Which oil for '14 Cadillac CTS Vsport Twin Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a '14 Cadillac CTS Vsport sedan 3.6l Twin Turbo LF3...specs say
use a Dexos1 5w-30 synthetic, my concerns:

Turbo coking
Heat
Shearing out of grade

I used PP 5w-30 with my prior '05 STS Northstar and it performed well. This car will be
driven much harder. (grin factor) Would a 0w-40 be appropriate due to the high heat of turbos and Alabama summers or should I just stop over thinking it and go with GMs specs?

I'd like something with Trinuclear Moly, Dexos1 specs moly I believe.

What's are my choices and differences ?

Thank you for your time and expertise.

dexos1 does not spec moly, or any other specific additive. dexos1 is just physical parameters and performance specs run in actual engines, wear, deposits, foaming, etc.

Best I think is the Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30, 5 quart jugs on walmart.com available for cheaper than usual. Pennzoil uses trinuclear moly as far as I have read, from Infineum.

Some folks on BITOG would say that because of CAFE, your engine won't be safe with whatever may be listed in your owner's manual. However,

I'd use the top-shelf Pennzoil offering, but surely top-shelf Kendall, or Castrol, or Mobil products or any other premium Dexos 1 offerings would be just as awesome.

Congrats on the awesome car!

Any Dexos-1 5W-30 will be just fine, they are good oils.

My buddy has a 07 'Vette that gets driven hard on annual changes of M1 5W-30, and no problems.

Don't over-think it, despite being here!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Any Dexos-1 5W-30 will be just fine, they are good oils.

My buddy has a 07 'Vette that gets driven hard on annual changes of M1 5W-30, and no problems.

Don't over-think it, despite being here!

For this turbo application, go for the synthetics that are not only dexos1, but also HTO-06, like Pennz Ultra 5w-30. Some dexos1 oils are better than others. Pennzoil claims Ultra leaves fewer piston deposits than Mobil1 according to standard tests.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Some folks on BITOG would say that because of CAFE, your engine won't be safe with whatever may be listed in your owner's manual.

33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
For this turbo application, go for the synthetics that are not only dexos1, but also HTO-06, like Pennz Ultra 5w-30. Some dexos1 oils are better than others. Pennzoil claims Ultra leaves fewer piston deposits than Mobil1 according to standard tests.

I really really like that advice.

Nice work.

What about NOACK...would it be better for this DI turbo engine to lean towards
Ultra 10w-30 vs. 5w-30 for better NOACK ?

Low temp starts and mpg aren't a factor...occasional track day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Think about Mobil 1 0w40 oil since you are going to the track with it

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Get the oil warm before you put your foot in it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: WANG
Some folks on BITOG would say that because of CAFE, your engine won't be safe with whatever may be listed in your owner's manual.

33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

I know, I know, absolutely could not help it, Shannow!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Majsmith
Warranty isn't really a factor either...engine and transmission tune.

450rwhp

All kidding aside, tuned to that level with the occaisional trackday, and no warranty consideration, I might be inclined to look at Redline. Their 5w30 has excellent NOACK number (6!) and the 5w30 has more robust HTHS than most other 5w30s.

Track time... Well, fully agree with M1 0w-40 or any big name-brand 0w-40 out there, take your pick, Castrol, Motul, Pennzoil, Amsoil, all good for hard use. RedLine is a POE, might be special enough to work well. Hard choice, OK I say RedLine 0w-30 here, a 30 in a POE.

Last edited:
M1 hm 10w30 is option as well. About as thick as you can get in grade, boosted add pack, and cheap & easy to find.

Thanks for all your help folks...I was initially thinking of Mobil1 0w-40 so that will probably be my go to, but I do like the Redline oil also...used it in a previous Lincoln LS.

What about the Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40...not as good volatility or add pack ?

Originally Posted By: Majsmith
Thanks for all your help folks...I was initially thinking of Mobil1 0w-40 so that will probably be my go to, but I do like the Redline oil also...used it in a previous Lincoln LS.

What about the Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40...not as good volatility or add pack ?

GM uses M1 0w-40 in their Corvette race program. That's pretty much a big lit up sign to me as to how good they feel that oil is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back