GSX-R600 Oil Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella T6 5w-40 shears in this bike, this UOA was after mostly hwy miles and not many high rpm runs.

image%201.jpg

A few options I have available:

Motomaster Formula 1 10W-40, apparently made by Shell according to the MSDS, is JASO MA http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motoma...ml#.VX9N6flViko

Suzuki 10W-40, allegedly bottled by Shell, expensive at my dealer.

Shell Rotella 15w-40, apparently a pretty good bike oil with much better shear stability than the synthetic T6 5w-40.

Lucas Motorcycle oil, synthetic and conventional. A friend of mine gets this sponsored and I probably could get it very cheap to free. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lucas-synthetic-motorcycle-oil-946-ml-0281834p.html#.VX9ONvlViko

I hate paying close to $20 for a quart of oil that I suspect is just regular oil in a "motorcycle" bottle.

Rotella T6 did not hold up well in my Goldwing after 10k. Amsoil has been the best, with Mobil 1 4T coming in second. Supposedly Repsol synthetic is holds up well in high rpm Sportbikes. My current fill, and favorite in my circle of friends is Alisyn Pro Drive 21. They're using it in their bikes, boats, and high powered sport cars as well.

No Amsoil easily available in my area. Price with shipping is pretty high.

But I just found Mobil 1 MX 4T at Walmart, $15.99 a quart. I think this is my first choice for the next change.

When I had my R6 I ran Rotella 15/40, it would last for 3k to 3.5k miles. It was much better in my bike than the T6.

No, the T6 is not that high on Z or P. 1500+ PPM. I have not seen it in the states that high, in other countrys Shell might have a different add package.

ROD

MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

You might want to read 540 test data of 151 different oils and how
they rank against wear... number 4 on the list is $25 a quart 5W30
Motul 300V Ester Core 4T motorcycle specific oil... number 10 on
the list is $5.60 a quart 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN synthetic car oil...
ranked number 121. 5W40 SHELL ROTELLA T6 Diesel Oil, synthetic, API CJ-4,

mobil1.gif

Last edited:
Any 5w/40 oil will shear quickly in your bike.

Just about any 10/40 will be 50% better then the 5/40 when it comes to shear.

Most 15w/40 oils will beat out any other oil, above, in the shear dept. Except 20/40.

So yes, if you change regularly and on time the Rotella 15/40 is a solid choice.

(disclaimer- the above numbers are rough numbers for those who want to trash this post)
General rule, a 5w oil will shear faster then a 10w, then a 15w a then a 20w ect ... ect...
More or less, the lower the first number, as a general rule (without splitting hairs here) the lower number will shear faster.

Last edited:
in RRaiders gsxr1000 we have proven many times what oil to run or not run....at a race track no less.

before you even poured in the 5w40 i could have told you how long it would last. it is a great oil for a turbo diesel but not a shared sump gixxer

That Suzuki 10w40 (it was in a white bottle last time I bought it many years ago) is hot garbage, and expensive. Bad combination of characteristics. I would lean toward the Rotella 15w40, personally, but that MX4T would surely serve you well. I used a fair bit of M1 bike oil when it was the "Triumph recommends:xxxx" oil and never had any complaints.

Shared sump motorcycles are interesting in that from brand to brand and mile to mile there is most definately a difference in feel. That is actually how white bottle Suzuki oil ended up in my "do not use" column. Several oil changes into the service life of my old Katana 600, I was feeling bucks up and sprang for some Golden Spectro. That was a revelation for me in clutch and gearbox feel coming from the Suzuki oil, even comparing fresh fill to fresh fill. That completely changed my perception on all motor oils forever. Before that I was an "oil is oil" kind of guy, so long as it was the correct type/vis.
It always gives me a bit of a chuckle when people perceive a difference in feel in automotive applications.

I see no value added in using a viscosity that is not recommended by the manufacturer. Typically there is a range of acceptable viscosities for a given ambient temperature range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

mobil1.gif

I have a simple mind so...for that test my mind would need to know what the average operational PSI load of motorcycle engines & their shared sumps. My simple mind would say that if motorcycle engines & trans run @50,000 PSI or less then all oils are equal in preventing wear according to that test..??

Anyone know the PSI load ratings on engines & trans ?

A simple mind is a terrible thing to waste, please help ease my mind...thanks

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

mobil1.gif

I have a simple mind so...for that test my mind would need to know what the average operational PSI load of motorcycle engines & their shared sumps. My simple mind would say that if motorcycle engines & trans run @50,000 PSI or less then all oils are equal in preventing wear according to that test..??

A simple mind is a terrible thing to waste, please help ease my mind...thanks

So, if I wear a belt AND suspenders, what is my margin of safety?

[/quote]

A simple mind is a terrible thing to waste, please help ease my mind...thanks [/quote]

Best statement in here!
The Crank Bearings/bearings in general operate at a MUCH lower 10,000 PSI.

So whether an oil can carry a load at 110,000 or 85,000 should not matter much.
Yet we all need something to measure against and keep in mind as oil heats it loses some of its load carrying capability but not close to 10,000 PSI.
Anyway, I think there are way more important things to worry about then the load capacity in oil.

Here is my source .... Scroll down to "Engine Bearing Materials"

Last edited:
20w50 is a loser baby...

50 weights are a drag...

It will cost you 6 RWHP...

It will raise your temp...

It will flow less oil to your critical bearings...

But your paper work will be out standing...

5W30 is a winner baby...

30 weights aren't a drag...

It will raise RWHP by 6...

It will lower your temps

It will flow more oil to your critical bearings...

and your paper will be just as outstanding...

Amsoil 10w30 v Mobil 1 0w30 track speeds...
Mr.RC45UAO58K_zpspzoymbiu.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back