Another 2003 Nissan Xterra 3.3 oil thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zach1900
My 1990's Maxima 3.0 V6 made 200 HP if I recall. That car was literally bullet proof in every regard.

1988-94 Maximas made 160 HP with a 3.0 version of the engine used in the Xterra the OP has.
Some early 90's Maximas had a rare VE30E making 190hp
95-99 Maximas had a VQ30 making 190hp

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Your nissan sentra wasn't a 170hp v6 toting a 4600lb 4x4 around?

A V6 making only 170hp?

This engine was designed in the early 80's. Not a power house, but very reliable. It was on par with other SUV's in the late 90's, and early 2000's as far as HP went.

I had a V6 that made 150 HP.

The 3.0 V6 in the Hardbodies is super underpowered from what I understand.

Still powerful enough to burn up transmissions!

All oils fix the tick. Only the sy thetics lasted longer than 3k miles before the engine rattle at start up occurred again.

This motor has 145k miles and ZERO blowby. You can open the oil filler cap with it running and you will only feel a light flutter of reverse/positive pressure as the pistons move...and even then only if your fingertips are damp.

I have no problem with rotella, I can just get delo cheaper.

Can a fram ultra last through three 3300 mile oil changes? I can't justify synthetic on this motor when all the extremely sheer stable ones that have been tried get beat to death before 5k miles.

I
All oils fix the tick. Only the sy thetics lasted longer than 3k miles before the engine rattle at start up occurred again.

This motor has 145k miles and ZERO blowby. You can open the oil filler cap with it running and you will only feel a light flutter of reverse/positive pressure as the pistons move...and even then only if your fingertips are damp.

I have no problem with rotella, I can just get delo cheaper.

Can a fram ultra last through three 3300 mile oil changes? I can't justify synthetic on this motor when all the extremely sheer stable ones that have been tried get beat to death before 5k miles.

Ultra is rated to 15,000 so it will be fine. I had a 00 frontier fully loaded 4x4 with same motor bought it new had 4.5 years loved the truck great off road but not a powerhouse but could hang with all others in its class. Buddy had a 00 ranger with 4.0 and we used to race all the time I'd always get him by half a car. Wish I could've kept it but ended upgrading. Alway did 3-4k oil changes never had a tick used castrol gtx 10w 30 had 56,xxx on it when traded. It was a beast off-road
Unrelated but my buddy's ranger spun a bearing at 87k knocked like [censored]. He filled it full of Lucas quieted it down and traded it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tratman2000

Ultra is rated to 15,000 so it will be fine.

If anyone wants to pay for an oil analysis of pennzoil ultra at 6k, I'll bet it is completely beat to death by then.

Originally Posted By: deven
A V6 making only 170hp?

2.4L 4 bangers used to struggle to get 140hp, now they are pushing 190. welcome to progress.

If anyone wants to pay for an oil analysis of pennzoil ultra at 6k, I'll bet it is completely beat to death by then.

Talking about a filter not oil. Op asked a question about a filter.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I had a V6 that made 150 HP.

The 3.0 V6 in the Hardbodies is super underpowered from what I understand.

Still powerful enough to burn up transmissions!

Nope this is way off. The VG30 was a very good match for the Hardbody. I drive one every day, and it's very light on its feet, and snappy. Maybe the Hardbody 4x4's running 35 inch tires with no gear swaps are under powered.

I recommend running a straight grade (or rather, monograde) oil as others have mentioned previously.

You can order 6 quarts of SAE 30 for $18.00 or SAE 40 for $18.80 and free shipping from Amazon. They're Mag 1 oils, and SN rated.

SAE 30: http://www.amazon.com/Mag-61646-6PK-SAE-30-API/dp/B00B2JCJC0

SAE 40: http://www.amazon.com/Mag-63200-6PK-SAE-40-API/dp/B00B2JCJE8

I'd say the SAE 30 should last you 6k or more, and I'd say the SAE 40 could take you to 7.5k.

~ Triton

P.S. I'm also in favor of using the Ultra for two OCI's, when your OCI is so short.

P.P.S. Mag 1 is made by Warren Performance Products. Same ones who make Peak, Accel, and sometimes ST. Mag 1 is their flagship brand.

Last edited:

Talking about a filter not oil. Op asked a question about a filter.

My apologies.

Thpught you were another idiot preaching the durability of a 0w20.

Turns out I'm an idiot who forgot what filter I'm running.

I actually still have about 60 gallons of straight 30 rotella in the shop... Might be timw to run through it.

Just a FYI
That's not blowby your feeling, that's the normal variation of cranckcase volume. Its especially strong on 4 cyls new or old, Good ring seal or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back