOT allowed to write "meets DOT 4 except for the color: or anything similar. If it doesn't meet the requirements, they CANNOT mention the standard on the container!

Had they just labeled it "For off-road use only" or "meets SAE J1703 and J1704 except for color" they would've been ok (the SAE is not a governmental organization).

non-silicone DOT 3/4/5.1 is easy to distinguish new from old because the old fluid is black while fresh fluid is clear. You really don't need the blue [censored] to tell when the old stuff was flushed out; besides, it stains everything anyway, defeating the purpose of the color-change. Even 2-3 flushes later with non-blue fluid, there's still some blue remaining!

DOT 5 silicone is purple, to quickly identify that it's different and NOT suitable for most brake systems.

Some don't play by the rules

Valvoline Dot 3

Originally Posted By: supercity

Some don't play by the rules

Valvoline Dot 3

Notice that "au" at the end of the url. I don't know Australia's motor vehicle laws, but they may not have a law analogous to FMVSS 116, which only carries legal force in the US (Canada copy-and-pasted our law, added a French translation, and called it CMVSS 116)

It's possible that Australia allows blue DOT 3 and green DOT 4. Looking at the other brake fluids on that page, they seem to offer two blue DOT 3's and two green DOT 4's. perhaps Australia requires DOT 3 to be blue and DOT 4 to be green. They also have a yellow brake fluid VR-1, but it's labeled not street legal, with no reference to any DOT standard at all. (Yellow is permissible in the US since it falls within the "colorless to amber" range)

They do not seem to have any fluid labeled as both DOT 3 and DOT 4, either.

Also, Valvoline/Ashland does not market that blue stuff in the US, AFAIK.

Thanks guys
My car is summer driven only...aggressive street driving on occasions.
Might try DOT 3 ATE.

Just an update - ended up buying Johnsen’s DOT 3 brake fluid for $6 a bottle. Good enough for daily summer driving.

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
brkbfcaspro-500x500.jpg

this is what we use at work. no issues so far.

Is that the new bottle, instead of the same fluid in the older, black cylindrical, bottle?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Olas
Aston Martin, Audi, Lamborghini, Mercedes and Porsche use Pagid Dot4 as their factory fill.
If its good enough For a Vanquish or an RS6 or a Mucielago or a GT3 RS it's good enough for anyone else. Cheap too!

http://www.eurocarparts.com/images/products/600x600/524770272.jpg

Again, not available here in the states.

Not true, not accurate, not correct.

Pagid is available from the Pagid distributor in the US

USA
BT Brake Technology of America
P.O. Box 152235
Cape Coral, FL 33915
Phone +1 239 540 1729
Fax +1 239 540 8539
Cell +1 239 281 8237
E-mail: [email protected]
www.pagidracing.com

Do some research before you go making ill informed and inaccurate comments.

brkbfcaspro-500x500.jpg

Is that the new bottle, instead of the same fluid in the older, black cylindrical, bottle?

All the brake fluid we bought and used for the last 2 years were in these bottles. Prior to that I worked somewhere else, and we used a different brand.

brkbfcaspro-500x500.jpg

All the brake fluid we bought and used for the last 2 years were in these bottles. Prior to that I worked somewhere else, and we used a different brand.

I guess they are making that the new 'corporate' brake fluid bottle, as even their top drawer/premo/'liquid gold' React SRF is now in that shape bottle, whereas it used to be sold in a metal can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back