Kohler Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need the part number off the old filter...

However, the vast majority of lawn tractors over 17 horsepower use a Fram 3614 or equivalent...

If the filter is not under hood, and there is room, a Fram 3600 is a third longer...

I am running an STP S3600 on my Craftsman LT2000...
Cost was $1.99 verses $10+ for the Kohler filter...

Last edited:
My mower takes 56 ounces of oil with the standard filter...

With the oversized STP S3600 (Fram 3600),
it takes 8 ounces more, 64 exactly.
Two quarts, one 10W-30, one 5W-30, NAPA full synthetic...

The majority of Kohler and Briggs filters are e-cores,
You can put a nice NAPA Gold, Wix, Fram Ultra, Purolator PureOne or Synthetic
on for the same price...

Do a search for the automotive equivalent. I can't understand anyone paying > $10 for a filter to protect a $5-8 hundred dollar engine, when you can pay $5-7 for a filter to protect an engine that costs at least 10X as much to replace.

if that filter sits vertical, you must prefill it per kohler instructions. The oil pump is very small, and letting it self fill takes too long, hard on bearings.

I use the kohler filter, from my dealer it is $8.00, less than big box stores. They see I come in for parts on their screen, and I get a 10% discount. They have blades, deck wheels, and spindle parts in stock. They always get me what I need.

Rod

Another vote for the Motorcraft FL-910. About 4.00 at WM. That filter and 30 weight Delo is all my Kohler has ever seen after the first 3 hours on the FF.

Originally Posted By: Robbie
I have a Husqvarna YTH24v48 mower with a 24HP Kohler, will a wix 51348 or 51056 work on this engine?

Given it's 24hp, I'm assuming this is a Kohler V-twin? That being the case, the equivalent to a Motorcraft FL400. About double the length of the OEM size, gives you some more oil holding capacity.

I've been using NAPA's version of that Wix on my tractor that calls for Kohler's 52-050-02s filter for about 10 years now. It's been fine. The couple I've cut open haven't shown any failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back