New FL1A filter disection, with date codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the Purolator filter issues going on, I decided to take a look at some of my inventory, I selected three filters, and one had the wide filter pleat issue. The dates from left to right on the filters are 03-09-2015, 04-23-2014, 02-10-2014. It appears that sometime between 02/10/2104 and 04/23/2014 the pleat issue was addressed and corrected.

20150603_210800%20Medium_zpshgpe6wat.jpg

Quote:
It appears that sometime between 02/10/2104 and 04/23/2014 the pleat issue was addressed and corrected.

Correction: "The filters I dissected from these dates seem to not have those issues".

A sample size of one each is hardly conclusive.

I will check on the pleat count when I get home. This is a huge concern for me, I build engines as a hobby for the local guys and the FL1A has been the go to filter... I'm thinking of switching to Donaldson until it is confirmed that the Purolator situation has been corrected.

Motorcrafts have exhibited far less of the issue than Puro branded filters, and I don't remember a single FL-1A posted that was torn but I am just going by memory. I'd say you are good, though the spacing on that filter above is not impressive.

I checked the pleat count, they are not the same, I was a little surprised at that, and counted several times to make sure I wasn't wrong.

20150604_210627%20Medium_zpslsa6porg.jpg

Originally Posted By: Noey
Quote:
It appears that sometime between 02/10/2104 and 04/23/2014 the pleat issue was addressed and corrected.

Correction: "The filters I dissected from these dates seem to not have those issues".

A sample size of one each is hardly conclusive.

You could say the same thing about the tear reports on here . . .

^^^ Well over 60 reported tears is hardly a "sample of one".

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Absolutely agreed.

But without knowing the total numbers produced you have no real idea of the failure rate. We're all just guessing.

I am amazed at the numbers reported just here though, it really is a poor advertisement for quality!

Appears MC filters AREN'T immune to the issues that the Classic has (had?)-hopefully Ford has finally lowered the boom on them. Or Champ Labs is going to have a new customer.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Absolutely agreed.

But without knowing the total numbers produced you have no real idea of the failure rate. We're all just guessing.

I am amazed at the numbers reported just here though, it really is a poor advertisement for quality!

If you look at the "failure rate" based on how many filters are cut open by members here, then IMO the failure rate is way too large to ignore. The odds of only bad filters getting into only the hands of BITOG members who cut open filters is astronomical. Therefore my conclusion is that if you could magically cut open every Purolator ever used you would see that it's going everywhere - not just here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back