Craftsman Eager 1 Carb Cleaning..

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bolt that holds the bowl on has a small passage in it, then spray carb cleaner through everything,
Does it pop with starter fluid?

Last edited:
That Sears link crashes my browser. What's the Craftsman model number of the mower?

I'll try to pull the diagram up on PartsTree.

That carb doesn't ever get clean. Don't know what passage gets clogged or is warped and stops working, but it's one that you just replace. I realize 50 percent of the people on this forum say to replace carburetors every time one is dirty, but this is really, really one that you just replace with a new one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
I realize 50 percent of the people on this forum say to replace carburetors every time one is dirty

really? the only time i have heard that is when a trimmer or chainsaw carb get clogged they are $15 shipped on ebay.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I realize 50 percent of the people on this forum say to replace carburetors every time one is dirty

really? the only time i have heard that is when a trimmer or chainsaw carb get clogged they are $15 shipped on ebay.

If the carb is under $30, $40 or so, just replace it. My time is worth more than an hour or two of cleaning and reassembly that may or may not work.

$100 carb or more, definitely try and clean it and put a carb kit in it.

There's a chance that the passages behind the welch plug are blocked; doesn't happen often, but if it does, the carb won't meter correctly even after everything else is clean.

I messed up with my advice. Usually, you just buy the plastic bowl replacement, but that EBay deal is hard to pass up. Sorry for sounding judgy. There are many posts blindly saying to replace weed whacker, blower, chain saw carbs. Also, many times when a Honda problem comes up, a new carb is suggested without offering hardly any other advice. Speaking of carburetors, I'm working on a Weed Eater Zama carb that I can't get to work. It doesn't even get gas to the plug. When I prime it, it circulates gas from the tank through the carb and back into the tank like it's supposed to. I've watched twenty videos on "how to clean a weed whacker carb", but the meat a potatoes is just glanced over with "make sure all the passages are clear". I wish someone could tell me where the "secret" passage is on this C1U-W18 carb from the Weed Eater I'm working on. I'm severely tempted to order one even though I don't sell weed whackers I pick up...I get them running and give them away. The carb, by the way, is now soaking in "burn your skin off your hands" stuff from O'Reilly's.

That carb doesn't ever get clean. Don't know what passage gets clogged or is warped and stops working, but it's one that you just replace. I realize 50 percent of the people on this forum say to replace carburetors every time one is dirty, but this is really, really one that you just replace with a new one.

Since I didn't get to many responses last night...I had to put my thinking cap on. So I looked at the diagram that I posted and found the fuel jet is behind the bowl drain screw so that's what I'm taking out and cleaning next. I already cleaned out the nozzle but am wondering if gets installed a certain way since it has tiny holes in it like a jet?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I already cleaned out the nozzle but am wondering if gets installed a certain way since it has tiny holes in it like a jet?

Those holes are there to let air into the tube in order to emulsify the fuel; hence the name "Emulsion Tube." If you were to put holes into your soda straw, all of a sudden you'd have an emulsion tube for your soda.

The holes can be pointed in any direction; just make sure the o-ring is well seated.

I like to put a little bit of engine oil on the o-rings before forcing them into a bore.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
So I looked at the diagram that I posted and found the fuel jet is behind the bowl drain screw so that's what I'm taking out and cleaning next. I already cleaned out the nozzle but am wondering if gets installed a certain way since it has tiny holes in it like a jet?

Waiting for the post a week from now stating it still is not running right and you keep taking it apart and you can't quite figure it out. All while you spend hours and hours cleaning it and putting it back together.

head-in-sand.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back