Shell V-Power NiTRO+

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say has 3 benefit :

1) Gunk

2) Wear

3) Corrosion

Are the same benefits that I have conditioning the gas with MMO+Interceptor with 87 Gas.

Plus I have better combustion.

Last edited:
So, burning a home brewed mixture of oil in a gasoline engine has more benefits than using a top tier, high detergent gasoline, with no ethanol and higher octane.

Call me unconvinced.

Originally Posted By: Danno
So, burning a home brewed mixture of oil in a gasoline engine has more benefits than using a top tier, high detergent gasoline, with no ethanol and higher octane.

Call me unconvinced.

Yeah, call me the same. Usually when the benefits are listed they are either vague or unmeasurable, with no supporting evidence.

I mean, I've driven cars to very high mileage and advanced age for all my driving life, and despite not using anything in the gas I still don't experience rough idle, fuel pump failures, abnormal wear, the horrors of unlubricated upper cylinders (whatever that really means), worn-out injectors or any of the supposed consequences of not using it. The OP states he gets "better combustion". Just how do you measure that?

To be fair I did once buy some Techron when I had a rough idle in my BMW, but that turned out to be a bad coil.

Just because you have used something and experienced no problems does not mean it is preventing them.

If I am not badly mistaken all 3 grades of Shell Gasoline contain the same amount of cleaners and all 3 grades are rated Top Tier. All three grades here contain Ethanol but noticed on a trip up north to Wisconsin that only 87 and 89 octane contain Ethanol.

I too think you are spot on with all three grades have the exact same fuel system treatments. Now the 93 usually has ethanol too though in many markets. I've heard there are some that don't though
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I too think you are spot on with all three grades have the exact same fuel system treatments. Now the 93 usually has ethanol too though in many markets. I've heard there are some that don't though
smile.gif

I've always seen advertising that says all three grades are the same.

As for ethanol content in the various grades, that is highly regional. Here in southeastern Wisconsin it is required that all gasoline sold in certain counties to be RFG, which in practical terms means ethanol (except for marine fuel). Get out of these counties of Wisconsin and the rules change, as they do for other states. There was a thread here recently on BITOG about it - basically the rules are all over the map.

There was a study of detergent levels in various gasolines posted here some time ago showing that the V-Power actually had significantly higher levels of detergent than Bronze or Gold. And usually, gasoline companies do market their fuels as such.

The 91 octane Shell sold here has no ethanol. All gasoline with ethanol sold in our state must have that information prominently displayed on the pump.

I've always been under the impression that their 93 octane (or whatever octane you have in your area) V-Power had much more additive than mid grade or regular.

Now, concerning the V-Power Nitro+, do you think that this gas is too good to put in any extra additives such as TCW3 or a FSC? I feel like there's got to be a point where too much of a good thing isn't!

I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns, plus a point where it's not a good idea (i.e. a whole tank of cleaner and no fuel would be an example), but I don't think one would be at the point where tossing in a bottle of SI-1 into the new V-Power would start making it "less" of a fuel and "more" of a cleaning fluid.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Call me unconvinced.

Yeah, call me the same. Usually when the benefits are listed they are either vague or unmeasurable, with no supporting evidence.

I mean, I've driven cars to very high mileage and advanced age for all my driving life, and despite not using anything in the gas I still don't experience rough idle, fuel pump failures, abnormal wear, the horrors of unlubricated upper cylinders (whatever that really means), worn-out injectors or any of the supposed consequences of not using it. The OP states he gets "better combustion". Just how do you measure that?

To be fair I did once buy some Techron when I had a rough idle in my BMW, but that turned out to be a bad coil.

Just because you have used something and experienced no problems does not mean it is preventing them.

But, but, kerosene dyed red in the gas or oil is a miracle worker
smile.gif

Call me unconvinced.

I did not say that gasoline with 10% of [censored] is better than top tier gasoline

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Do your O2 sensors both send smiley faces to the ECM with your homebrew?

Guess what do you think ?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Call me unconvinced.

Makes sense what you say, but I have some proof that makes me think that I have better combustion.

First of all the black carbon deposit on the exhausting pipe has gone, look yours on the BMW, most of BMW that I see have lots of carbon deposit on the exhausting pipe.

Depends on the "benefit" you seek. The Walbro fuel pump in my Bug is excruciatingly loud. Adding 4oz of MMO per tank takes the edge off.

I tried 2T oil but it didn't do a thing for the noise and made a lot of soot in my tailpipe.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
If I am not badly mistaken all 3 grades of Shell Gasoline contain the same amount of cleaners and all 3 grades are rated Top Tier. All three grades here contain Ethanol but noticed on a trip up north to Wisconsin that only 87 and 89 octane contain Ethanol.

That's what I thought too, but maybe I'm wrong.

From the FAQ:

"7. What makes Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline different than other Shell grades?

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System and cleans up faster than Shell regular. In fact, Shell V-Power now contains seven times the amount of cleaning agents required by federal standards. The new Shell V-Power NiTRO+ formulation contains an innovative combination of two key cleaning agents that work together in harmony to provide the BEST TOTAL engine protection you can get. It provides unbeatable protection against gunk and corrosion, and superior protection against wear."

http://www.shell.us/products-services/shell-for-motorists/fuels/vpower/faq.html

robert

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns, plus a point where it's not a good idea (i.e. a whole tank of cleaner and no fuel would be an example), but I don't think one would be at the point where tossing in a bottle of SI-1 into the new V-Power would start making it "less" of a fuel and "more" of a cleaning fluid.

Diminishing returns yes. Diminishing fuel, no. You're underestimating the magnitude of dilution of additives and how powerful they can be if you think it will become less of a fuel.

For a real life example of the power of chemicals.
Think of it this way, say you take 10L of water (which is ~2.5gallons): about a kitchen sink's worth.
You can add just 1 ml (1 big drop of dawn dish soap and it changes the way the whole water acts and you get suds and can clean dishes now. Yet percentage wise the water is still 99.99% water.

If you add 7 big drops of dawn, then you still are 99.93% water, even though you're 7x concentrated from the first example.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: Garak

Diminishing returns yes. Diminishing fuel, no. You're underestimating the magnitude of dilution of additives and how powerful they can be if you think it will become less of a fuel.

For a real life example of the power of chemicals.
Think of it this way, say you take 10L of water (which is ~2.5gallons): about a kitchen sink's worth.
You can add just 1 ml (1 big drop of dawn dish soap and it changes the way the whole water acts and you get suds and can clean dishes now. Yet percentage wise the water is still 99.99% water.

If you add 7 big drops of dawn, then you still are 99.93% water, even though you're 7x concentrated from the first example.

A standard dilution of a fuel additive at the loading rack is maybe 1:1200. I saw a listing of one somewhere. Even then, the majority of the additive package is a carrier solvent that probably substitutes as a fuel to some degree. The detergent component itself might not even affect the properties of the fuel by much. Modern EFI adjusts pretty well to different conditions.

As far as that dishwashing detergent goes, most of it is also water. There's very little active ingredient at all, but of course enough for it to be useful for its intended purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back