Fram PH7317 (renamed from TG7317) Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 6yo son and I cut open a Fram TG7317 from our 2007 Honda Odyssey. The oil during this interval was Mobil 1. Note that I didn't install this filter, it was selected and installed by the previous owner.

Note the grit/gunk in the bottom of the can, and the pleat spacing as compared to a XG7317. I replaced the filter with an XG7317.

All pics taken by my son.

20150524_170236.jpg

20150524_170312.jpg

20150524_170349.jpg

20150524_170401.jpg

20150524_170512.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I miss something, is there a pic of a XG7317 here to compare the TG7317 with?

The filter pleats in pic 3 & 4 look normal, but in pic 5 they look more spread apart. So one side of the filter is pretty normal and the other side they are spread apart more? Sloppy construction. But I am sure it still filtered properly.

Isn't that a PH7317 rather than a TG? In any case, it looks pretty good, though as you mention, not as good as an XG.

Not a TG, an orange can "Extra Guard" 'PH'7317. Last pic shows imo some skimpy pleating ie., relatively wide pleat spacing in that area. WM price list shows $4.12.

Without an fci, tough to tell much beyond it looks to have done adequate job. In that common application size, one I regularly use, not a filter I'd chase.

And construction-wise imo, not even in the same ball park as the XG you replaced it with.

Thanks for the pics.

As has been said already, it's a PH7317. Unless it came out of a TG7137 box at Walmart because someone else switched it!

My mistake....it is a PH7317

It says "extra guard" on the side of the can, however.

For some reason, I can't edit my original post.

Your filter cutter puts my Longacre to shame. You could go to war with your cutter. Typical Fram orange can filter. Probably did as good of job as needed, but I don't have any rear end to spare so I'm not going to let my mouth run over and get me in trouble. There are better oil filter choices available A lot of members here like the Fram Extended Guard. I like the Denso oil filters.

One of the more typical orange cans, worked fine, held up well but the lack of pleats near the seam is simply ugly. I can't help but think they could increase media area in some of these by 30 or 40 percent for just pennies a filter.

All orange can Frams are called Extra Guard, kinda similar to Extended Guard which can be confusing as that is what the Ultra used to be called before it's latest upgrade and name change.

Not all orange cans are created equal, the PH3600, PH3980 and PH9688 have more pleats than most for some reason. I imagine there are a few others but those are the ones I have noted.

On the other hand the PH8A's and PH16's usually look like a kindergarten craft project. Fram would be well served to upgrade the media on those two as the lion's share of internet bashing tend to feature those two filters and they are indeed ugly. Fortunately Fram's media is very strong and the gaping spacing does not seem to lead to tears or holes.

That doesn't look too good, the pleat spacing looks like the PH8As & PH16s I've seen in the past, waiting for a pleat to tear AND pulling down on the end cap, causing the ADBV to leak. I would say PASS (this from someone who thinks the Ultra filters are the BEST deal going!).

Shame it doesn't look like the back side all the way around but then that would be a tough gaurd lol. Looks to have held up well otherwise.
how many miles?

Wow, with a filter cutter that nice you will breeze thru the class to get your Filter Cutting Certificate.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
That doesn't look too good, the pleat spacing looks like the PH8As & PH16s I've seen in the past, waiting for a pleat to tear AND pulling down on the end cap, causing the ADBV to leak. I would say PASS (this from someone who thinks the Ultra filters are the BEST deal going!).

YET it didn't damage and held up fine...

Too bad the seam didnt look like the 3rd and 4th picture. So far, the PH3600 seems to be the only filter with what i'd consider to have a visually appealing amount of media.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
One of the more typical orange cans, worked fine, held up well but the lack of pleats near the seam is simply ugly. I can't help but think they could increase media area in some of these by 30 or 40 percent for just pennies a filter.

I don't mind the fiber end caps, but I don't like the skimping of filter media. If Fram increases the filter media by 30-40% then it would be a good filter. But if they do that then the Tough Guard will be hard to sell for $2-3 more than Extra Guard.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

YET it didn't damage and held up fine...
The bad thing is, when you get the wide pleat spacing, the pleats pull down on the end cap & ruin the ADBV sealing surface. At least they don't usually tear like a Purolator.

Even if the endcaps "pull down" a bit on the outside edges, which I have only seen on filters pushed well beyond their intended use life, the ADBV is firmly seated on the center of the endcap on top of the metal center tube.

The ADBV on the orange can is simply not very good. It works okay in most applications but if you put it on an application with a horizontal mount (like my Jeep) it will struggle in my experience.

Thanks for the comments (and the edit!)

There was approximately 5000 miles on this filter at the time of the cutting.

Appreciate the comments on my cutter. I made a post about the design and fabrication it a while back. If I find some free time, I might make a few more of them if there is interest.

Here's another pic:

20140903_222133.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back