High Mileage Expedition - what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Expedition 5.4 with 255K miles. I change the oil every 5K at quick lube places. Should i be using synthetic, high mileage, blend, natural or what. What about additives?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay Dino at that interval. Unless you have leaky seals or to much blow by them do a high mileage. At 5k intervals a store brand semi synthetic HM oil is good
mazxlife or penz qs defy pr mobile 1 cam extend your oci.

Last edited:
Since you aren't changing it yourself, just stick with the conventional oil. Those shops make a killing on the other oils charging premiums even though they are only worth a very little bit more.

I have a 2004 Expedition 5.4 4x4 with 199K and have always used 5w20 conventional dino oil whatever is on sale at Walmart....Havoline, Mobil5000, Motorcraft, etc. and have zero oil leaks. I would stay with what seems to have been working well at 5000 miles OCI's.

Just change it whens its oci is due. With mileage like that you could opt for pennzoil hm 5w20 or pennzoil 5w30 yellow bottle. At that mileage shocks might be your big concern.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Just change it whens its oci is due. With mileage like that you could opt for pennzoil hm 5w20 or pennzoil 5w30 yellow bottle. At that mileage shocks might be your big concern.

Shocks? What kind of shocks?

Originally Posted By: ArtVandelay
I have a 2004 Expedition 5.4 with 255K miles. I change the oil every 5K at quick lube places. Should i be using synthetic, high mileage, blend, natural or what. What about additives?

Nice username. Are you in the latex business??
crackmeup2.gif

What weight of oil are you using now? I want to say these were spec'd for 5w20. Sounds like you could keep doing what youre doing, but if you want to take over on the service, a HM oil sounds like a good idea at that mileage regardless of it leaking or not. Pennzoil HM, Quaker State Defy or Valvoline Maxlife would all be good choices. Mobil 1 HM is also a good choice if youre wanting to give synthetic a run and perhaps bump it up to 7500-10,000 intervals. The engine has a 7 quart sump IIRC so it shouldnt have an issue with that interval.

If you aren't burning or leaking any oil I'd stick with what you're doing. Nothing wrong with your current method at all. If you are using or leaking oil then a HM oil would be an alternative. I'd recommend QS Defy 10W-30.

Side note: One good thing about modern engines is that many of them now accumulate well over 200K miles before anything starts leaking or oil starts burning. If you have the Triton 2V 5.4, you'll likely never have an engine issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Red91
If you have the Triton 2V 5.4, you'll likely never have an engine issue.

Bingo. Coincidentally I just posted about the Modular Ford V8s in another thread a bit ago...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...gh_#Post3755485

Nonetheless, IIRC, 2004 was the first year of the 3V version. But I think what I said in my post (as per the link above) still covers both the 2V and 3V 5.4L Tritons, because Ford themselves made a [lazy] TSB for some of the early 3V 5.4L engines - many would tick so loud it sound like a diesel, so the TSB said to use 10w-40 to quiet them down. I don't remember what the cause was of the ticking, but whatever the reason, Ford wouldn't say to use 10w-40 if they thought it'd hurt the engine.

---

Originally Posted By: ArtVandelay

As you'll see via my link above, it depends on whether you're burning/leaking a significant amount or not. If you aren't, then I wouldn't worry about changing what you're already doing. If you are, then switch to a HM 5w-30. Doesn't really matter if you pick dino, blend, or syn, any HM oil should do your Triton just fine.

Now, some may look to my signature and ask how I can be so non-brand loyal (and/or why I'm not recommending RP HMX). Reason is: I'm just using the RP HMX because I wanted to give it a try. Just because. Yeah, it costs more, but it's my hobby being a gearhead oilnut. I know that my truck would be fine running pretty much any oil 0w/5w/10w - 20/30/40, but at the same time, I'd rather be slightly consistent and keep using 5w-30. And, I'm using an HM oil because she burns a little bit. So far with RP HMX, my butt-dyno is telling, just as I figured it would, that I've never noticed any difference in power using different oils. And my gas mileage, when I'm not lead footed, tends to always be basically exactly what the window sticker said it'd be, although I do think my K&N CAI may have raised the average up another MPG.

My username ain't Triton for no reason, hehe.

~ Triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back